Winning and Losing

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What's at the core of winning and losing– and how you could tip your odds of success. Co-authors Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman discuss their new book Top Dog: The Science of Winning and Losing.

Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman

pooloniousmonk

The benefits of reaching an "optimal level of anxiety" were known 40 years ago. This is another restatement of common sense.

Feb. 19 2013 08:34 PM
sara from Italy

are we sure that competition - even positive competition - can be the best tool to discover our wonderful qualities?

Feb. 19 2013 11:41 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Competition does not always have to be against others. One can compete against oneself to improve.

Also, the worriers who study will do better, so eventually they should develop the confidence that will help them evolve from worriers to warriors.

Feb. 19 2013 11:40 AM
Amy from Manhattan

What role might epigenetics play in this? And what about whether parents & others in a child's early life are supportive or the opposite?

Feb. 19 2013 11:28 AM

What about people who are like "warriors" but panic when the time comes and cannot follow through? Is that more related to possible childhood trauma?

Feb. 19 2013 11:24 AM
Karen from NYC

I have had panic attacks -- and I mean really, really bad panic attacks -- since age 9. Yet I have never been nervous-- not a whit -- on a standardized test. A test seems like a challenge that I can tame; panic comes out of nowhere when I feel out of control, whether the lack of control is real or merely perceived.

I am really good at the skills required to do well on tests (not necessarily meaning that I'm smart; I just have good test skills). Might there be other factors, such as skills, determining whether a panic-prone person has a panic attack on a test?

Feb. 19 2013 11:22 AM
el from Upper East Side

Why does Mr. Bronson talk like he's addressing an audience of three year olds gathered around in a circle for story time? I can barely listen to him talk.

Feb. 19 2013 11:20 AM

If some stress is beneficial, is "stage fright" -- which can be extremely debilitating -- out of control stress? And what about beta blockers for controlling extreme stress or anxiety?

Feb. 19 2013 11:18 AM
Mia from Manhattan

Did the authors take into consideration the differences between Extroverts and Introverts when doing their research?

Feb. 19 2013 11:16 AM
John A

This book fails, if it doesn't bring up humility and bring down Narcissism, Hubris and the 'Winner take All' mentality.

Feb. 19 2013 11:02 AM