Post-Spitzer Healing

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Keith Wright, New York state assembly member (D-70th, Central Harlem) and Dean Skelos, New York state senator (R-9th, Southwest Nassau County) and deputy majority leader, talk about legislation after Spitzer and moving forward under Governor Paterson.

Dean Skelos and Keith Wright

Sandra from Park Slope, Brooklyn

First of all, there already is congestion pricing in the form of fees for parking, whether legally in parking lots or by getting tickets. If you look on the streets of midtown, there are very few private cars--there are many trucks of all types that are necessary to carry on this city's commerce, and taxis, which serve the same purpose as private cars but are more efficient.
Secondly, since the subway is so important to providing a labor force where it is needed, it should be free. Not so bizarre--garbage pickup is free, fire department services are free, police, parks, education etc. are free, so why not public transportation? For a low-salaried person, those few dollars each day are a huge bite out of income. Free transit might even lower the number of private cars coming into Manhattan.

Mar. 13 2008 09:13 PM
Edward from New York

Hi Brian - I am a regular listener (via podcasts) and like your show.
I don't always agree with you as I am a moderate Republican who leans more towards the right than the left. During your show preceding Eliot Spiders resignation, you alluded that the DOJ under the current Bush administration was selectively prosecuting Mr. Spitzer simply because he is a Democrat. Don’t you think?
this is a bit premature since no charges have been filed against Mr. Spitzer. If the DOJ
indicts only Client 9 and none of the others, then you most certainly have a valid point.
However no charges have been filed against any of the Clients” listed in the complaint.

Mar. 13 2008 05:32 PM
Johnny C from Wantagh, NY

Ok Brian, great show as usual, but after our 2 legislators left the air, I was bothered by what has become "the usual" from the halls of Albany...

as the TV Caveman says, "What...!!??"

First off, to me there's an interesting disconnect that connects both the NYC congestion pricing AND the NYS soak-the-rich tax:

they're both only gonna raise one-fifth of the cash needed to close the respective gaps, especially in Albany. So let's talk about why I should support either one, if I don't drive to the city every day, and I'm certainly not rich?

Secondly, at the risk of sounding Luntz-ian (you know, that clever pollster with the cleverer questions), would you please consider doing a show on what exactly is meant by "tax relief" anyway?

(Hey I think that WAS a Luntz invention, come to think of it now)

Seems to me it's tossed into any legislative conversation these days, and then the ever-important discussion about GOVERNMENT SPENDING rarely, if ever, occurs.

See, I think ever since King George's tea went into Boston harbor a couple hundred years ago, our country has had a love-hate thing going about taxes, but at least other generations leaders didn't sound-bite-bunt it away.

What do you think?

Mar. 13 2008 12:25 PM
chris o from New York City

To clarify: I see the argument that congestion pricing is unfair to the working class as invalid.

Mar. 13 2008 10:56 AM
chris o from New York City

Re: congestion pricing. I don't see the working class as the dominant faction driving in the city. Parking and gas alone is very expensive, compared with $3 or $4 on the subway. I see the working class (and higher classes as well) on the subways and more of a professional/upper-middle class in the vehicles. So I see this as an invalid argument.

Mar. 13 2008 10:53 AM
Paul Mondesire from Riverdale but work in Manhattan...

Congestion pricing is an expensive and unjust solution to a problem that we have never dealt with appropriately. Working class New Yorkers--really the life-blood of the city--from the boroughs.

It will cost us time and money, already in short supply. It is yet another burden for the people who make this a great city. This really stinks.

Mar. 13 2008 10:36 AM
chris o from New York City

I am hoping that because he has been in politics his whole life, he is savvy. Presumably he would not have risen so high (leader of Senate Dems) unless he had the ability to NOT get rolled. I think and hope he talks softly and carries a big stick, esp. against Bruno. Charm and disarm, then whack him and no one notices.

Mar. 13 2008 10:26 AM
Robert from NYC

Let hope he can put Bruno in his place, as I bite my tongue to believe he can.

Mar. 13 2008 10:24 AM
John Celardo from Fanwood, NJ

I can’t help but smile ironically when Republican lawmakers rant about cutting spending. I live in NJ, and we have much worse property tax and budget problems, but I do read the Times. It’s time for all politicians to start thinking about getting money from the folks who have it.

Mar. 13 2008 10:24 AM
barry from manhattan

What don't these guys understand about the "crack tax"?
It is simply an additional way to collect fines against convicted dealers. Other states have been doing it for years.
That guy is thick in the head, a 10-99 form? What is he talking about?
It is part of a legal proceeding>

Mar. 13 2008 10:20 AM
eCAHNomics

Here's the Q I want answered about Paterson. Since he's Mr. Nice Guy, why should I believe he won't get rolled by Bruno?

Mar. 13 2008 10:11 AM