Shouldn't This Be A Holiday?

Friday, February 29, 2008

It's leap day, and we want to hear your stories about February 29th. Were you born on this day? Married? Got any other leap-day tales to share?

Comment below.

Justin from Radio Lab

I'm SO flattered I was mentioned on the show. Thanks Brian!! It's true that my wife and I got married on Leap Day. But I'd like to formally disabuse everyone of the notion that I'm free from obligation for three years. No siree.. I'll just have to make the Leap Day anniversaries that much more extravagant ;)

Mar. 14 2008 06:58 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Thanks for clearing up my confusion, susan! Makes me glad I asked.

Feb. 29 2008 12:33 PM
Jan Castro from New York City

Howard Nemerov was a friend born on Leap Year Day in New York in 1920. He was twice Poet Laureate of the United States. Here's a poem he wrote for me. Please come to my poetry reading at the Bowery Poetry Club, 2 p.m., Saturday, March 8th!!

The Collected Poems of Howard Nemerov, 1977

Because You Asked About the Line Between Prose and Poetry

Sparrows were feeding in a freezing drizzle

That while you watched turned into pieces of snow

Riding a gradient invisible

From silver aslant to random, white, and slow.There came a moment that you couldn't tell.

And then they clearly flew instead of fell.

Feb. 29 2008 12:07 PM
susan from NYC

there's a bit confusion here - sadie hawkins day is in november and has its origins in the (american) lil abner comic; leap day as a day for women to propose marriage to men has its origins in europe.

Feb. 29 2008 12:02 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I thought Sadie Hawkins Day was about women asking men out, not proposing to them...actually, in Li'l Abner, they chased them down in the Sadie Hawkins Day race!

Feb. 29 2008 11:57 AM
matthew.sullivan@aexp.com from Rutherford NJ

correction divisable by 400!! SORRY!

Feb. 29 2008 11:56 AM
Lennie from Manhattan

Leap year is skipped when the century year is not evenly divisible by 400. All century years are divisible by 4.

Feb. 29 2008 11:55 AM
Richard Bohn from Spokane,Washington

My first great grandson was , Asher, was born 10 minutes ago in Spokane, Washington.

wow .. now we have a Leapling in the family.

Feb. 29 2008 11:55 AM
Lennie from Manhattan

Little known fact. George Washington was actually born on Feb. 11th but that was before England switched to the Gregorian calendar. In the 1750's, 11 days were added to calendar to catch up, and he used a date that would make his birthday, the end of a year of his life. There were riots when the switch occured as people thought there lives were being shortened and legitimate issues about how much rent was due.

Feb. 29 2008 11:53 AM
Dennis from Somerset, NJ

For more info on Sadie Hawkins Day see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadie_Hawkins.

Dennis

Feb. 29 2008 11:53 AM
matthew.sullivan@aexp.com from Rutherford NJ

Little known fact:

Leap day is skipped on century years that are not divisable by 4. Thus, 2000 was a leap year. 2100 will not be, nor 2200, 2300. 2400 will be.

Feb. 29 2008 11:52 AM
Betty from Port Reading, NJ

I was born on this day many years ago. LOL When I was seventeen, I received some flack from the DMV people when I tried to obtain my driver's license. Since there was no 29th that year, they said I shouldn't be there on the 28th, but should wait until the 1st of March. That would mean I would have had to wait until the following Monday, since they were not open on the weekends. As a 17 year old I couldn't wait to drive and the thought of waiting until Monday was just so horrible. Well they all got a good laugh and then told me they were just kidding. Though out my life I have met other people that say they knew someone that was born on this day, but I have never met any of the supposed 177,000 people that share my day.
Thanks for taking the time to let me share my story.

Feb. 29 2008 11:12 AM
Joe from Englewood, NJ

Is it true that persons born on leap day have an average life expectancy of 300 years?

Feb. 29 2008 11:09 AM
Serge Lescouarnec from Montclair, New Jersey

The 'National Trust UK' has given the day 'Leap Year Day' off to all its employees and suggested they use it as a Green Day as I found out while writing a story about Leap Year Day on my blog Serge the Concierge (http://www.sergetheconcierge.com)

Bonne Journee

Speaking at South by Southwest Interactive on March 8 about being 'Just Over 50 and Not Dead Yet ' (http://www.pushing50.net)

Serge
'The French Guy from New Jersey'

Feb. 29 2008 11:09 AM