Assessing Geithner's Term

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

President Obama's former "car czar" Steven Rattner, author of Overhaul: An Insider’s Account of the Obama Administration’s Emergency Rescue of the Auto Industry, discusses Timothy Geithner's legacy in the Obama administration and current economic news.

Steven Rattner

Keira

Mr. Rattner's "balanced approach to life" apparently is to boldly recognize a serious problem exists and then offer feeble proposals to address it. Maybe if we just ask nicely and timidly enough the top 1% will see their way towards making some sort of contribution to the 99%.

Feb. 20 2013 10:41 PM

delsol ~

Hear, HEAR!!

Feb. 20 2013 11:53 AM

Why is that "we must" make the our societies comfortable, accommodating, and conducive for business, but business doesn't seem to owe society anything in return?

I do not understand how the top of the business pyramid thinks it is sustainable, ethical, or otherwise to capture 85% if not more of all profits that business produces, while simultaneously paying workers, vendors, and the rest of the business ecosystem as little as possible. Why is it I should ask my "public" worker to live on less? Shouldn't I be asking business to pay my "private" worker more?

I am not interested in competing for the lowest paid, most exploitative, environmentally unsound jobs/businesses.
Please, go! I'll hold the door.

I want to go forward. We have to redefine what a modern strong sustainable economy can be in the future. And if that means struggle and hardship now- SO BE IT. I would rather struggle; pay more, give more, volunteer more, learn how to make things that last, and how to do without.

It behooves us to use the power of the purchasing dollar. Invest in the society you want to see, we are not indentured to the models of the past.

Feb. 20 2013 11:47 AM

Geithner's buddy, Lee Bollinger takes a salary of $2M out of Columbia University and sits on the board of the NY Fed implementing monetary policy, supervising and regulating financial institutions - including $1 TRILLION (!!!!) in student loans!!

We live in a SICK world.

Feb. 20 2013 11:32 AM
mike from long island

i turn on the radio, and i hear rattner talking about the difference between private and public sector job compensation. now that the powers that be have decimated the private sector, they now say its time to remedy the " unfairness" . next step they want to decimate the public sector too. people , wake up! you will never increase your standard of living by pushing for cuts for working people who still make a living wage. its a downward spiral, once those cuts are made, your wages and benefits see further downward pressure. support livable wages for all, not working class warfare.

Feb. 20 2013 11:23 AM

HE WAS ON THE PHONE WITH BLANKFEIN THE ENTIRE TIME!!

Feb. 20 2013 11:22 AM

77%?!?!?!

WTF!!

Feb. 20 2013 11:19 AM
John A

Chippindale,
Expect the show audio to be downloadable in about 70 minutes or so.
And thank-You WNYC for That!

Feb. 20 2013 11:18 AM
USCDADNYC from Queens NY

How can Commentators be so opinionated b/f the Segment Airs? I am glad your are Not a Judge that I would have to appear b/f. Either as a Lawyer or as a Party. AAR (unrelated to previous 3 sentences) To: Antonio (from Bayside). I am w/ you. Checkout Facebook -Hello Expo. This is about the LA Expo LRT Line. I would love to move to LA, but then I'll have to take the 3-Day Calif Bar Exam. (Most States are only 2 Days).

Feb. 20 2013 11:17 AM

"Right to Work" & states bribing companies with tax breaks are economic negatives.

Brian please stop having this Bankster as a commentator. He has no independent credibility & he is no longer a "reporter" & his recent past jobs raise questions about whether he ever was a reporter.

Feb. 20 2013 11:17 AM
superf88

Rather than "Jobs," what would the percentage of Americans with "Living Wage Jobs" be? (IE, workers with no gov. assistance for food and health care and no poverty)

Should we use that figure instead and if not why not? Have you heard Geithner address the subject, which removes many employers' arguing points?

Feb. 20 2013 11:12 AM
John A

How much did Geithners hairpiece cost anyway?

Feb. 20 2013 10:55 AM
antonio from baySide

Car Czar? This is the 21st century, we need a light-rail/streetcar Czar!

Feb. 20 2013 10:52 AM

Ko-Konspirator™

Feb. 20 2013 10:43 AM

Kriminal®

Feb. 20 2013 10:41 AM

Brian:
If you want an objective assessment of Geithner's legacy this isn't the guy to interview. Did you read the homage he wrote in the NYT shortly after Geithner resigned? Please, this is a waste of your listner's time.
You're a better radio host than this.

Feb. 20 2013 10:12 AM
USCDADNYC from Queens, NY

If the Depiction of Mr. Geithner (in the HBO movie "Too Big to Fail") is Accurate then I am a Fan of his. Can anybody help me separate "Hollywood" from Reality?

Feb. 20 2013 09:49 AM
Craig Chippindale from France

So I go to the page with the last Brian Lehrer show and I click on the "listen" button for the Geithner interview and it brings up the page I'm using right now to write this comment but nowhere does it allow me to play the interview so I can hear it. What am I missing? When I click on listen it should start playing right?
Thanks,