What Spike Lee and Richard Parsons Know

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Dennis Kimbro, leadership coach and the author of The Wealth Choice: Success Secrets of Black Millionaires, tells the stories of successful African Americans.

Dennis Kimbro

What Bill Parsons knows, or rather whom he knew was Nelson Rockefeller. After that Good Bill failed his way to the top. I wish motivational speakers would use their charlatan skills to try to convince people to truly help each other or try to become the next Martin Luther King, Jr. Oh wait...there's no money in that.

Feb. 28 2013 05:06 PM

Richard Parsons! First he trashed CItibank (what Weill left of it), then he led Time Warner straight into the garbage dump it's in today....

Last I heard of him he'd dumped his wife to marry a model-philanthropist....

Is there a difference between rich and wealth? I hope so!

Feb. 28 2013 01:41 PM
Jim from Brooklyn

I'm hearing stacks of faux pas coming from a man preaching above all, the use and employment of knowledge. The biggest gaff is his story of the rich black guy at his same vet who was driving the old, beat up Hyundai Pickup. This is pure invention as Hyundai does not make a pickup truck. I'm not sure taking the Martin Luhter King tone and spinning it to extoll the virtues of money is a becoming thing either. Tons of money is the prime ingredient for white scumbags, I'm not sure what would make a black millioniare or billionaire that much different. If anything the black millionaires I have met are much more smug than their white counterparts (who are also accomplished dirtbags)-- and both, in my poor opinion, belong to the same class of people I don't want to have dinner with. There's nothing wrong with having ENOUGH money. There is very much wrong with people consumed with amassing it to the detriment of others.
NO ONE IN THIS "MONEY IS GOOD" COUNTRY EVER TAKES THE TIME TO THINK THAT WHEN ONE MILLIONAIRE OR BILLIONAIRE AMASSES HIS FORTUNE IT WAS AT THE PAINS OF OTHERS WHO PURCHASED A GOOD OR SERVICE AT AN INFLATED PRICE AND HAD TO DO WITHOUT AS A CONSEQUENCE. IT'S ALWAYS, "WELL THAT GUY WAS SMARTER"-- SORRY, NO, THE TRUTH IS THAT THE SMARTER GUY IS SIMPLY A LEGAL THIEF.
I'm not religious, but it seems to me that screwing ones own for no other reason than to amass money and buy (whatever) things is morally and socially sick.

Feb. 28 2013 12:05 PM
PJay from NYC

Speaking of food, Fair Way in Brooklyn is opening tomorrow...I think the most exotic thing at their store is seafood. Oh well...

Feb. 28 2013 11:58 AM

yes fuhrer becky
forgive my looking at the bigger picture of life

Feb. 28 2013 11:51 AM
Bobby G from East Village

That was a very skilled interview on the part of Brian Lehrer.

Feb. 28 2013 11:45 AM
Eddie from New York

I am interested in this topic, but the guest speaker keeps blitzing me with pre-prepared mini-speeches, instead of having a conversation with Brian. It's pretty tough to listen to.

Feb. 28 2013 11:44 AM
Stella from downtown

When I was younger, I asked my father what a luxury was, and he said it was something you don't need. When everyone has what they need, we can talk about how to accumulate wealth.

Feb. 28 2013 11:44 AM
The Truth from Becky

As a person in the Financial Industry who is very much in tune with her finances...I will borrow the book from the Library instead of purchasing...*giggle*

Feb. 28 2013 11:43 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

MOOONNNEEEEYYYY!!!!!

Feb. 28 2013 11:42 AM

LMAO...Now he's rhyming.

Feb. 28 2013 11:42 AM
Robert from NYC

So he's saying just buy into the system. Yes, it's up to one's self to lift oneself but to join the club isn't the way to go as long as it stifles others. Lift yourself up and make it better for others to get there. Capitalism is not a dirty word but it's not a holy word either. It's not the only system not necessarily the best.
He sounds like sort of what is usually considered selling out which is buying in but into what.

Feb. 28 2013 11:41 AM

I choose not to be poor....wow, that was easy ;-)

Feb. 28 2013 11:40 AM
fuva from harlemworld

The author's failure to answer the question about structural inequity and how to addtress it exemplifies the problem with many of the people he spotlights and the current conception of black success. The self-centeredness -- a post-trauma symptom -- perpetuates relative black poverty.

Feb. 28 2013 11:40 AM
The Truth from Becky

Good motivational speaker for those who HAVE NOT heard this before or who ARE NOT currently living this way and the advice is applicable across racial lines!! Bears repeating every now and then however.

Feb. 28 2013 11:40 AM
David from Brooklyn

I think it's wrong to equate wealth with civil rights, and I'm not convinced of any relationship between capital and freedom

Feb. 28 2013 11:39 AM

Oh boy, feel like I'm listening to an infomercial. Carlton Sheets meets Tony Robins. The word "choice" is particularly bothersome to me.

Feb. 28 2013 11:39 AM

This guy sounds exactly like every other "motivational speaker" I've ever heard in my life. I can't believe there's a such a big market for rehashing these same trite platitudes in order to sell books.

Feb. 28 2013 11:38 AM
The Truth from Becky

HJS - Everyone know happiness comes from within please dont distract with rhetoric

Feb. 28 2013 11:38 AM
TP

did he just say, "Everything is for sale" is not a bad thing to believe??? A) Everything is NOT for sale; and B) it is a bad thing to look at the world with such a lack of moral integrity. I appreciate what this guy is doing, but he's quickly showing a lack of maturity.

Feb. 28 2013 11:38 AM
RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersey

No sh*t. 1 in 22 Americans have net worth of $1 million yet 1 in 1,000 African-Americans are millionaires. So an African-American is 50 times LESS likely to be a millionaire. No one is going to give us wealth, we have to create it and then retain it.

BL your 'below the poverty line' quip is not quite accurate. That line was much lower in the 60's and 70's when today's black millionaire was growing up. My household - hospital worker dad, public school teacher mom - earned about $15K thru the 60's. I know because I used to do our taxes.

Feb. 28 2013 11:36 AM

but does it buy happiness?

Feb. 28 2013 11:35 AM
fuva from harlemworld

The bigger challenge (and a better question) is how to be a successful black millionaire AND, simultaneously, successfully black.

Feb. 28 2013 11:33 AM
The Truth from Becky

Listening....this oughta be good...smh

Feb. 28 2013 11:31 AM
sp from nyc

Wasn't parsons the CEO who helped destroy Citi Group, then walked with millions, leaving the taxpayers (that would be us) to pick up the tab? Another unindicted banker who helped destroy the economy.

Feb. 28 2013 11:30 AM