2013 Race for Mayor: Low-Income New Yorkers

Friday, March 01, 2013

Mayoral Forum (Brigid Bergin, WNYC News)

Last night, Brian Lehrer moderated a forum of mayoral candidates on their visions for how to help low-income New Yorkers and working families. We'll play extended clips from the "2013 Race for Mayor: What's in it for Low-Income New Yorkers?" event.

Candidates included:

• Sal Albanese, former New York City Councilman
  • Tom Allon, CEO of Manhattan Media
  • Bill de Blasio, New York City Public Advocate
  • Adolfo Carrión, Jr., former director of the White House Office of Urban Affairs and former Borough President of The Bronx
  • John Liu, New York City Comptroller
  • Christine Quinn, speaker of the New York City Council
  • Bill Thompson, former New York City Comptroller and 2009 Democratic candidate for mayor
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Steven Marca from Harlem

I'm a social worker at a supportive residence for formerly homeless adults.

I attended the event last night and was disappointed that candidates didn't discuss affordable housing until the crowd forced them to. Too much emphasis on "donor bases" and not enough on affordable housing and access to health care.

Check out my brief summary of the forum at my blog: http://triangularschism.tumblr.com

Mar. 01 2013 05:43 PM
Susan

This is a case where video would be really helpful because it's hard to tell who's talking.

Mar. 01 2013 05:22 PM
Susan

WNYC, please explain why the candidates who are absent are absent. This is a pretty important point to include. Were they all invited? What reasons did the absent ones provide for not participating?

Mar. 01 2013 05:12 PM
Samuel from Bronx

Albanese is my guy. He's the only one who isn't a slick politician avoiding the issues. Too bad the press has been ignoring him so far!

Mar. 01 2013 04:00 PM
Noach (Independent, Anti-Corporate Traditionalist) from Brooklyn

A followup to my initial comment:

I realized that I overlooked the glaringly obvious: That this panel was limited to mayoral candidates. (To the best of my knowledge, Barron has not announced entry into this race.)
__________________________________

@Tony:

Thank you for replying. I hadn't realized that Bloomberg had contributed to Thompson's campaign.

The obvious question is _why_? What would motivate Bloomberg to finance an _opponent_?

Two possible answers come to mind:

1.) In order to try to ensure that he would face what he considered to be a weak challenger.

2.) That Bloomberg, anticipating his victory over Thompson, was bribing him to be favorable toward what would be Bloomberg's agenda and image during his third-term.

I wonder whether you aware of Bloomberg's funding of "partners in crime" Lenora Fulani and Fred Neuman?

I recall hearing Errol Louis discuss this on the Lehrer and/or Lopate shows. Dennis King, author of an expose` of Lyndon LaRouche, has also covered the decidedly unsavory-- if not legally questionable, at best-- activities of Fulani/Newman.

(Louis has appeared both as guest as well as guest-host on WNYC)

Mar. 01 2013 01:25 PM
Tony from Tribeca

Noach -- "Bankrolling" is an exaggeration on my part, but Bloomberg contributed to Thompson's mayoral campaign, as well as directing city funds to Thompson's wife's cultural activities.

Mar. 01 2013 12:24 PM
Noach (Independent, Anti-Corporate Traditionalist) from Brooklyn

Tony from Canarsie wrote,

"Is Bloomberg bankrolling Bill Thompson's campaign like he did the last time?"

Wait...didn't Thompson run _against_ Bloomberg?

What am I missing?

Mar. 01 2013 10:54 AM
Noach (Independent, Anti-Corporate Traditionalist) from Brooklyn

Isn't someone like Charles Barron conspicuously absent from this panel?

For all his faults (and they are considerable), can any of the individuals on this panel rival Barron's record in condeming the very economic crimes and injustices that _low income New Yorker's_, more than anyone else, are the victims of? In speaking truth-to-power?
........................
Regarding John Liu, I admittedly know little about him. Nonetheless, I feel I can say with confidence this much: an outstanding champion of economic justice he is not. However, I _also_ can say that I would take John /Liu/ over Jack /Lew/ anyday.

My relief that Chuck Hagel prevailed over his war-wongering chickenhawk inquisitors is dampened by my utter dismay and shame at the confirmation of Jack Lew as chairman of the Treasury.

Lew strengthens the worse stereotypes about Jews as banksters, etc. I implore all of my fellow Jews who care about justice to castigate and renounce Lew, and urge him to repent from his complicity in economic injustice and predation-- something that the Torah explicitly calls "abomination" ['toeivah']

Pardon me for digressing ("as a man with a grievance will often do", as Jay Diamond would say.)

Mar. 01 2013 10:51 AM

I'm starting to think that "Cry-baby" Liu may have a disparate treatment complaint against U.S. Assistant Attorney General Office given the attention not given to "Queen" Quinn's admitted involvement in embezzling NYC funds.

(also of interest would be the tax payer funds spent on the legal representation given to the "Queen" and her Council during the criminal investigation of this malfeasance)
(but of course given Quinn's claim that this was an "acceptable", "well known", and "longstanding" Council practice it might also be a problem for Liu, Albanese, de Blasio, and Thompson)

Mar. 01 2013 10:45 AM

OMG, the lineup is SO thoroughly pathetic, you wonder if we should't just keep King Bloomberg®.

Mar. 01 2013 10:35 AM
Tony from Canarsie

Is Bloomberg bankrolling Bill Thompson's campaign like he did the last time?

Mar. 01 2013 10:33 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

The biggest problem for working New Yorkers is affordable housing, especially for families - many, who mask the problem by getting by, living in basements and in one bedroom apts.

Try getting a 3br in Crown Heights or Flatbush for less than $1700. 1brs in Bed Stuy, less than $1400 - are hard to come by.

Young, native, New Yorkers who make < 40k, can't afford to live on their own anymore.

Luxury apt developers and their buyers, have gotten their tax breaks, the very poor get their vouchers - working class renters have been left on their own the last 12 years in NYC.

Mar. 01 2013 10:31 AM

That Liu really has some BALLS!

I hope he goes to prison...AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!

Mar. 01 2013 10:31 AM
Tony from Canarsie

John Liu accuses prosecutors of "interrogating" his friends. I believe the proper term is "questioning," but then again I don't have a martyr complex.

Mar. 01 2013 10:31 AM