Tri-State Results

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Peter Woolley, the director of the Public Mind at Farleigh Dickinson University, Lee Miringoff, the director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion, and Howard L. Reiter, the Chair of the Political Science Department at the University of Connecticut, run down the tri-state poll results from Super Tuesday.

Lee Miringoff, Howard L. Reiter and Peter Woolley

Jeremy from Manhattan

All of these analysts who want the primary race decided and think it's bad for either party to have a fight that continues for another month are nuts! It's only early February — the general election is still nine months away! The convesnions aren't until this summer. Assuming the parties decide on their candidates very soon, what are they going to do for the next five months, let alone the next nine?!? The public is going to tire of these candidates (as is the news media) pretty fast. (In the end, this front loading is a disaster for the democratic process.) Consequently, it's much better that the races continue for a while. It continues to generate interest in the candidates and the campaign.

Feb. 07 2008 01:12 AM
CH from Staten Island

Ah, Susan, I see your point. Perhaps this is an example of men trying to figure out how we women think. I do not think men have quite grasped the notion of the compartmentalized, continually multi-tasking woman's mind.

Feb. 06 2008 11:39 AM
Lloyd from Manhattan

The NY person who claims he cast a "write-in" ballot must have requested an Affidavit Ballot that is given to anyone whose name does not appear on the roll, but who claims the right to vote. The Affidavit Ballot is provisional and is examined later. This one will probably be rejected as the voter was not an enrolled Democrat.

Feb. 06 2008 11:38 AM
Susan from Kingston, New York

CH The categorization of women by their class and degrees irritates me. Are they categorizing men that way.

Feb. 06 2008 11:31 AM
Steven

Brian,

Enough with the race issues!! Did I just hear you ask about Jesse Jackson in 1984? Why not compare the ibook with the Apple II?

I am so disappointed that you are obsessing about this race narrative. Do you really believe that race is an issue in Idaho..why would it be in NY, NJ and CT? The fact is that the tools pollsters use are outdated for the complexity of this election cycle.

Obama's greater success among black voters has a great deal to do with Bill Clinton's comments. I am certain if Bill Clinton made veiled attacks at Latino voters they may react in a similar fashion.

Feb. 06 2008 11:31 AM
Ellen Sackstein from Long Beach, NY

It would seem that comparing historic statewide primary results by race is limited by, among other things, shifts in demographics over time.

Feb. 06 2008 11:29 AM
CH from Staten Island

A PS to Susan: I am a 50 year old woman with a college degree. And I still prefer Obama, as do most of the women I know, though admittedly my social circle is rather small.

Feb. 06 2008 11:27 AM
Mark from Brooklyn

NEW YORK COUNT

Clinton won

Through divisive talk

Take that away

And the People choose Barack

Feb. 06 2008 11:25 AM
CH from Staten Island

I think the closeness of the Democratic party split is NOT and indication of a divided party. I think most Dems are like me and my partner: we both voted for Obama, but would happily support Clinton. It isn't that we do not like Clinton, just that we prefer Obama a bit more. So I, personally, am split: 55% of me prefers Obama, 45% prefers Clinton. Either way, the Dems have a winner.

Feb. 06 2008 11:25 AM
Susan from Kingston, New York

I know a lot of women who voting for Hillary Clinton who have two and three university degrees. Many professional women from all races are voting for Hillary Clinton. I don't where you are getting your biased information.

Feb. 06 2008 11:17 AM
G from Brooklyn

How many citizens voted in this primary?
34% of *registered* Dems compared to 19% in 2004 NY Dem primary -- how much of the voting age population is that?

Also wondering how this breaks out by age and race . . .

Feb. 06 2008 11:17 AM
Leslie Yarmo from East Village

i would like to know some basic numbers.
1. Which candidate (Republican or Democrat) has received the most votes total so far - this is not a question about deligates. I'm wondering who is getting more people out to vote.
And,
2. Which party is attracting more votes total so far?
Thank you.
Leslie Yarmo

Feb. 06 2008 11:14 AM
Dan from NJ

BRIAN!

Ask about the new breakdown of party registration in NJ now that voters had a reason to pick a party.

This could really sway the view of the NJ electorate.

Dan

Feb. 06 2008 11:11 AM
jsu from bronx

Leon,
NY decided to just get swept us in the drama
but when they wake up they will surge for OBAMA

Feb. 06 2008 11:08 AM
jsu from bronx

last night we showed we were a GREAT AMERICA!!!
We showed that we could vote for a Black American and a Woman American. That is the bottom line. PUNDANTS, STOP TRYING TO DIVIDE US. Stop using the CARL ROWE METHOND of politicing by using wedge issues to win by just 51%.
Americans and the Democrats WILL come together for the general election and for our country. Especially if OBAMA is the democratic nominee!!!!

Feb. 06 2008 11:06 AM
Moiz Kapadia

Brian - who did you vote for!?

Feb. 06 2008 11:01 AM