Can Movies Change the World?

Monday, April 28, 2008

TED curator Chris Anderson and Jehane Noujaim, documentary filmmaker (Control Room) preview their Tribeca Film Festival panel to talk about Pangea Day โ€“ where 24 films will be shown in 4 hours all around the world.
Has a film ever changed your world? Comment below!

Event
The Pangea Day panel discussion takes place Tuesday 4/29 at 7PM at the Directors Guild Theater. Tickets are available through the Tribeca Film Festival website.
If you can't see the video click here

Chris Anderson and Jehane Noujaim

Bob from New Haven CT

This seems like an excellent event for participation by free public libraries. I can think of thousands of communities that simply have no movie theaters but do have libraries that function very much as "community campfires" with excellent electronic media capabilities.

Apr. 30 2008 05:33 PM
eva

When I was 21, "Crimes and Misdemeanors", crushed me. I had never seen a film that addressed morality so starkly. Also, it has some of the funniest comic bits I've ever seen. I moved to New York shortly after that, looking for the models on which Cliff Stern and Judah Rosenthal were constructed.
Kurosawa's "Dersu Uzala" and Brooks' "Blazing Saddles" (with screenwriting help from Richard Pryor) convinced me that there are innovative solutions to all sorts of problems. Brooks' and Allen's early comedies, as well as the Cohen Brothers "Big Lebowski" are healthily subversive, and remind you that the people in authority aren't any less nuts than the people they oversee.

Apr. 28 2008 01:28 PM
peter

easy: koyaanisqatsi

Apr. 28 2008 01:18 PM
Joan from Manhattan

I stoped eating meat on my own when I was 8 years old, but seeing video footage of slauterhouses and other meat industry procedures certainly sealed the deal (much to my parent's dismay). Connecting through video to the reality and effects of one's personal day-to-day choices (be it food, transportation, goods, votes, etc.) really can have a lasting effect. My life continues to acquire restrictions as I learn more about my role in the world (particularly about where I spend my money), but it's worth it. I need to sleep at night.

Apr. 28 2008 12:11 PM
Mary from Queens

I think Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth has had a wide- ranging impact in terms of increasing awareness and the public dialogue around environmental issues.

Apr. 28 2008 12:03 PM
Howard from nyc

great movie for all people. "ROSHAMON"

Apr. 28 2008 12:00 PM
Darius from brooklyn

"You can't be neutral on a moving train" which chronicles the life of historian Howard Zinn and what your principles mean to you.

Apr. 28 2008 11:59 AM
Cindy from manhattan

Dead Man Walking changed my thinking about the death penalty. I had been against the death penalty prior to seeing the film, and afterward I was agast at my own feelings. When Sean Penn said he was cold and Susan Saradon got him a sweater, all I could think was who got his victim a sweater and who comforted her? It made me more sensitive to victims and less concerned about people who commit violent acts.

Apr. 28 2008 11:59 AM
Jane from Brooklyn

As a 15 year old in the SouthWest, watching Woody Allen changed my life. I knew I needed to move to NYC.

Apr. 28 2008 11:57 AM
megan from Park Slope

I wonder how politicized the selection and the content of the films are....

Apr. 28 2008 11:54 AM
NiceDay from NYC

Are sales tickets going to be donated to any charity?

Apr. 28 2008 11:49 AM
hip_hop_says from brooklyn

not the movies coming out now...i saw an advertisement for bagman a horror-spoof (or maybe the filmmakers were serious) this weekend while taking in a flick at Landmark Sunshine...the trailer was indicative of the crap coming out of the film industry right now.

Also, given the high costs for a movie ($12 for a ticket and another $10 for snacks - popcorn/soda/ju-ju fruit, etc.)a wide enough audience is not going to see it to ensure a critical mass for change....

Apr. 28 2008 11:31 AM