Manhattan Borough Cookbook

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer is the editor of The Go Green East Harlem Cookbook (Jones Books; Bilingual edition, 2008). He’s joined by the owner of East Harlem’s Creole Restaurant and Music Supper Club, Kevin Walters, who contributes a recipe to the book.

Book Signing Events
Wednesday, February 27 at 6PM at El Museo del Barrio, 1230 Fifth Ave. at 104th St.
Thursday, February 28 at 7PM at Community Bookstore, 143 Seventh Ave. near Garfield Pl., Brooklyn
Saturday, March 15 at 2:30PM at Barnes & Noble, 176-60 Union Turnpike near Utopia Parkway, Queens

Scott M. Stringer and Kevin Walters
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

John from Hamilton Hieghts

I agree with your caller Brian, I live on the 150s and there are no good fruits around here and the ones that are here are way too expensive than they are at Fairway.
I disagree with Mather that a pack of chips is cheaper than (which is $.99) and a single banana is 1.50 at any of the bodegus around here.

Feb. 26 2008 11:04 AM
jane silver timm from hudson valley, NY

What abut Fairway at 125th Street.
Many people like me, going into NYC, stop at Fairway for good nourishing foods at modest prices.
The store is always full of shoppers.

Feb. 26 2008 11:02 AM
katherine

Why aren't there more affordable grocery stores in the areas your're discussing. Not whole foods

Feb. 26 2008 10:57 AM
a woman from manhattan

Let the green carts only be run by people from our OWN neighborhoods, and I'll support them! I don't want interlopers coming in and profiting off us!

Feb. 26 2008 10:56 AM
ab

Hey...is there some way we can twist this into an Obama bashing segment? No? You sure? I'm sure there's a way....

Feb. 26 2008 10:55 AM
Zach from Upper West Side

It's been a while since I had schoo lunch (1990 was probably the last time), but its not much better than MacDonalds, which is why I always wanted it more than my PB and J sandwiches

Feb. 26 2008 10:54 AM
Paulo from Paterson, New Jersey

I think "environmental racism" is extreme, but I think low income areas do have less access to good healthy foods because healthy today tends to be more expensive. That, however, is largely the result of agricultural policy made thousands of miles away from the city.

Feb. 26 2008 10:53 AM
Zach from Upper West Side

That guy needs to go to Fairway!

Feb. 26 2008 10:53 AM
hjs from 11211

how healthy is the school lunch programs in NYC

Feb. 26 2008 10:44 AM