Registering Gun Criminals

Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. talks about his State of the Bronx speech, including a proposal to create a registry of criminals who use guns, like that for sex offenders.

Ruben Diaz, Jr.
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

stacys from NY

I am all for a gun registry. I want to know if there are guns in the homes of the children where my children may play. I don't care how responsible the parents are, kids are kids and they explore.

Mar. 08 2013 07:44 AM
minor league

Everyone will be on the registry and if your gay or lesbian or owe taxes or child support, be aware of who u vote for!

Mar. 08 2013 12:30 AM
Sex Offender Issues

If an online registry is okay for ex-sex offenders, then we should have just one registry with all crimes on it, otherwise we are wasting money by creating more registries when we already have one.

Like we have said many times, the sex offender registry is the test bed, and more registries will come, it's only a matter of time, and this, along with the link above, is proof of that.

We also find it very ironic and hypocritical that now these people are coming out against it saying it's draconian, will ruin lives, and that the people have served their time. Well duh! But, if it's done to ex-sex offenders, then it should be done to all criminals!

So, which registry will you be on?

Mar. 07 2013 09:43 PM
Jillian from Dutchess

This is on the general topic of registries and gun owners. To start: I am not against owning guns. My thought process is just around the bottom line, stripped of emotions and politics, etc - guns are weapons designed to maim or kill. People want to own them for various reasons. What is so wrong with a registry that lists who we are that own them? We cannot even own a car without being registered, why not a gun? If we want the right to own something that is designed to kill (not a pen, which could kill someone, it is not designed for that purpose), then that right should come with certain responsibilities to protect the public. Why can't one of those responsibilities be to reveal who we are as owners? Where does privacy come into this? Why has it come into this?

Mar. 06 2013 12:57 PM
The Truth from Becky

Pointless, just one more tool to be misused.

Mar. 06 2013 11:04 AM

I'm not sure about any positive effects of the sex offender registry. Does the whole neighborhood move away when it is found that someone in the area was convicted of a sex crime?

Mar. 06 2013 11:02 AM

I'm surprised that this gun crime registry proposal is being supported by Ruben Diaz because the majority of people that would be stigmatized by this law are young Black and Latino males, most of whom are already marginalized by our economy & criminal justice system. The last thing this society needs is to push these at-risk populations further to the fringes.

But I'd just like to note that the sex offender registry doesn't protect children because the majority of sex crimes are committed by people not on the registry. I like the sex offender registry, but I also understand what the stigma of the registry has done to those offenders: they are unable to get jobs and unable to get housing. Many live in homeless shelters and are dependent on welfare. And the numbers of sex offenders on the registry continue to grow because they are on the registry for life.

Mar. 06 2013 10:59 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

This reminds of hysterical politicians during the 1980’s crack epidemic when all kinds of laws were passed. To what effect? Having huge numbers of people in the prison industrial complex who should not have been there.
Also, when there is no chance for reintegration into society by the convicted they will return to crime.
This politician is a really idiot.

Mar. 06 2013 10:52 AM
Jonahfreedman from Pure logic

Gun producers need to get life sentances! They are ultimately responsible. Draconian police state doesnt work.makes more crime pain and anguish. Look up recititivism. Gun company ceos need to be lined up and shot. They make a tool that leads to so much human misery.e ery prisoner needs free college in prison, there will be no recititivism. Dont blame the victim the shooter and the shot are both victims of the gun corporation.

Mar. 06 2013 10:51 AM
Mike from Tribeca

Brenda from New York City -- I was scratching my head over that as well.

Mar. 06 2013 10:46 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I am FOR GUNS, EXCEPT in the hands of criminals! Guns are GOOD! Criminals are BAD!

Mar. 06 2013 10:46 AM

@ John, I'm not a fan of Mr. Diaz, but you shouldn't judge someone based on their speech.

Mar. 06 2013 10:45 AM
jc from NNJ

THE SCARLET LETTER comes to mind.

Hey, I want to know which of my neighbors is being prescribed psycho-drugs since EVERY one of the mass shooters in the past several years has been on them ...

Why don't we have a public list of those convicted of manslaughter? (most murderers are in prison for life, at our expense, so we don't need that list)

Why don't we have a public list of EVERY person who has been convicted of a felony crime... since we should be on the lookout for them to repeat ...

Mar. 06 2013 10:45 AM

Brenda
accountable for the rest of their lives?

as a taxpayer are you accountable for the poor state of public education?

Mar. 06 2013 10:45 AM
Tom Pinch

Stop-n-Frisk just acclimates kids to police and arrest. It's a gateway drug to a life of prison and the justice system. Soooooo wrong!

Mar. 06 2013 10:44 AM

Another scarlet letter approach, this time with guns.. We all know how effective that strategy has been.

Mar. 06 2013 10:43 AM
john from office

This guy belongs on Webster Avenue, wearing low slung pants, sneakers and a hoodie.

Mar. 06 2013 10:42 AM
MikeInBrklyn from Clinton Hill

I quite frankly don't give a damn to know the address of those who own guns or have convictions for gun crimes. All I care about is that unnecessary gun ownership is properly regulated. What benefit will come from knowing the address of a gun owner?

This is just another example of stupid politics and posturing without addressing the real issues that causes a problem.

I am adamantly against guns, but this is not a way to solve the problem of gun violence.

And John in the Office, try a little more sensitivity. The man speak pretty damn good English to me. What if he has an accent.

Mar. 06 2013 10:42 AM
brooklynmom78 from the slope

I will say that I agree with the comment that violence committed with a gun is not "just a mistake" or something that happened casually. Studies have shown that people with violent tendencies tend to start committing crimes at an early age, and the vast majority of them will be violent again. I personally have no problem with posting a list like this, although it's definitely NOT a deterrent. People who commit violent crimes with guns are usually not thinking about a public list on the internet... They're usually not in a position where this kind of thing would matter to them anyway.

Mar. 06 2013 10:42 AM

This sounds great, we can expand this to people who speak out against the government and label them domestic terrorists

Mar. 06 2013 10:42 AM
Claudia from Midtown

I live in the Bronx. I agree with the caller who grew up in Bed-Stuy. The "safety" interests dont outweigh the privacy rights of the ex-offender. In addition, if I know a neighbor shot someone, is my confronting him or her athing that will make my neighborhood safe or put me and my family in possible harm's way? It is not analogous to the sex offender list unless you are talking about the stigma. I totally disagree with Mr. Diaz!

Mar. 06 2013 10:41 AM
Brenda from New York City

I'm not sure I understand the caller's objection to teenagers being held accountable for their actions.

Mar. 06 2013 10:41 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I support the Borough president's proposal to register and publicize the names of criminals who have used guns in crime. As for the knee jerk liberal who is ideologically committed to never using punishment for anything, he's the kind of jerks who nearly destroyed New York City from 1968-1992.

Mar. 06 2013 10:41 AM
Bill DelGrosso from Manhattan

Does the Bronx Burough President think that a criminal record doesn't follow the convicted? What is the point of this?

Mar. 06 2013 10:41 AM
David from NYC

We could have the good here, and sorry its not perfect.
Thank you Mr. Diaz !!

Mar. 06 2013 10:41 AM
anna from brooklyn

Not sure who that David guy was, but he makes a lot of sense

Mar. 06 2013 10:40 AM

the force is strong is strong in this one...hey how bout posting lists of white collar criminals online (oh ya they don't get arrested) enuff of the nanny state mr politician 101.

Mar. 06 2013 10:39 AM
john from office

Ruben, it is "you are from" not "you from" also work on your plurals, words have the letter S at the end. You use the singular. Please work on your diction, wow. You are a "leader".

Mar. 06 2013 10:38 AM
Marcus from Brooklyn

How does gun offender registration protect people? Does knowing that someone in your neighborhood was previously convicted and served time for a crime make you safer? This is nonsense that will result in people being harassed for life because of past behavior.

Mar. 06 2013 10:36 AM
David from NYC

Really John....do you want Helen Marshell as your BP ??
MIA during Sandy
MIA as queens is brought and sold like a cheap hooker

Brian have you had her on...ever ???

Mar. 06 2013 10:35 AM

what is that weird echo? is he in a cave? i have to turn this down

Mar. 06 2013 10:30 AM
john from office

Here we go again, Mr. poor diction himself, proving that we are poorly represented in the Bronx.

This is the guy that wanted the police to negociate with street gangs.

He sounds like he took my advise and went for diction classes, almost sounds like an english speaker.

Mar. 06 2013 10:29 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

WHY isn't the lead segment today about the great restraint that Ray Kelly and the NYPD has shown in not arresting the scumbag who killed the couple and their unborn child in the livery cab?
Everyone knows who he is and where he works, but the NYPD has tried to avoid a violent situation by (still) waiting for him to turn his sorry butt into the police.... until he feels he is adequately lawyered up by our tax dollars.

How about a little credit for the NYPD here in slacker, whiny NPR Land?
Too addicted to cop-bashing and too busy with fluff stories about hip-hop and mold.

Mar. 06 2013 08:15 AM