Mayoral Candidates: Bill Thompson

Friday, February 15, 2013

Bill Thompson, former NYC Comptroller and 2009 Democratic candidate for Mayor, talks about this year's candidacy and his plan for New York City.

Bill Thompson

Philimo from Brooklyn

We need a mayor who needs a paycheck. Bill is a true NY'er from Bed Stuy Bklyn and now in Harlem who came up the ranks and hasn't forgotten where he came from. He's what the average Joe and Joann needs.

Feb. 25 2013 10:41 PM
TP

" Bloomberg said 'development' more than any other word in State of the City" - Gothamist

That's just sad.

Feb. 15 2013 11:02 AM
antonio from baySide

I grew up in Hell's Kitchen, John I know the city very well. And BELIEVE me some of the change is great. Actually a lot of it is great; I don't miss the times getting jumped for my walkman when I was a kid or the other stuff you mentioned. But how do you feel about the police policies, the corporate welfare? The clear warfare the mayor is waging towards working people, teachers etc. For example we can give millions in subsidies to the aforementioned corporate class, But we can't tie a working wage to folks in exchange for development? (In one of the proposals of the Bronx armory, the Mayor was a staunch opponent to a living wage). John, you're a ny'er you know you can't live on $8.00 or whatever in nyc...right?

Feb. 15 2013 10:55 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

ABQ - Anything But Quinn!

Feb. 15 2013 10:43 AM
TP

Bloomberg has made NYC a place where only rich people can afford to live, but he's done nothing to make those very rich people pay their fair share of taxes.

Feb. 15 2013 10:43 AM
Pam Potischman from Brooklyn

Thank you for spending so much time on the bus strike with Bill Thompson. My family and too many others have been affected. Only 30 out of 80 children who are bused have been making it into my son's school, and my husband and I have been spending about 5 hours a day transporting him, right in the middle of the work day.

Please continue to keep this issue alive in the media.

Feb. 15 2013 10:42 AM
RJ from prospect hts

The idea that Bloomberg hasn't done anything in his own special interest is bizarre. While raising taxes (i.e., fees on parking, raising city university tuition, *not* building low-income housing, preventing living wages that his wealthy cohorts would pay, preventing a stock-transfer tax that his cohorts would have to pay, preventing a .025 income tax on the wealthy to help the city, giving control of the city to private nonprofits controlled by his friends--i.e., parks and recreation). The attempt to create widget-makers by dumbing down those absurd tests ... the list is so lengthy it's painful. The city is in such pain, it's like the Wizard of Oz behind the fake stage set.

Feb. 15 2013 10:39 AM
John from office

I grew up in Bayside, antonio, that has really changed too. The city has changed, but when you hear these people speak you hear "PANDERING" for votes.

The School bus strike is an example. The system does not work, thats what they are trying to change.

Feb. 15 2013 10:37 AM
oscar from ny

This Bloomberg vampire would drink the blood of all new yorkers and more than half if his ppl would love him or just ignore..

Feb. 15 2013 10:37 AM
RL

Bloomberg was/is all about big real estate, big development, and cared nothing whether the people who live here wanted these big $ interests. We want a man like Bill who will limit city government - liberal smaller govt - and stop all of this over building. Density is killing this City!

Feb. 15 2013 10:32 AM
antonio from baySide

@ John...
Fear not John, the makeup of the city is really different than back then. A lot of the folks you're mentioning are not here anymore...Have you been to Brooklyn lately?

Feb. 15 2013 10:32 AM
antonio from baySide

Considering the reason Bill Thompson lost was the fact he couldn't get a lot of the Brooklyn gentrifiers/park slope moms etc (look at the 2009 map in the ny times of park slope, bocococa etc.. it was as red as staten island) How does he get them on board?

Feb. 15 2013 10:30 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

What I don't understand is if marijuana possession is ONLY a violation (they compare it to a traffic ticket), then why are people getting put in cuffs at all. Shouldn't this just be a written ticket and you're on your way? This policy still doesn't make sense. It's only a half step to say the police will only keep you for a few hours, not overnight.

I highly doubt that's how it will work in real life anyway.

Feb. 15 2013 10:28 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

We're going back to the 80s (and worse) not because of police policies, but because the whole system is breaking down.

Feb. 15 2013 10:24 AM
john from office

I will work for Lhota or Ray Kelly, these clowns running will bring back the old New York, CRIME, RIOTS, GRAFFTI, DEMORALIZED POLICE, AL SHARPTON, WILDING and WHITE SNEAKER DEATHS "as in don't step on my sneakers", remember the 80s folks. We need a firm hand in this city, not more liberal policies.

Feb. 15 2013 10:08 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

I voted for Thompson only to stop Bloomberg.

Feb. 15 2013 10:02 AM
Voter from NYC

Not only did I vote for BT in 2009, I also campaigned as a volunteer for him. I think only 5% points separated him from triple mayor Mike.

Feb. 15 2013 09:32 AM