Open Phones: Food Taboos and What You'd Eat

Thursday, February 28, 2013

The horse meat scandal in Europe has us thinking about food taboos. Rachel Sanders, associate food editor at Buzzfeed, joins us to take your calls on where you draw the line when it comes to food.  Offal? Insects? Transfats?  Is there a line you won't cross when it comes to food?  Call us at 212-433-WNYC, 212-433-9692.

Rachel Sanders

The Truth from Becky

Trey you're right..horse meat is probably already in circulation!!

Feb. 28 2013 12:17 PM

After all that's been in the news, one cannot trust anything.

Feb. 28 2013 12:08 PM
The Truth from Becky

OMG, nasty - on the verge of puking!

Feb. 28 2013 12:08 PM
JohnBack from NJ

People eat oysters...it can't get any nastier than that as far as looks go.

Feb. 28 2013 12:06 PM
Al

Horsemeat has a distinctly sweet taste.
Horse steak is a very traditional dish in and around Verona.
Truly local trattorias (not tourist joints) will always feature it on the menu.
Do any of you remember that when beef prices soared in the 70's in the US,
horsemeat became widely available?

Feb. 28 2013 12:02 PM
Stella from downtown

Where do I draw the line? I don't eat anything with a face...

Feb. 28 2013 12:01 PM
PigCow from nyc

People who won't eat horses because they have "personality" --but will eat cows-- and people who won't eat pigs because "they're smart" should have no problem with cannibalism. There are plenty of pigs out there who are smarter than a lot of people.

Feb. 28 2013 12:00 PM
Bergen County Cook from Bergen County

Right now as you are discussing this, venison stew is in progress on my stove. Have only to add mushrooms at the end.

Feb. 28 2013 12:00 PM
matt from UWS

BRIAN --
EGGS AREN'T CHICKEN FETUSES Except when they're fertilized!
If unfertilized by a rooster, the egg is simply a potential fetus...

Feb. 28 2013 11:58 AM
Miranda from Manhattan

If it's an issue of not wanting to eat animals we consider to be pets, why are Americans more "ok" with eating rabbit? Not enough personality, as one caller suggested? As a veterinarian and almost-always-vegetarian, I do try meat while traveling and have eaten guinea pig, kangaroo, emu, camel... I don't understand the differentiation if you choose to eat meat.

Feb. 28 2013 11:57 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

RUCB - Black pudding or "blood suusage" I love, I eat shark, I would love to try iguana.. I'm not a fan of "souse" aka pickled pig feet though.

Feb. 28 2013 11:57 AM
Alex from Manhattan

Eggs are not fetuses. They would have to be fertilized in order to even come close.

Feb. 28 2013 11:56 AM
RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersy

Brian! Eggs are ova not fetuses. Fertilized eggs are not normally sold...but one does occasionally slip through.

Feb. 28 2013 11:56 AM
B

Brian -- fish eyeballs are eaten pretty commonly in Chinese culture! I never ate one myself, but my parents offered it to me all the time.

Feb. 28 2013 11:56 AM
Robert from NYC

I think all animals have personality and if you allow them to show it you might not eat them. Pigs are very smart and Iove pig.

Feb. 28 2013 11:56 AM
jf from Ny

When my wife was a child in japan they fed them whale for school lunch. I hope they stopped that now.

Feb. 28 2013 11:56 AM
john from office

Mondongo is a stew of the organ meats and tripe.

Feb. 28 2013 11:55 AM
John A

You can find Pupae in cans in any decent Philippino supermarket.
I still haven't opened my can.
There seems to be a gross out competition, including what is eaten, going on on YouTube that started Jan-2013. Please disregard.

Feb. 28 2013 11:55 AM
Robert from NYC

My grandfathers used to eat eyeballs. There is an italian meal cappozzella is lambs head that is cooked and placed on the table whole and you pick the meat off the bones including the eyes out of the socks.

Feb. 28 2013 11:55 AM
Leah from Brooklyn

We eat eyeballs! On Greek Orthodox Easter, we roast a whole lamb and eat everything - I mean, everything - including the eyeballs.

Feb. 28 2013 11:54 AM
Greg

My grandfather, in Germany, ate the entire fish - head and eyeballs.

Feb. 28 2013 11:54 AM
RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersey

@Rich_P
"Cow stomach...Yuck. A lot of Latinos eat it (I think it's called mondongo in those circles)."

We call it tripe and lots of folks eat it. Try chitterlings for a nose challenging but tasty alternative.

@The Truth from Becky
"I draw the line at Octopus and Goat meat"
Too bad. They are both delicious. Octopus can be a little rubbery. Goat meat stew is to die for.

My own hang-up - black pudding - prepared in the kettle before my face by draining a freshly pierced hog.

Feb. 28 2013 11:54 AM
Jack Macco from Astoria

Food Taboo: Fish Heads! I laugh hysterically at an old music video from the 1980s of that same title.
Last year, my girlfriend and I went to dinner with another couple to the Peking Duck House in Midtown. The wife of the other couple, who will remain anonymous, ordered up a plate of Fish Heads! She went right to work on them. Thank God I'm a vegetarian!

Feb. 28 2013 11:53 AM
fuva from harlemworld

It's not just that it's horse meat, but also how that meat makes it to your table. If it's slaughtered race/work horses, what chemicals were they shot up with along the way?

Feb. 28 2013 11:52 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

Instead of killing stray dogs and cats, they should be processed and eaten. It will save money in the budget, feed people and reduce an out of control pet population. Win-win-win.

Feb. 28 2013 11:52 AM
Robert from NYC

I eat brains, sweetbreads some other organs but insects for some reason turn me off. I think I'd try snake, my cousins did without knowing what it was and loved it. No horse for me nor human! Certainly no animal i consider a pet. I would love to visit China, it's a dream of mine but I couldn't because seeing the puppies in the cages in the markets would just upset me so much. I no longer eat veal or lamb and would like to get away from meat but I just love a piece of meat now and then. I love all vegetables and legumes and nuts and fruits, so I can get along well without meat but I just desired the taste of steak and pork chops and roasts now and then and chicken.

Feb. 28 2013 11:51 AM
pliny from soho

what about the many peoples who won't eat Pork

Feb. 28 2013 11:51 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Becky - goat meat is delicious. I draw the line at dogs.

Feb. 28 2013 11:50 AM
john from office

How anyone can eat a puppy, a cat or a horse is beyond me.

Feb. 28 2013 11:49 AM

Feb. 28 2013 11:49 AM
The Truth from Becky

Unless it's the "zombie apocalypse" I am NOT eating horse meat!!

Feb. 28 2013 11:49 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

My father was lucky to get dog meat and horse meat during the Siege of Leningrad. Tasted like chicken he said. Some were forced to eat their own children.

Feb. 28 2013 11:48 AM
Ash in Chelsea

I will simply NOT eat anything that MOVES! Ugh! Why? Smacks of cannibalism!!!

Feb. 28 2013 11:48 AM
Brian

Supermarket ground beef-- I'd sooner eat a real cut of just about anything than tiny particles of thousands of unaccounted-for cows and god knows what else.

Feb. 28 2013 11:48 AM
allisonanywhere from Brooklynite writing from Tajikistan

I would really like to know what happened to the poor horses!! They were the ones who were slaughtered. Where are they coming from? What conditions were they living in, etc.?

Feb. 28 2013 11:47 AM
The Truth from Becky

I draw the line at Octopus and Goat meat...

Feb. 28 2013 11:46 AM
Zeggae from Nj

I could never eat steak. It's the most repulsive thing to see people tearing at a bloody cattle carcass. No pork, cold cuts. Ugh

Feb. 28 2013 11:46 AM
Peg

Mayonnaise. Yucch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like pus

Feb. 28 2013 11:45 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

American's have to get over their food taboos. Seriously, go to china. They eat everything that moves. Protein is protein. In a few years, all the fat asses in this country will be consuming processed bug parts and horse meat and dog because we have too many people, too few resources and over consumption.

Feb. 28 2013 11:45 AM
Robert from NYC

I remember at the beginning of this horsemeat thing that Poland was thought to be the originator of the problem.

Feb. 28 2013 11:45 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

I went to Ikea in Red Hook a couple days ago just for the meatballs. They were delicious.

Feb. 28 2013 11:43 AM