Movie Date Presents: Oscar...Totally Naked

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"Oscar...Totally Naked" is an Oscar special hosted by Kristen Meinzer of The Takeaway and Rafer Guzman of Newsday.

Featuring interviews with unsung heroes of the Academy Awards, conversations with Oscar nominees, insights from those behind the scenes, and tips for those who hope to receive an Oscar of their own someday, this hour-long spectacular pulls back the velvet curtain on Hollywood's biggest night.

Hosted by:

Rafer Guzman and Kristen Meinzer

Editors:

Jay Cowit and Ann Heppermann

Tags:

More in:

a dude from the LBC from calif

Kristen and Rafer....really enjoyed your show....very insightful....dont listen to all those people who gave you a negative review....NPR gives you a alternative viewpoint ....you guys need to get outside your little square and and listen to other shows...go get a drink somewhere besides your homes....like in a bar...meet someone...jeeze...!!!...sometimes your so immature ....

Mar. 12 2013 08:50 PM
Jenn from Lower East Side

Fine, run this vacuous drivel on Oscar weekend -- but why pre-empt Science Friday? I'm a sustaining listener but if you're going to continue to promote Kristen Meizner's preening and wittering, you should pay me.

Feb. 25 2013 10:41 PM
Richard

The hosts of this "program" are incredibly lame. I guess they thought it was cool to keep asking (and keep asking) the Academy member about his vote. I thought it was stupid, vapid, unfunny. Just about the worst program I've ever been subjected to on WNYC. I'd rather listen to logs burning in an imaginary fireplace.

Feb. 24 2013 07:43 PM
Terry King from Manhattan

I kept thinking that my radio was tuned into some awful commercial radio station. How could this be WNYC? Inane, asinine, vapid -- this is one of the worst things I've ever heard on WNYC. Having an Oscar special at all is seriously questionable, the Oscars being essentially a huge Hollywood infomercial. But having one on this juvenile level? Shame! However, I must say that I was cheered by the spate of negative comments like mine. WNYC is saved by the quality of its listeners.

Feb. 24 2013 07:32 PM
Steve Giovinco from East Village, NY

Unfortunately, while I was looking forward to listening, I have to agree with a majority of the other comments listed about the show. The hosts faux banter is light to the point of nothingness, and veers towards the absurdly obvious.

Feb. 24 2013 07:31 PM
Dee from queens

I'm with the majority. It ended up a vapid and cloying gesture. Not up to the standards of WNYC at all.
I tried. I really tried. But I couldn't stop cringing so I finally turned it off.

Feb. 24 2013 07:08 PM
Matthew from Brooklyn, NY

Kristen and Rafer, keep up the good work. Don't let the grousing get you down; NPR listeners fear anything new. The hour long show was great!

Feb. 24 2013 03:38 PM
Angela from Brooklyn

Really? You're airing this show again tonight? I'm trying to get it out of my head and you keep reminding me with promos. It's like a bad SNL skit. Please. Stop.

Feb. 24 2013 10:24 AM
Eric from Brooklyn

Was hoping this show would transcend its title. It didn't.

Feb. 24 2013 07:59 AM
Cameron, again from Still downtown

Am rereading my comment and I want anyone (particularly, WNYC brass) who comes across it to know that my first thought was indeed:
"This show sucks" but my immediate second thought, and the more important one was:
"This show has potential."

If you really believe in this show, you needn't scrap it but you need to try again.
My suggestions: Do a different take on Hollywood.
Segment ideas:
- What it's like to discover you're an actress out of her prime
- What it's like to realize you're not leading man handsome
- What it's like to be told you're not "bankable"
- What it's like to run out of money for your film
- What it's like to have your own studio turn on you.
- What it's like to have your studio not submit your name for an award (remember Melissa Leo?)
- etc. etc.

These are just ideas.

Meinzer needs to dial it down 180% or be replaced. Guzman needs to wake up or be replaced. He's a smart guy but anyone who listens to WNYC/NPR knows that you can vibrant and intellectual at the same time (see: Leonard Lopate, see Sarah Fishko, see Terry Gross, and on and on and on).

This is not RomneyLand here: I want you both to keep your jobs but you can't insulate yourselves from your audience's critiques. This show, as I said, has potential.

Feb. 23 2013 11:56 PM
Marisa Bartolucci from New York City

Really, WNYC. You have to have your own version of Joan and Melissa? Replete with snarky jibes? What makes me love your radio/online enterprise so much is that it's smart, original, high-minded, probing, funny, hip, weird and sometimes wild, but it's never snarky or obvious. But this was. Yuck!

Feb. 23 2013 05:34 PM
Angela

What is this really awful, inane blather. Reminds me of "morning zoo" programs on commercial radio. Or The Takeaway.

Feb. 23 2013 03:51 PM
Andy from Manhattan

Wow. I thought WNYC was quick on its feet in the face of disaster. Sadly, you guys don't seem to notice the ones you have made yourselves. For the third time in three years, I have turned off your station. When every single response to a show pans it as the trash it is, please let it go. And please don't run such horrible programming more than once! This is no way to treat listeners who expect excellence across the board. You are sullying your brand ID with your swing towards "lighter" coverage in general. Back to your true mission, please!

Feb. 23 2013 03:36 PM
Diana from East Harlem

I left the radio on after listening to The Moth. I lasted 20 minutes before screaming, "Turn it off!" This show lacks depth. As a member of WNYC I am disappointed. What a poor program and terrible scheduling choice. Maybe stick this thing at 4 am. Better yet, ditch it.

Feb. 23 2013 03:25 PM
gabby from sunset park brooklyn

I wanted to like this hour long show, but these hosts came across as removed even pompous at time. The guy was a complete doormat. I heard better oscar gab on Q with the Ghoumeshy guy.
Also, let's not assume that a man/woman format is always best.
Follow talent, not labels.

Feb. 23 2013 12:42 AM
clive betters

kristen is certifiable.

Feb. 22 2013 10:26 PM
Cameron from Lower East Side

If I could contribute enough to forever unhear this segment, tell me how much to give.

This was without question the worst show I've heard on WNYC in years. I thought the Takeaway was unbearable, but this was waterboarding of the ear and mind.
What I didn't like:
- the faux-flirting between the hosts. Normally a bit of charm/tension between a pair makes it exciting for all but Meinzer sounded like the ugly trashed blonde at the bar hitting on whomever is still around at 3am. Guzman sounded like he wanted to be on a different show altogether. The chemistry between the two really did not translate on air.

What I did like:
- the interviews with non-celebrity Oscar winners, particularly the one with the NY woman who won for short film and was asked to move off the red carpet because she was a nobody.
- the too-brief interview with Benh Zeitlin.

How it could improve:
- If you could make this a 'behind the scenes of Hollywood' I would gladly listen to that. I would love to hear how the sausage gets made. What is it like to be an extra? How do you get financing for a film? What happens when a director gets replaced? What happens when you get kicked off your own film?
- Remove Meinzer, the poor man's Brooke Gladstone. I want to like her, I hear a feminist streak in her, but her voice and her manner are too painful.
- Give Guzman a drink. Basically inject Guzman with the surplus of charisma illness that is ailing his co-host.

There is potential, but please never this again...

Feb. 22 2013 05:01 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

I guess Meinzer can't stray too far from her (experiential) roots: "...VH1's The Fabulous Life, and The Discovery Channel's Anatomy of a Pandemic (in which she also got to play a dead person."

Explains a lot. Not sure it makes for good WNYC content. As grating as Zoe Chase's Milwaukee Valley accent.

Feb. 22 2013 03:18 PM
John A.

WTHITS?
You're trendy, you'll get it.

Feb. 22 2013 03:10 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

Dan from QUEENS - If this is all about what deserves an award (rather than what's "most likely to win," your brilliant litmus, which only perpetuates the lowest common denominator film), why need to provide alternatives?

It's a lowbrow show, of course--why use a filter that would only perpetuate that?

Feb. 22 2013 03:00 PM
Dennis from NYC

I listened to the teaser on the Brian Lerher show and hated it, but thought I should give this show a listen/chance. It is truly an insult to film lovers. When the host dismisses a film like The Master—a complicated film that isn't for everyone—as terrible just because she didn't like it but can't elaborate or discuss any of its merits, or dismisses directors because she "doesn't know what they do"—Wow! You would think in a city like New York, WNYC would be able to find a host who could discuss these films more intelligently. Rafer Guzman does his best.

Feb. 22 2013 02:59 PM
Dan from QUEENS

I really did not like this show!

I am not used to WNYC allowing this sort of stuff to slough off and float to the surface. I mean, I guess it's cool that Rafer stuck to his guns on liking "The Master" but he should have provided alternate choices that have a legitimate chance of winning.

And please, please, please tell me I misheard The Phantom Menace being regarded as a classic movie.

Feb. 22 2013 02:54 PM
Angela from Brooklyn

Good God this show is stupid. I'd give more detail about why I think it's stupid, but that would be giving it way more attention than it deserves.

Feb. 22 2013 02:53 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

I'll repeat now what I said during her earlier Lopate appearance: Meinzer is insufferable aficionado of lowest common denominator film. Moreover, her pummeling Guzman with her inane opinions is grating--this is more of a shoutfest of her opinion in the tradition of cheap talk radio, rather than an intellectual conversation. Please bring her back behind the scenes, if you must keep her at all.

Feb. 22 2013 02:52 PM
Sarah

Wow, I expect smarter programming from WNYC. Maybe an actual analysis of the movies that are up for awards - an informed and intelligent analysis. This isn't even funny, or informative. How could this be better? Have one of your regular hosts do an Oscar special. The history of the Oscars. An analysis of the best picture nominees. A look at the documentaries. Etc. etc...

Feb. 22 2013 02:49 PM
Terry from New york City

It is embarrassing to hear this women say that directors aren't important. Why don't you put a serious show about film on. Although he obviously understands film as a valid form, it is wasted on these silly fake spats with her.

Feb. 22 2013 02:47 PM
Ben

This is the biggest waste of airwaves ever

Feb. 22 2013 02:45 PM
Mark from New York City

Kristen Meinzer is a celebrity watcher, not a movie watcher. She has nothing to back up her comments; "opinions" are usually considered, she just blurts. If she was also funny, this segment wouldn't flop so badly.
I can't believe you replaced Science Friday with this pathetic dreck. Even the sound clips used are terrible.

Feb. 22 2013 02:33 PM
Tom from upper west side

Who do you take us for, "Entertainment Tonight" viewers? "People" Magazine readers? This is the worst show I have ever heard on WNYC...How can I get my membership money refunded?

Feb. 22 2013 02:25 PM
Joan from Brooklyn

You want subscribers? Not, if you are going to do more of this Oscar drivel. What you are - Entertainment Tonight light?

Feb. 22 2013 02:21 PM
andy from manhattan

I hope WNYC doesn't put too much into this horrible show. If I want E!, I'll turn on cable tv. *Hated it!*

Feb. 22 2013 02:21 PM
Elise from Manhattan

This show is annoying and awful-not the smartest idea to run it during pledge week

Feb. 22 2013 02:19 PM
Fred from Brooklyn

Give me a break everyone...."Django Unchained" is a damsel-in-distress film cloaked in Tarantino's mix of comedy and violence....and when was the last time there was a damsel-in-distress story featuring Black characters as the damsel and her rescuer? Um never....

Feb. 22 2013 11:42 AM