How to Think About Guns

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

No one wants mass shootings. Unfortunately, no one has a workable plan to stop them either.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Jon

LEM, you do realize you can buy the INGREDIENTS for bombs in every store right? Oklahoma City was diesel fuel and fertilizer. Think of any places you can buy those two ingredients? What about pipe bombs? (hint, Home Depot and Lowes haven't stopped selling pipers, end caps, and nails) You can buy model rocket motors, electronic ignitors, gun powder, and pressure cookers at Wal-Mart.

That doesn't even touch any of the more complicated devices. They may not sell *assembled* bombs in stores, but they do sell everything you need to make a large variety of them.

Aug. 22 2013 11:13 AM
LEM

Patrick Schooler, that's the reason why you cannot buy bombs anywhere, as you can do with weapons in the US (and only in the US).

Feb. 27 2013 02:44 PM
Patrick Schooler from Denver, CO

As a radical right winger with several guns, I can tell you that I would gladly support the outlawing of certain weapons if I thought it would make a difference. Sadly, the root cause is the human that pulls the trigger. I believe that some people just want to kill others and they will do it one way or another. In fact, if I wanted to kill a lot of people, I would use bombs rather than guns and there are literally millions of ways to make bombs. I think as the podcast points out that if you think about it, we are really subjected to these types of events a very small percentage of the time. Considering a population of 300 million, to only have 12 or so mass shootings is, albeit horrific and sad for the people involved, actually a very small number. That does not mean we should not try something but I think a better mental health system is far better than outlawing something that is really already out of the bottle.

Feb. 18 2013 07:10 PM
Rose Petraglia from Staten Island, NY

I support Joe Biden's Assault Weapon Ban including high capacity magazines. All schools should have metal detectors, surveillance, and guards. Mental Health should start by offering Pre-K to all 3 to 4 yr old kids receiving play-therapy, turn-taking skills, developing patience and self control and listening skills for kindergarten readiness. Also, like NYC's 311, we should have a nationwide 711 phone line 24hrs a day/7 days a week to allow anyone in need of advice, problem solving solutions to dealing with everyday stress whether it be family, work, school, relationships. Everyone has peaks & valleys in their life, but not everyone is able to turn to someone for it. Obviously, the situation in Newtown stemmed from someone who felt no one was listening or paying attention to him. The right support and leadership teaching right from wrong with role models may have through the years prevented to massive killer. Veterans should not have to stand on lines, drive great distances and exploit themselves as they are today to seek help. This kind of healthcare could help prevent gun violence, domestic abuse, drug abuse, etc.

Feb. 17 2013 07:25 PM
MeganH from NYC

I found myself reacting to two statements by the guest: "knives are not as good at tool for killing people" and "such a trivial share of the people killed by guns are pure innocents". I know this show emphasizes statistics and economic reasoning rather than reaction and emotion, but I just find this language to be unnecessarily cold.

Feb. 14 2013 10:27 PM
Lance H from Corona, CA

Eleanor, logic would dictate that "reasonable" is used to corral folks by implying if one disagrees, they are not being reasonable. This is an appeal to emotion and is not rational because there is strong evidence that any new laws would have very little intended impact but would most likely have the opposite impact of creating large pools of unarmed victims. As a hunter, I hunt where the game is and ensures the least amount of risk with the highest chance for success. That is why maniacs choose gun free areas as is the case with both Sandy Hook and the Aurora theatre.

Feb. 14 2013 06:54 PM
Tom from SF Bay Area, CA

I applaud any discussion that looks at the actual facts surounding crime, gun deaths/crime and the effective nature of any such legislation. Becuase much of what is out there ir pure rampant emotionalism.

Feb. 14 2013 02:01 PM
Elenor from Cumming GA

Interesting risk communication discussion (calm, reasoned, not-so-much about action/solutions as about how to effectively and maybe productively discuss the topic) here: www.psandman.com/gst2013.htm#guns Because I'm in one camp, but acknowledge the polarized positions of both camps, I struggle with how to manage my own outrage while still respectfully addressing and answering the other side's outrage. Sandman wisely equates the gun-control/gun-rights (i.e., gun-grabbers/gun-nuts) sides' inability to find an acceptable solution (or even a way to have a discussion about "reasonable" restrictions) to the anti-choice/pro-choice (i.e., pro-life/anti-abortion) inability to have those discussions.

Feb. 14 2013 11:53 AM