The Race Rages On

Friday, February 08, 2008

Super Tuesday may be over, but the primary season is in full swing--and the Democratic race could not be closer. Marie Cocco, syndicated columnist for the Washington Post Writers Group, previews the upcoming primaries.

Marie Cocco

slowereastside from manhattan

"slowereastside (5) that's just silly!"

Agree. It's also an analysis that's far below the quality I've come to expect from My Public Radio Station.

Feb. 08 2008 11:51 AM
Darrell from Queens, NY

I'm a 28 year old African-American with a graduate degree that makes over $50,000 a year. It troubles me that she is implicating I was some how socially predisposed to liking Obama.

I would've voted for Joe Biden but he dropped out.

As an independent I think its extremely important to get passed these partisan politics and hearing Clinton demonize republicans urks me. That has nothing to do with any of the characterics I have..

Feb. 08 2008 11:40 AM
Darrell from Queens, NY

I would've voted for Joe Biden but he dropped out.

Feb. 08 2008 11:40 AM
T. Foley from CT

1st of all, Clinton and Obama split Connecticut almost clear 50-50%. Obama got only 3 percentage points more--delagates split even.
Secondly, Obama is spouting old 1990's New Age spiritual self-help books entirely in his speeches. He is parroting regurgitated Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, and Marianne Williamson--who is one of Oprah Winfrey's stage puppets. All this "inject politics with spirituality"; "you can CHANGE your life; CHANGE politics in America" is OLD NEWS. The people who are flocking to Obama are the same people who made those books NYTimes bestsellers. It is OLD rehetoric for a new audience. And in the end, Obama will do for all those people exactly what all those worn "self-help" books did for people--Nothing.

Feb. 08 2008 11:39 AM
ab

Yeah honestly, at this point...I don't care. I'm going to vote for whichever one of them wins because frankly Huckabee scares me and McCain is just dead wrong on a lot of things and I am sick of living under republican policies.

Feb. 08 2008 11:35 AM
Ian from Prospect Heights

OK, so Marie Cocco is a member of the Hillary booster club, no surprise since she comes from the Washington Post.

If Marie Cocco were honest, she might ask what role old-fashioned racism is playing in the "pro"-Hillary camp. Clinton has tested the waters of overt appeals to latent racist sentiment in the US.

Feb. 08 2008 11:32 AM
hjs from 11211

slowereastside (5) that's just silly!

Feb. 08 2008 11:31 AM
rick from nyc

we are watching what seems to happen with everything, especially the Iraq war;
the media doesn't seem to dig in and only after the action do we see what was really happening.
I get the feeling that if we elect Obama, we'll somehow "wake up" and find out we really didn't know that much about him. (full disclosure, I support Clinton but will vote democratic no who wins)

Feb. 08 2008 11:29 AM
rp

I fit every characteristic that is reported as an Obama supporter. I was an Edwards supporter and seek the most progressive (i.e., LIBERAL) candidate. My dream would be an FDR/JFK avatar only preferably a Latina or African-American woman. But that ain't happening. I thinki Hilary is not the DLC privatizing, triangulating politician that Bill Clinton was. She is far more progressive than Obama. (NOTE Kerry's support of Obama because his medical plan is "market-based". Obama's coolness is not progressiveness.

Feb. 08 2008 11:29 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

YES! Marie Coco hit the nail on the head. Simplistic analysis of this election by the media. Absolutely. And Super Tuesday was the QED. So Brian, your mission is to provide more nuanced analysis -- fewer assumption, eschew mindless speculation, more deep digging.
PLEASE!!

Feb. 08 2008 11:29 AM
Leo from Queens

I understand that the media tends to oversimplify things and make broad categorizations.
but This woman is completely wrong!. Is she getting these 'facts' from the Clinton playbook?

Obama got 44% of the vote in California - ( so are we saying most of these people have a post graduate degree? - Baloney!!!

Feb. 08 2008 11:29 AM
slowereastside from manhattan

Basically, Ms. Cocco is saying that Hillary has convinced not very bright people to vote for her.

Am I missing anything?

Feb. 08 2008 11:28 AM
Laura from Stony Brook, NY

I have only a HS education - yet I voted for Obama. My cousin is a University Professor with a Ph.D. and she is for Hillary. My 82 year old mother is for Obama - so much for surveys.

Feb. 08 2008 11:27 AM
Waldo from Chelsea

Somebody please tell Brian that Obama doesn't have a "universal" health care plan. He has criticized Hillary's plan because she "mandates" coverage for all. Obama says some people won't be able to afford it.

And did no one see the Times article (Sunday) about Obama's major contributor being the company that owns the nuclear plant that Obama brags about regulating.

He's all smoke and mirrors and VERY thin-skinned (as is GWB). Charisma's terrific but it doesn't pay the rent -- or get stuff done.

Feb. 08 2008 11:20 AM
ab

I think a lot of people think it's more than just a word.

At any rate, I think there are vulnerabilities to both of them in the general. I'm worried that the Repubs will get it together and unite against whichever one it is and the ignorant public will be swayed by the usual mix of fear-mongering, swift boat style politics, over the top nationalistic "patriotic" platitudes and the mantra of lowering taxes....in other words the same old bloody thing.

Feb. 08 2008 11:17 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

Hillary Clinton has be examined from stem to stern for years. Obama has not received a tiny fraction of this intense inspection. I think the fact that Obama has not been exposed to this scrutiny is a huge potential problem for the upcoming election. I am not sanguine about the Democrat's chances in November -- never under estimate the Republican machine. I am also sick of the mantra of change, change, change. As if that word is enough. And I don't give a fig for John Kerry's opinions.

Feb. 08 2008 11:12 AM