The American Dream in Detroit

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Downtown Detroit (Ian Freimuth/flickr)

Charlie LeDuff, son of Detroit, former New York Times reporter, T.V. reporter for Detroit's Fox2 News and author of Detroit: An American Autopsy, talks about what the story of Detroit can tell us about the past and future of American manufacturing, and what lessons can be learned.

Charlie LeDuff

amalgam from NYC by day, NJ by night

I like Charlie LeDuff's writing style and perspective when it comes to revealing the on-the-ground reality of the typical working stiff. He's big on explaining race and class and America, two sore subjects that Americans' often want to overlook.

I think it's great (and funny) that he's a local Detroit TV reporter. Sounds like him!

Feb. 14 2013 04:27 PM
Kareem

John from office - he's bi-racial - not black. When will Americans get away from that "one drop" ideology - which was actually based on racist ideas (think 'contamination')...? As much as I never liked Tiger Woods he said it best... that to call himself 'black' would be to disavow his equal parts of Asian heritage.

Feb. 14 2013 11:52 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

I love "parking wars" in Detroit - hilarious!!!

Feb. 14 2013 11:44 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

@John Sexin' and texin' was bad for his health. Forgot, the cops were busy covering up his affairs.

Feb. 14 2013 11:42 AM
tom from lic

Im from Buffalo What about tearing down those old houses? I see them as super valuable, unique architecture that our old cities should REVITALIZE, not tear down. Buffalo--very similar to Detroit except worse: we even sold off our historical great artwork from our museum!

Feb. 14 2013 11:37 AM
john from office

Sheldon, he is in Jail. living the Thug Life!

Feb. 14 2013 11:36 AM
antonio from baySide

Being that Detroit is ripe for rebuilding, any thoughts to NOT make it sprawlish...Of course the areas approaching the suburbs...
Any thoughts on transit? Streetcars, light rails?

Feb. 14 2013 11:36 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

What is that "hip-hop" mayor up to?

Feb. 14 2013 11:34 AM

Leduff seems to have a loyalty to Detroit that is beyond comprehension. Brian could you ask what drives his faith in a "rebirth" of that city?

Feb. 14 2013 11:33 AM
john from office

Rich P. You are on the money. Obama is a president who happens to be black, not a black president. When African Americans understand that difference, there will be progress.

Feb. 14 2013 10:58 AM

I agree with your basic premise John. I think that Sharpton and Jackson are anachronisms. I would say, however, that I don't see Obama and Booker as black leaders.I just see them as leaders.

Feb. 14 2013 10:38 AM
john from office

Go to Youtube and see the many videos Mr. LeDuff has posted. They are great; funny and sad at the same time.

Black America needs more Obamas and Bookers and less Sharptons and Jacksons.

Feb. 14 2013 07:33 AM