New York Magazine's Adam Platt on Food Trends

Friday, March 01, 2013

Adam PlattNew York magazine’s food critic, talks about food trends that come and go, and current trends he wishes would pass more quickly.

Adam Platt

J from Manhattan from Upper East Side

Squid ink is often overused, but I have to say that the squid-ink risotto at Salumeria Rosi is excellent. I haven't been to the one on the west side -- perhaps the menus are different -- but I've never tasted a better squid-ink risotto than the one on Madison at 72nd.

Mar. 01 2013 01:45 PM
Andrea from Manhattan

What about nuts and molds - I was told to soak them?
Also, cholesterol for my super skinny 5 and 6 year old? Bacon? They love bacon!

Mar. 01 2013 01:40 PM
Noach (Independent, Anti-Corporate Traditionalist) from Brooklyn

Sorry, my previous comment was posted in error; it was intended for the previous segment on food insecurity.

Mar. 01 2013 01:30 PM
Alex from Kew Gardens

I don't know much about Brooklyn. I would have liked them to talk alittle about the wonderful resturants in Queens.

Mar. 01 2013 01:01 PM
mar from Brooklyn

How can one enjoy any delicious "food trend" or any meal, for that matter, with the decibel levels as they currently are in many restaurants?

Mar. 01 2013 01:00 PM
Vanessa from Brooklyn

When you were talking about the "rustic" restaurant, maybe the term you were looking for was "shabby-chic," which seems to be the new atmosphere of choice. Based on the looks of some of these places, you would think the food would be casual and cheap, but then they have menus reminiscent of high-end, fine dining restaurants.

Mar. 01 2013 12:58 PM
maria from Manhattan

Expensive kale! That's a mystery. At a new brasserie, Cafe Tallulah, a side of kale sauteed in garlic served in a cast iron pot four inches in diameter cost $11. What's the economics of this?

Mar. 01 2013 12:58 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Also, what is this hipster obsession on deconstructing otherwise simple food:

Fried Chicken, egg creams, hamburgers. I have no issues with restoring a dish that had lost its luster through the years but do we really need to deconstruct the hot dog with an artisan bun?

Mar. 01 2013 12:57 PM
Noach (Independent, Anti-Corporate Traditionalist) from Brooklyn

@Marian from Bernardsville, NJ,
"the recognition that charity alone would not eliminate hunger, and that political advocacy was necessary."

Indeed, charity can not and never will be a substitute for _justice_. Among the many people who have made this point is Cornell West, who, along with Tavis Smiley, have raised awareness with their "poverty tour". They have noted how "poverty" was almost a dirty word, barely mentioned, during the last presidential campaign.

The documentary film "Food, Inc." may provide a good introduction/overview to what the corporate food industry that we all subsidize has wrought.

Mar. 01 2013 12:57 PM
maria from Upper West Side

Finally, Filipino restaurants are getting a higher profile beyond the cheap, ethnic enclave. It's taken a long time, but I'm glad it's adding to the banquet that's in New York. Perhaps the pig trend has helped.

Mar. 01 2013 12:55 PM
Kate

I am a cook in New York and agree that some of these trends can be obnoxious. However, I do believe that much of the craft, artisanal, and other menu labeling are an attempt to support local agriculture. As was discussed on your previous segment, subsidies to large agriculture are huge and the fight to make healthy food available is a constant struggle. I think that this is simply a way of bringing chefs and producers together to increase public awareness and bring about change.

Mar. 01 2013 12:53 PM
Sally from Brooklyn

Restaurant trends I wish would go away:

Desserts with pepper
Expensive restaurants with uncomfortable seating
Tasting menus with no choice where you have to eat radishes and Brussels sprouts

Mar. 01 2013 12:53 PM
Rigdzin

After hearing your last program on food-insecurity, I'm over foodies!

Mar. 01 2013 12:53 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Does Mr. Platt think that the Brooklyn Foodie scene is overrated? I'm starting to believe that many Brooklyn places wouldn't last two minutes in the City.

Mar. 01 2013 12:50 PM
camille from Lefferts Gardens, Brooklyn

I feel like Brooklyn is getting too big for its britches. My mother is coming to town soon from her suburban California home and I feel like I'm either going to have to take her to a diner since she will surely balk at the kinds of places and prices that are popular around here now.

Mar. 01 2013 12:50 PM
Sydney from East Village

Squid ink: I've seen it smeared on my plate and I've ingested squid-ink soaked bread crumbs. Is it all flash, or does it actually lend any flavor? (Or just a way to boost the price.)

Mar. 01 2013 12:49 PM
Mar from Brooklyn

Mason jars; enough already.

Mar. 01 2013 12:47 PM
Udo Danziger from Brooklyn.

I'm surprised how successful these "post-food" blogs have become.

Who'd think pictures of stool would be so captivating

Mar. 01 2013 12:47 PM
Mike from Tribeca

Worst food fad: the higher and higher cost of food.

Mar. 01 2013 12:46 PM

Adam!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

Mar. 01 2013 12:45 PM

AHHHHHHHHH!!!

Bespoke cocktails!!!

STOP IT!!!

ridiculous.

Mar. 01 2013 12:45 PM
Chris from New York

We had our company holiday dinner at Del Posto in December. It was a four hour tasting menu experience, with something like 3 dessert courses.

The ambience and food were amazing but it started to feel like an ordeal. My body literally started to hurt and by the end of it, I actually felt irritated and resentful.

Maybe that was due to 4 hours of small talk and polite conversation with co-workers. But still.

My other complaint is the overpriced low quality cuts of beef. Short-ribs and hanger steaks have taken over menus of top quality restaurants.

Mar. 01 2013 12:44 PM

How many $12 pickles, $10 2.5oz(!!) chocolate bars, and surly hipster butchers can we stomach!!

PLEASE STOP!!!

Mar. 01 2013 12:43 PM
JT from NJ

I am over the precious food/celebrity chef moment. It smacks too much of grad school know-it-allness.

That said, and as Mr. Platt mentioned, one of my all-time best dining moments: omakase ("entrust")in the masterly Zen hands of Chef Yasuda, who -- sadly for NYC -- returned to Japan a few years ago.

Mar. 01 2013 12:43 PM
Robert from NYC

That's baloney that "Only Locxa Produce". I see the kitchen help often run into the supermarket next door and grab all the vegetables left in the market leaving nothing for the rest of us. I guess that's local as it is next door!

Mar. 01 2013 12:42 PM
Jf from Ny

People are eating toxic soap residue at resturaunts. Restauraunts need to use baking soda, its non toxic. Hot water is even better.

Mar. 01 2013 12:40 PM

Anything with the words, "craft" and "artisanal" need to be promptly retired.

exhausting.

Mar. 01 2013 12:38 PM
Abby from Greenwich Village

I'm a chef and call me old school but I can't stand the plating trend of what looks like a blob of sauce that someone has then pulled their finger through. It looks like a mistake. Since when is it not ok to pour the sauce over the food?!

Mar. 01 2013 12:37 PM
Tony from Tribeca

My favorite "food fad," if you can call it that, of the past few years has been the revival of home bread baking.

Mar. 01 2013 12:33 PM
George from Brooklyn

How does one distinguish between a food trend and a food fad?

How has social media affected the development of food trends?

Is local food here to stay?

Mar. 01 2013 02:45 AM