John Liu's Challenge to U.S. Attorney

Tuesday, March 05, 2013

john liu, chinatown John Liu speaks to reporters afteran event in Chinatown, March 1, 2012. (Jessie Wright-Mendoza for WNYC)

Michael Saul, reporter covering City Hall for The Wall Street Journal, talks about mayoral hopeful John Liu's challenge to the U.S. attorney's office to "put up or shut up."

Michael Saul

lindorsrevlon from queens

The court of law says a person is innocent until proven guilty. I'm willing to give his staff the benefit of the doubt, as the evidence is flimsy at best, and sounded like they had to nail something on someone or the feds would look bad, spending so much money to wire tap an elected official with nothing to show for it.

Mar. 05 2013 01:20 PM
John Doe from queens

If the people around him are being indicted something is wrong; birds of a feather flock together.

I am not as upset as much about this investigation as I am by something else i heard about him - a rumor - that if true is very troubling. Someone told me that when Liu enters the room, his staff must rise. I took that to mean that if they are working in the outer office and he enters they must stop their work and rise. If this is in fact true it opens a whole bunch of troubling issues for me. First, why should anyone rise to satisfy the ego of anyone. It is polite to rise to greet guests and others in certain situations and especially if one does not see that person on a daily basis. But to ask your staff to rise? Has this man forgotten the humble background all of us here in America stem from or am I wrong, maybe he was a prince in his last life? I am a boss and since college have always worked in a supervisory capacity - if my staff rose when I walked into the room I would accuse them of not using their time wisely. compound this with people who are at desks working away in thought and if they rise every morning for this man, not only is the time they spent rising a waste but it will take them time to get back into their thought process - all this - the taxpayer's time and money - wasted to serve the needs of an ego. I hope this little story I heard about him was false.

Back to the investigation. At this point Mr Liu is washed up. If his judgement is so impeded by his ego (what I wrote in the last paragraph, if true, tells us what we are dealing with) it is time for him to realize, that even if he is not guilty, he has made some mistakes by association, mistakes I might add cannot be corrected by mere changes in behavior but are probably indicators of a deep seated problem concerning his character, then how can he expect the voters to believe he is credible? I consider mr liu a third rate candidate not worth listening to or watching.

Mar. 05 2013 11:42 AM
Noach (Independent, Anti-Corporate Traditionalist) from Brooklyn

I do not know enough to have an opinion on the credibility of the allegations that have been leveled against Comptroller Liu. But I must ask: Even assuming that the worst is true, is there not a glaring inconsistency in the fact that Liu is being pursued while the architects of the financial collapse (that has caused far more misery than Liu could ever have dreamed of) enjoy complete impunity?

Not only have there been exactly ZERO prosecutions of these predatory criminals[1] but a man representative of that very sordid culture, Jack Lew, is the President's choice for Treasury Secretary!

I implore all of my fellow Jews who care about justice to renounce and castigate Mr. Lew and exhort him to repent.

NOTES:

[1] Two relevant and recommended books:
-'With Liberty and Justice for Some: How the Law Is Used to Destroy Equality and Protect the Powerful' by Gleen Greenwald (Picador, 2012)
-'The Great American Stickup: How Reagan Republicans and Clinton Democrats Enriched Wall Street While Mugging Main Street' by Robert Scheer (Nation Books, 2010)

Mar. 05 2013 11:40 AM

Mr. Liu has painted himself into a corner, here: Either he was aware of his campaign's criminality and he's lying to keep himself in the race OR he was ignorant of it. If he was ignorant of it, that doesn't say much for his management skills, in that there was no oversight, checks or balances in his campaign. (His day job is financial comptroller, by the way!) Putting that aside, it gets even worse: The fact that he refuses to take responsibility for the actions of his employees is appalling. Anyone with a conscience would have withdrawn from the race after their campaign treasurer was indicted, if not before. Furthermore, do we really need another Bloomberg at City Hall who will stonewall, make excuses and pass the buck at every crisis, instead of simply taking the blame like any real boss must?

Mar. 05 2013 11:33 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

From what I understood, Liu told plenty of lies during his run for Comptroller and I did not vote for him. Until and unless he clears up all the misinformation from his last campaign and his various aides are cleared of all their charges, I think my support will have to go elsewhere in the Democratic forum.

Politicians are notorious for twisting things, but I do vote for the most honest candidate I can find and Mr. Liu doesn't qualify.

Mar. 05 2013 11:29 AM

Caller "Steve" from California:

Challenging the feds is MORONIC and a clear indication of just how STUPID Liu actually is!!

TOTALLY AGREE.

Can't wait to see this guy frog-hopped.

Mar. 05 2013 11:23 AM
antonio from bayside

Of course there going to keep these allegations in the news. Don't ny'ers remember what happened to Carl McCall? New York City Power Brokers/Elite don''t like liberal candidates for mayor. Anyone with smarts for the poor is going to get the coals!

Mar. 05 2013 11:19 AM
mr nyc

It's well known in City Hall circles that Bloomberg and Davis Yasky are behind this investigation. Bloomberg is angry that Liu exposed City Time and Yasky is bitter that Liu beat him and they are powerful, well connected people.

Mar. 05 2013 11:16 AM
RL

it's not about Lui himself being indicted. it's about the people he surrounds himself with being indicted. it shows a real lack of judgment in his choice of associates. imagine what it would be like with him as mayor. not good for new yorkers. he doesn't pass the smell test.

Mar. 05 2013 11:12 AM
john from office

He is not seeking money from all those listed, YET!

Mar. 05 2013 11:10 AM
Tony from Canarsie

Last week, Lui accused the DA's office of dragging its feet in their investigation (for some unstated nefarious purpose), but from what I've read his lawyers have done all they can to drag this out.

Who's correct?