Great Gospel Favorites

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Leonard Lopate hosts a one-hour gospel special in honor of Black History Month.

Playlist

Golden Gate Gospel Train, The Golden Gate Jubilee Quartet (under the billboard)

Good News, Marion Williams and Ward Singers

A City Called Heaven (Poor Pilgrim of Sorrow), Mahalia Jackson

What Makes a Man Turn His Back on God?, Bessie Griffin w. Alex Bradford

The Old Ship of Zion, Norsalus McKissick & Martin Singers

Walk Around, R. H. Harris w. Soul Stirrers

Touch the Hem of His Garment, Sam Cooke w. Soul Stirrers

Jesus Be My Keeper, Cecil Shaw w. the Union Spiritual Singers

Lord Hold My Hand, Jess Whitaker w. Pilgrim Travelers

Thank You for One More Day, Ira Tucker & Dixie Hummingbirds

Burying Ground, Julius Cheeks and the Sensational Nightingales

Everybody’s Gonna Have a Wonderful Time, Sister Rosetta Tharpe w. Dependable Boys

I’ve Got Religion, Mme. Edna Gallman Cooke w. Radio Four

The Moan that Keeps Homes Together, Marion Williams

Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child, J. Robert Bradley

Working on the Building, by Brother Joe May w. Sally Martin & Sally Martin Singers

Uncloudy Day, Mavis and the Staples Singers

God Be With You, J. Earle Hines w. St. Paul’s Baptist  Church Choir

Pete Hunt from England.

There are numerous Gospel recordings on CD format to be purchased..

Look on e bay !! five blind boys of Alabama, Mahalia, The Swan Silvertones,
Dixie Humingbirds,Inez Andrews ,the wonderful list is almost endles....

May. 19 2013 04:48 AM
Nacho Man from Stockholm

Thank you Leonard! I always look forward to this.

Mar. 04 2013 07:38 AM
Susan Ettinger

I loved this segment and I would like to purchase CDs of some of the masters recorded; especially the old gospel ones. Are there any CDs one can recommend? Please let me know. Thank you,
A grateful daily listener,
Susan Ettinger

Mar. 01 2013 12:21 PM
Rene Grullon from San Juan, Puerto Rico

One the most beautiful musical genres that has ever been sung on earth. Thank you for wonderful segment, Leonard. Greetings from San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Feb. 28 2013 05:18 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Great show, Leonard. If I had my way, there'd an annual Sister Rosetta Tharpe federal holiday.

Feb. 28 2013 01:20 PM
bob pon from Morningside Heights

The most beautiful music - life-giving. Thank you.

Feb. 28 2013 01:10 PM
Chris from Chelsea

So good to hear these tunes on the radio, great show as usual.

Feb. 28 2013 01:00 PM
fuva from harlemworld

Mavis. Staples. HalleLUjah!

Feb. 28 2013 12:58 PM
Jim Clarke

On Wednesday, Feb 20, I had the opportunity to attend a fascinating lecture on the history of African-American Spitituals given by music historian Charle Horner (www.classicurbanharmony.net). Part of the presentation was an historical display set up by Charlie and his wife Pam Everything from wax cylinders to programs, photos, records, etc. The program was so well received that the display will be expanded and housed at the library until June. The library is located at 485 DeMott Lane in Somerset, NJ. I would urge everyone to see it.

Feb. 28 2013 12:56 PM
ericjhenderson from bklyn

Just passing through the stations and was arrested by this playlist. Cool to hear it in the context of black history month as Leonard stated - cooler if they would have a show like this, additionally and on, say, a random day in September, just as a slice of Americana to change the context. Great stuff. thanks.

Feb. 28 2013 12:47 PM
George from Brooklyn

Leonard,
In past years, I confess to dismissing as merely quaint your practice of playing this classic gospel music on your show, however, today I feel very different. I'm not sure why, but the majesty and power of these artists is hitting me full force today, and for that I am grateful to them and to you...

Feb. 28 2013 12:46 PM
Burroughs Lamar from Harlem

This music makes me proud to be a black American for through slave hollerers used song to ward off their toil and misery sprang gospel music.

Feb. 28 2013 12:37 PM
john from office

Compare the beauty of this music to the noise of today. These are people of honor and strength. God willing they will return.

Feb. 28 2013 12:36 PM
The Truth from Becky

Nice...at the END of Black History month, this.

Feb. 28 2013 12:19 PM
Dale from Brooklyn, NY

Whenever Leonard gets around to playing Gospel, I wonder what kind of dance moves he's busting out in the studio.

Feb. 28 2013 12:10 PM

Mahalia Jackson singing "Take My Hand, Precious Lord" at Martin Luther King Jr.'s funeral in April 1968.

Feb. 28 2013 11:57 AM
sanych

Boney M "Rivers of Babylon"

Feb. 28 2013 10:37 AM
Ed from Larchmont

For the African American Church the spirituals served as a catechism and liturgy and container of tradition, and beauty which gave hope.

Feb. 28 2013 08:06 AM