Oscar Nominated Documentaries: "How to Survive a Plague"

Thursday, February 14, 2013

The annual series on the best documentary Oscar nominees continues with David France, director of "How To Survive A Plague".

David France

BL Fan

john from office:

Do you think Occupy Sandy is an ineffective undertaking staffed by idiots?

Feb. 14 2013 05:23 PM
AG

Mr. Sheldon - exactly what did I say was "ill informed"???? What theory was about what a plague is??? A plague is a specific contagious disease. You could call it an epidemic - but even most epidemics are contagious. Are you able to get HIV/AIDS for casual physical contact? Can you breath it in? If I'm ill informed and don't know what I'm talking about - please forward me the information.

Like I said - it's a "tragedy". There is a big difference! You not wanting to recognize it doesn't mean it is not correct. Stop with the hissy fit and talk intelligently and sensibly. I once helped care for someone who was dying of the disease - so don't try to lecture me. That individual (including another one I know currently living with it) will tell you bluntly their own behavior caused it. Not a random plague.

Feb. 14 2013 11:47 AM
Steve

Just searched, apparently it is not playing ANYWHERE in NYC - does anyone know where it is showing? Thx.

Feb. 14 2013 11:34 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

AG - you don't just come over as insensitive, you just come over as ill-informed and judgmental.

Your whole "typical plague" theory - is absolute nonsense and you have no idea what you are talking about. Hope I don't come off as insensitive.

Feb. 14 2013 11:32 AM
chip

People forget that ACT UP put all of its lobbying efforts into finding a cure for the disease and not a vaccine for it, in spite of the fact that at the time and still, no viral diseases are curable but nearly all are prevented by vaccine. The NIH suqsequently put nearly all of its efforts into drug treatment rather than vaccine development, thus delaying vaccine development by several decades. This did result in effective treatment for the disease, for a relativley few AIDS victims in affluent countries while denying a vaccine, and affordable treatment to the countless millions affected with the disease in poor counrties. It also consigned countless thousands, if not millions to becoming infected with HIV when this might have been prevented. While I have no doubt that most folks who had been infected would have acted the same way, their selfishenss in treating themselves rather than protecting those uninfected should certainly not be honored.

Feb. 14 2013 11:29 AM
john from office

To compare the Occupy "movement" to act up is an insult to Act up. They were effective, Occupy wall street was a bunch of idiots sleeping in a park for no reason or no reason they could put in to words.

Feb. 14 2013 11:27 AM

I heard that some sort of practitioner in Harlem cured Magic Johnson with an herb or weed called epizote [aka: Epazote, wormseed, Jesuit's tea, Mexican tea, Paico or Herba Sancti Mariæ (Dysphania ambrosioides, formerly Chenopodium ambrosioides)] is an herb native to Central America, South America, and southern Mexico. Wikipedia]. Don't use the toxic seeds [Baltimore Oil].
The FDA forced the practitioner to leave the country.

Feb. 14 2013 11:27 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Does the film include the efforts that led to changing the criteria for diagnosing AIDS in women? What were the internal politics in the movement around that like?

Feb. 14 2013 11:19 AM
alan from sunset park, brooklyn

My question concerns the process in making the film. Could David France describe the process of writing the story, choosing the footage, and editing. Sometimes when films are made, we only discuss the story of the documentary, but never discuss the film itself (style, construction, etc).

Feb. 14 2013 11:17 AM
Fred from Bloomfield NJ

Where can I see the movie?

Feb. 14 2013 11:16 AM
Robert from NYC

I was an ACT UP member later on in the movement just before the rift. Yeah, too close to pharmas and still. Everyone is resigned to the "Living with..." crap we've been sold on, in this case, AIDS and now most diseases that no pharm company will set out to find cures for because they make billions on meds to keep you alive, "Living with [fill in the blank]!!! And we're (you're) all comfortable with that. NO, I want cures.

Feb. 14 2013 11:15 AM
AG

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying as being insensitive. I'm sorry - but AIDS was is not a typical "plague". In my mindset - a "plague" is something that can inflict anyone at any time. Barring blood transfusions (which at least in the U.S. are tested) - HIV from what I know is transmitted by behavior. If we humans take risks - there are consequences. Something like cancer can come upon someone who lives perfectly healthy.... but HIV/AIDS is not the same as that either.

HIV/AIDS is certainly still a tragedy (I have a good friend who has had it for years and see the toll it takes) - but I wouldn't call it a plague.

Feb. 14 2013 11:13 AM