Response to the Kimani Gray Shooting

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Jumaane Williams, New York City councilmember (D-45) representing Flatbush, East Flatbush, Flatlands, and Canarsie in Brooklyn, discusses the NYPD shooting of 16-year-old Kimani Gray in Brooklyn and Monday night's protest in response to the incident.

Jumaane D. Williams
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

black puma from United States

Christopher Dorner snitched and he got.fired and. Shot. Police. Don't. Snitch either

Mar. 14 2013 12:26 PM
glork

Since "don't snitch" is the code of the streets, there can't be any 'eyewitnesses' to give 'testimony',now, can there- so let's see how the streets administer 'justice' now. Can't have it both ways.

Mar. 14 2013 08:23 AM
John from office.

Becky just can not accept that the Black Community fails to educate or police itself. Resulting in a 16 year old running around with a gun and ending up dead from police action. She and the "community" then blame the cops. Cops who were black and hispanic. Black NY, detroit, chicago, Miami are all doomed to a form of cultural suicide.

Mar. 14 2013 08:13 AM
e from out west

I love Becky for patiently dealing with all these guys who perpetuate vicious stereotypes. I totally agree with Rich, she deserves kudos for saying what's right and fair.
wondering if Brian has seen the new Eugene Jarecki documentary, "The House I Live In" (or plans to bring Jarecki on) which deals with the unfair way the drug war is prosecuted against low-income white and black people. Pretty intense documentary.

Mar. 14 2013 01:57 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Wayne from Bed Stuy said:

> Stop & Frisk is the new lynching

That is an incredibly ignorant thing to say.

If you think being frisked is the same as lynching, you are horribly uneducated.

Please google "lynching". I hope you will be honest and retract your comment.

Mar. 14 2013 01:12 AM
Wayne from Bed Stuy

4 arrests = possible threat? Do any of you know what constitutes an arrest in East Flatbush? I see at least 1 stop and frisk every time I ride the subway. It's called 'being black'. Stop & Frisk is the new lynching. It just takes longer to tear the people and the community apart. It is just as invasive and violent.

Mar. 13 2013 11:05 PM

Becky, I was actually referring to your adversaries in that context of the word. That said, I regret the untintended truculence of the tone :-)

Mar. 13 2013 02:56 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

BECKY, Please stop playing the Race Card.

Now I'm SMDH.

Mar. 13 2013 12:33 PM
The Truth from Becky

EDWARD - my community? When did I say I was Black? Thanks for making my point.

Mar. 13 2013 12:22 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

>EDWARD _ CAN YOU READ? I am for calling the police on any person in violation of the law, yep, even if they are of African Descent. PS, don't use slang with me. (snitching??? SMDH)

The word "snitching" existed long before you think your community began to use it.

Are you aware of criminal activity, drug dealers, gangs operating in your neighborhood and have you or other people you know ANONYMOUSLY report that activity to the police and did the police investigate?

SMDH? I had to look it up. BTW, you should have more respect for your head.

Do you think children raised without fathers is good?

Mar. 13 2013 12:00 PM
CBR from Brooklyn

I don't advocate anyone being shot, but the fact that this boy already had four arrests at the age of 16 really diminishes his "innocence". This young man was shot at 1130pm at night on the streets. What was he doing outside at that hour, particularly in East Flatbush which isn't the safest area? I'm a 35 year old woman and I'm rarely out after 9pm.

Mar. 13 2013 11:55 AM
The Truth from Becky

Wait500 - not obsessed, that reply was connect to John and Ed's post.

Mar. 13 2013 11:46 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Becky, What is your position on "Stop Snitching"?

"Snitching" to the police if one knows of drug, gang, gun activity?

Are you Pro-Snitching to the police or Anti-Snitching to the police?

Mar. 13 2013 11:42 AM
The Truth from Becky

Rich - understood, I don't always agree with you and respect your opinion as well, tone is hard to determine in print and, can't delete or alter the last post either, hazards of this type of forum.

Mar. 13 2013 11:40 AM
The Truth from Becky

Edward, lock 'em up and throw away the key.

wait500 - I'm sorry who are you? Obsessed is not the right word here, and why are you not?

Rich - I didn't say YOU were being sarcastic, I was.,.and for you to say that I am laboring without a purpose is asinine, (see I know big words too) I say what I say because it needs to be said for the people in that neighborhood who don't have access to this forum.

next...

Mar. 13 2013 11:38 AM

There go those double posts again. Apologies for that. My browser (yeah I'm using explorer :-( ) doesn't like me

Mar. 13 2013 11:34 AM

Becky, I don't always agree with you, but I respect your opinion :-)

Mar. 13 2013 11:31 AM

Becky, I don't always agree with you, but I respect your opinion :-)

Mar. 13 2013 11:31 AM

No sarcasm from me :-) I sincerely give you credit for doing what seems to me the Sisyphean task of highlighting the nuance of something so complex to those who....let me say, are less than open minded and more likely to confuse anecdote with fact.

Mar. 13 2013 11:28 AM

Mar. 13 2013 11:28 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

What's the deal with the "no snitching to the police"?

Who does that benefit?

Mar. 13 2013 11:24 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

"Gun toting psycho white boys shooting up children and their parents"?

Lock 'em up and throw away the key.

What is your position on "Gun toting psycho black boys shooting up children and their parents"

Mar. 13 2013 11:21 AM

Becky, what is with the focus on white boys? Why are you obsessed with white boys with guns? Seems like you're one doing the lumping together.

Mar. 13 2013 11:21 AM
The Truth from Becky

Also Rich, to call me tenacious for coming to the defense of the hard working Black people in the community means you think everyone in the community is a thug and that makes you ignorant!

Mar. 13 2013 11:20 AM
The Truth from Becky

Thanks Rich (sarcastic eye here) and I will always be tenacious about negative stereotypes against an entire community.

Mar. 13 2013 11:18 AM
The Truth from Becky

Same for you Ed, Just like John negative stereotypes are so built up in your heads until you both can't see the truth JUST like the police. Lumping all of the Black Community together and then trying to ostracize this man for speaking out and the President and other "community leaders" for NOT speaking out. Why can't people see what occurs in the community in comparison? Gun toting psycho white boys shooting up children and their parents? Why are they doing that Ed? John?

Mar. 13 2013 11:16 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Instead of going on and on about soda cup sizes, Bloomberg should outlaw Gangsta culture and out of wedlock births, 70% at last report.

Self Destructive "culture" is what is killing people.

Mar. 13 2013 11:15 AM

Becky gets an "A" for tenacity.

Mar. 13 2013 11:13 AM
Ed from NYC from Woodside

Same old, same old. No actual concrete suggestions about how to hinder crime just complaints about how current system doesn't work. More suggestions about seeking economic empowerment zones which means throwing more money at the problem. No talk about the fact that the community only riots toward the police and never toward the drug dealers and gangs who commit the regular, everyday violence. No community responsibility. His sole point of view is to look for anyone and everyone outside of the community to give it more money that it can use at will for its own benefit. No self-searching, no community issues discussed, just the big old bad police.

And he didn't use the word riot - he said mayhem. Pff. Waste of time to give him a platform.

Mar. 13 2013 11:01 AM
The Truth from Becky

John first you don't need to use the all encompassing "Black Community" - it is not all of the Black Community that are involved in negative behaviour. There are sections of the Community same as in your spanish community, who are the "bad element" and yes, their behaviour needs to be addressed and they need to be held accountable BUT at the same time neither community deserves to be violated.

Mar. 13 2013 11:00 AM

We need more politicians like Jumaane Williams. Whether you agree or disagree with him, he exercises good old fashioned thought before speaking. Take note Michelle Bachmann.

Mar. 13 2013 10:58 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Jumaane Williams is walking a thin line. First, it was him attending the funeral of Shantel Williams last year, now this?

Who's side is he on? Is he on the side of young, black Christopher Rose, who got stabbed and killed for his ipod, or the thugs who did it? Is he on the side of Zurana Horton - the East NY mother, killed shielding kids or, the two young men who decided to have the shootout near a school, that ended up killing her?

For all I know - maybe the NYPD did plant the gun, their illegal and disrespectful stop and frisk policies don't endear them to minority youth - all fatal shootings should be investigated. But if this kid had a gun and pointed it to cops, as its alleged - he got what's coming.

Mar. 13 2013 10:56 AM
john from office

Wow, this is a leader??

Mar. 13 2013 10:56 AM
uscdadnyc from Queens NY

Did President Obama or Rev. Sharpton have any comments? Were they MIA?
AAR I am glad Dinkins is not mayor. WRT the disturbance(s) that followed,
Ask me Again about why I DO NOT support Additional Gun Control.

Mar. 13 2013 10:54 AM
John from office

Here we go again. Evil police shoot innocent black youth!! NOT

When will the black community address the criminality in their youth and not blame the police for doing POLICE WORK. Why did his mom not know where her son was and that he had a gun??

How does stealing a cash register, wrecking a bodega and a drug store not reinforce the negative image of black youth??

Wanting the THUG LIFE leads to death folks.

Mar. 13 2013 10:06 AM