Exit Polls Part One

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

It's coast-to-coast coverage as the votes start rolling in on Tsunami Tuesday. From Illinois: Lynn Sweet, the Washington bureau chief of the Chicago Sun Times. From New York: WNYC reporter Arun Venugopal. From New Jersey: Mike Kelly, a columnist at The Record of New Jersey, and Congressman Scott Garrett. Plus, we take your calls in our informal, unofficial, thoroughly unscientific Brian Lehrer show exit poll.

Congressman Scott Garrett, Mike Kelly, Lynn Sweet and Arun Venugopal
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Michelle Interlicchio from Babylon, NY

I just voted - was one of those Democratic "undecideds" until today. I originally liked Richardson-after he dropped out, thought I'd vote for Edwards, then became torn. Thought Clinton's experience better, but it came down to electability, think Obama has better chance. So, I voted all my delegates for Obama and my presidential choice Richardson ("protest" vote?).
I was surprised I could do that - also, wondering if anyone else has done that or voted for split delegates - some for Clinton and some for Obama?

Feb. 05 2008 04:49 PM
Lucy from NJ

I haven't voted yet, but I can't wait to cast my vote for Obama. We need to move beyond 16 years of scandals (Monica Lewinski, Whitewater Impeachment), Republican vs. Democrats, war and division.

Experience only goes so far. We've had experience before...

It's time for change and we are ready.

Go Obama!

Feb. 05 2008 12:42 PM
elizabeth

Obama.

After feeling supportive of Clinton for quite a while (as well as liking Edwards), something snapped one day a couple of weeks ago and I no longer felt that she was right.
Oddly, I am not the only person I know who went through the same thing..

And, this morning, I helped convince my undecided Fed-Ex carrier to vote for Obama - asking him to help another undecided person today do the same..

Feb. 05 2008 12:39 PM
jen from lower east side

the poll workers were very confused and could barely tell us what table and machine we should goto to vote. they also had no instructions on how to use the machines. i sure hope our votes are counted! also - a guy who had an obama banner on his bike was kicked out of the building for having his bike with him - I HOPE it was just because of the bike and that he got to put his bike in...!

Feb. 05 2008 12:29 PM
Roopali Mukherjee from East Harlem, New York

I was likely one of many who called in the show this morning and waited without making it on air. I take heart in the fact that as I waited a lot of first-time voting immigrants like me did manage to speak. If I had made it on air I would said this:

I'm from India and have lived in the U.S. for the past twenty years. I was bewildered and frustrated when Bush won reelection in 2004 and decided then that I was done being a spectator in American politics. I applied for citizenship and was naturalized in 2006. I voted this morning for the first in my life and chose Barack Obama as my presidential candidate. He promises the greatest shift in political and social priorities from those the neo-conservatives in the White House have imposed on the nation for the past seven years. I think a lot of us are in the mood for the kind of leap of faith that his candidacy epitomizes.

Feb. 05 2008 12:26 PM
ab

#103

How are the Dems a "small % of the population"? Registered Dems are more than half the country. If he becomes the nominee he'll have just as legitimate a chance to win as someone else who becomes the nominee (if you are just measuring it on that basis!)

Maybe you think the Dems who are voting for him are thinking "I want him to win the nomination....but I plan on not voting for him in the national because he is black"? Of course that wouldn't make much sense would it? And the same could be thought about Hillary due to being a woman and she's..well...Hillary and comes with Clintonian baggage. And if the polls are to be trusted Obama is pulling in more independents all of which which would appear to suggest he has at least as good a chance as she would in the national.

Feb. 05 2008 12:19 PM
hjs from 11211

tom
i agree. gore made a lot of mistakes, gore couldn't even win his home state.
nader has every right to run.

Feb. 05 2008 12:12 PM
Tom from Dobbs Ferry

I can't believe the comment Natalie just made: NADAR TOOK VOTES FROM GORE. Well I voted for Nadar NOT GORE! If I wanted Gore I would have voted for GORE!!!

Natalie - if you want to blame someone for Gore losing, blame those registered Florida Democrats that voted for BUSH! There were more of them then us with no party affiliation, who care more to vote for the candidate that we WANT to become the President...not the candidate we think will win!

We who voted for Nadar did so because we stood up! Stood up for what was right! Stood up to be counted! That is democracy! You are the kind of person that says things like "Dont complain if you dont vote!" Then when I vote you tell me I voted for the wrong person!

This idea that Nadar voters cost Gore is so entitled, so arrogant, so undemocratic that it is not even funny.

Feb. 05 2008 12:09 PM
hjs from 11211

gretchen,

today democrats are voting for delegates i think.

Feb. 05 2008 12:06 PM
gretchen from carroll gardens

Confusion in the Voting Booth?

My husband and I voted this morning and came out of the booths confused. We both pulled the lever for Obama, but diverged on the delegate list below. He only pulled the Obama lever, assuming that would vote for the entire Obama list. I pulled the lever for each of the six delegates listed under Obama, plus the Obama alternate.

Who did it right? What's the difference between voting for the candidate and the delegates?
Please explain!

Feb. 05 2008 12:00 PM
Carolyn from Stuyvesant Town

I voted for Obama. Like Obama, Hillary is highly intelligent and has sound policy positions. You might say that they're both brilliant -- although in different ways. But Obama is far superior to Hillary in character and judgment, as well as in "poetry."

First, there's the Billary issue -- I want a democracy, not a dynasty, and I don't want to have to hold my nose through another sleazy, scandal-plagued Clinton presidency, as I had to do in 1993-2001, even though I'd voted for Clinton twice.

And then there's Hillary's voting record -- not only her vote for the Iraq war in 2003, but also her votes on a number of other matters, including her vote against the cluster bomb amendment in 2006 (an amendment supported by Obama), when she showed a deficit of empathy as well as courage. The self-styled "children's advocate" didn't have the moral courage to vote for that amendment -- and she never had the political courage to explain her vote to her constituents and the nation. In fact, I'm not aware of a single courageous vote by Hillary since she became a senator.

Finally, I'd like to add that I'd love to be able to vote for a woman president, but I want the first woman president to be one elected in her own right, not one who's come into office on her husband's coat-tails. When that woman is elected, she'll really make history, just as Obama will when he's elected president.

Feb. 05 2008 12:00 PM
Wendy Bellows from New York

EXPERIENCE??? LET'S BE ACCURATE:
OBAMA: 8 years elected official, Illinois State Senate, and almost 1 term in the US Senate.
CLINTON: 7 years elected experience.
EDWARDS: 6 years experience.

Feb. 05 2008 11:56 AM
Bill from Basking Ridge, NJ

I decided Saturday to vote for Obama. I had been with Hillary up until that point, persuaded by her experience, her command of issues, and her campaign's ability to play the bare-knuckle politics often required to beat the other side.

But the CA CNN debate Thursday persuaded me to think hard one more time about electability. Their policy differences are not distinct enough to push me one way or the other. Is Hillary really more electable? I thought Obama's summary towards the end, that he'd make a better contrast to McCain on Iraq was persuasive. I'm also persuaded (by Plotz on Slate's gabfest) that Hillary will just be too big a lightening rod to energize the republican base.

I do think the November race will be decided on 1)character/values, 2)it's the economy stupid, 3) iraq. In that order.

Go democrats!

rgds, Bill

Feb. 05 2008 11:53 AM
Steve Wing from Milford, Connecticut

At my polling place this morning there was a line to vote democrat, and a wait of several minutes. While I was there only one republican showed up.

I voted for Barack Obama.

Feb. 05 2008 11:52 AM
amanda from hoboken

for me, it's hillary. but as a democrat...i feel very hopeful either way.

Feb. 05 2008 11:51 AM
Wendy Bellows from New York

For those who say Obama would be no good at foreign policy, here is an email I got from my cousin, age mid-50s, born in the US, lived the past 30 years outside the US as part of the Philippine family he married into, worked and still works for the U.N., with more than 20 years in Asia and now over 10 years in Europe working in Africa and the Near East:

Sen. Obama is the first candidate for president in US history with family in both Indonesia and Kenya. He spent a number of primary school years in Indonesia where his step-father's family lives, and later re-established close links with his Western Kenyan family. He has experienced and has thought about poverty on a scale unknown IN, but influenced BY, the US. He has experienced and thought about political corruption and about the human face of dictatorship, and the problems with simply responses like invasions. Presidential politicies are the result of many forces, but Sen. Obama's foreign policy decisions would not be the shallow reflection of popularity polls and bureaucratic group-think. They would have a foundation in first-hand experience, in real respect for other cultures, and in decades of thoughtful reflection. I respect the bases of his considered positions on international problems and I believe that, with the growth of China, India, Indonesia, Brazil, and Nigeria, and the whole next tier of developing countries that are succeeding, America's future and the world's depends on such a well-founded understanding.

Feb. 05 2008 11:49 AM
FELIX RAMIREZ from NEW JERSEY

I VOTED FOR HILARY. BECAUSE I KNOW HER POSITION. OBAMA IS ALL GENERAL, WHEN THE REPUBLICAN START ATTAKING OBAMA ON THE WAR, HIS ADMITTED COCAIN USED, DRIVER LISENSE FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT, VERY LITTLE EXPERIENCE ON ANY THING ONLY WHITE LIBERAL DEMOCRAT WILL VOTE FOR HIM, THERE IS NOT WAY REPUBLICAN ARE GOING TO UNITE WITH HIM ON ANY THING, VERY NAIVE POSITION. NO REALITY.

Feb. 05 2008 11:48 AM
Ted from Brooklyn

I've always been baffled by the inclination that Hillary Clinton is the experience candidate. Biden and Dodd were the experience candidates. Even more baffling is the idea that she has more experience than Obama. Obama was an elected official for the Illinois State Senate for 8 years and is nearing the end of his first term in the US Senate. Clinton has 7 years elected experience. Edwards only has 6 years experience. They're all qualified in my opinion but this discussion about Obama being the least experienced must stop!

Feb. 05 2008 11:44 AM
kira from brooklyn

I voted this morning and was pleased and surprised to discover that in addition to voting for my 'official' pick for Democratic presidential nomination I could also select the delegates I want to represent me. The great thing about this is that as a female, it was very difficult to fill in the Obama oval, but because I think he'll do the best job running our country I had to make that selection. To assuage my guilt of not voting for Hillary, I selected only female delegates 3 of whom had pledged to vote for her and 3 for Obama. 'Democratic' to the end...

Feb. 05 2008 11:42 AM
hjs from 11211

95,
sorry, if he gets the notation he will not win. this country is so racist and anyone who thinks otherwise lives under a rock. of course some liberal democrats will vote of him but he will not win a general election. winning a primary where a small % of the general population shows up is not an indicator of a November victory.

sorry I was not clearer in my first post.

Feb. 05 2008 11:27 AM
wade from brooklyn

Listening to your show at present. Just before the on air break you were asking for callers who are placing their "First Vote in a Presidential Election."

This is misguiding and flatly wrong. This is a Primary. Please be clear.

Feb. 05 2008 11:25 AM
DMH from West Village

OBAMA BECAUSE OF HEALTH CARE. For three reasons: (1) The comparison to Social Security is spurious because no one profits from Social Security besides the citizenry, whereas Hillary's plan ensures that the citizenry will subsidize the financial interests of both doctors and insurance companies. (2)Not even in the progressive state of California could a popular Republican governor enact a Hillary-like insurance plan, with mandate. Why not? California Democrats determined that they could not pay for the plan. (3) No president is going to be able to reform health care without support in congress, and if Hillary eeks out a victory, it will be by a narrow margin, whereas I think Obama has a shot at bringing aboard Independents and Republicans and changing the dynamics in congress.

Feb. 05 2008 11:23 AM
Mark from Brooklyn

I love all the folks who slag Obama for not saying anything "concrete." Same folks who found Gore's policy speeches BORING. Go to the man's website, you'll get your policy...

Feb. 05 2008 11:20 AM
et from here

Hillary!

Feb. 05 2008 11:20 AM
hjs from 11211

i did like brooks but for him to bring 1992 the day of the primary seems like he is puting a hex on my senator. what's that all about does he have reason to fear her winning big today??

Feb. 05 2008 11:20 AM
Dick Hubert from Rye Brook, New York

To answer the posts:

1) If I wanted to vote for McCain or Obama in the primaries, to pick two, when they announced for the Presidency, New York State voter registration rules would not have allowed me to do so...the deadline for registration for me as either a Republican pr Democrat for this election would have already passed. I can't imagine why either party would want to keep the door closed to new members...unless they fear independent minded new members. And clearly those fears aren't shared by the Democratic and Republican parties in the states I mentioned - Georgia and New Hampshire, for starters. As I say, politically, New York is a neanderthal state.

2) To answer another post, if I show up at the polls today, even if I am a registered voter (which I am), as an Independent I will not be allowed to vote in New York State.

Feb. 05 2008 11:20 AM
Roz from nyc

Going to the following website was something of an epiphany. It polls you strictly on the issues (doesn't initially link the candidate's name with their stand) until the second 'results page') which then ranks the candidates views according to yours. It actually caused me to change my candidate. Here's the link:

Feb. 05 2008 11:20 AM
ab

Darrell #95

Right on!

Feb. 05 2008 11:19 AM
ab

Mark #96

yeah,whoohoo! Reminds me of why I despise the SI!

Feb. 05 2008 11:18 AM
ab

I don't think 77 is necessarily racist either (perhaps overly cynical though). Though you can say exactly the same thing about whether or not Americans will vote for a woman in a national election...or a Mormon or an Evangelist. So it is certainly interesting that the commentor focused on that one trait when there are a few candidates who you can say similar things about.

But I wondered the same thing until he took Iowa..if he can win a state that is that overwhelmingly white..then I think anything is possible.

Feb. 05 2008 11:17 AM
Mark from Brooklyn

Re: Caller from Staten Island. Let's hear it for the SI racists. No one does nativism like the Island.

Feb. 05 2008 11:16 AM
Darrell from Queens, NY

HJS: I can't believe I'm even dignifying this with a response. How can you say there is no proof when people actually voted for him? Have you been under a rock? We've had 4 primaries already.

Feb. 05 2008 11:13 AM
Freddy Jenkins

Obama for me.

Would've considered Edwards had he stayed in the race. Poverty and joblessness are a tremendous problem in this so-called "richest most powerful nation."

Don't trust Clinton because I can't help but think that for all her "experience"--that there's only so much "heart" in what she's purported to have done. It smacks of naked ambition to me. She'll probably keep the troops in Iraq for at least another 20 years. Our part of the NATO presence in Kosovo wasn't supposed to be as long as it has been.

Feb. 05 2008 11:09 AM
Nina Fraas from Bowery, NYC

I could find no mention of "crazy eyes" in Brooks' NY Times editorial, only a discussion of her "dark side' which seems to be a Clinton trait along with controversy. Outsiders become insiders by necessity. Obama is organized and an organizer. His health care plan has a better chance of approval. A mandate is doomed - something that can be tweaked and improved over time has a much better chance for implementation.

Feb. 05 2008 11:06 AM
hjs from 11211

77 was not rasist. it is true that there is no proof that americans would vote for a half white - half Kenyan man, who's spent a few years in the senate.

Feb. 05 2008 11:03 AM
ab

Theodora #88

Totally! These dismissive comments regarding experience seem to be convenient excuses. Like you said, Cheney and Rumsfeld had more experience than Hillary and Obama combined.....obviously "experience" has nothing to do with judgement!

Feb. 05 2008 11:00 AM
Richard from Manhattan

OBAMA! I am a college student voting in Maine, though I live in Manhattan and attend NYU... I'm excited about the prospect of a new politics with well-formed ideas and unifying impuslses. I'm done with all empires -- American, political, familial.

Feb. 05 2008 11:00 AM
MaryS-NJ from New Jersey

Dick Hubert: Can you vote "Independent" or must there be an "Independent" on the ballot? I'm wondering if it's possible to write in Barack Obama if you vote as an Independent.

Feb. 05 2008 10:59 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

I voted for Obama, my third choice.

Seven years of G. W. Bush has created an atmosphere where most all political discussion is acerbic at best and people are so divided that they seem to vote more on the impulse to counter the opposition that voting in either their best interest or (forbid) for the Greater Good. My original choice was someone I thought would be best for the nation and bringing the country together, the fmr. governor of Virginia, Mark Warner. He did not run. My second choice was senator Biden. Though I wanted to vote for Biden today (and wish I would have--Biden for the nominee with Obama's delegates), in the end, I voted for Obama. I love Senator Clinton as our senator; however our country cannot survive another 4 to 8 years of rancor.

Feb. 05 2008 10:58 AM
hjs from 11211

aphgan 77

right on!

Feb. 05 2008 10:57 AM
Theodora from NY

Hillary's supports point to her experience and her healthcare plan as two reasons for voting for her.

Experience without judgment is dangerous. Hillary Clinton's "experience" did not stop her from voting for the Iraq War. Dick Cheney and Rumsfeld are experienced and look where they got us.

On the issue of her healthcare plan, please read David Brooks article in today's New York Times.

Feb. 05 2008 10:56 AM
hjs from 11211

hey dick,

tell me why someone who is not a member of the democratic party should be aloud to choose the democratic party's nominee.
this November pick a party, then in 4 years you can help shape the process. there's only 2 parties in the country. pick one that you feel closest to . if you don't feel close to either then you have no reason to vote in a primary..

Feb. 05 2008 10:56 AM
adsf

PS a good message board enables folks to build on ideas presented by others.

It's worth listening to BL but reading a little gaggle of BL knockoffs is just excruciating.

Feb. 05 2008 10:55 AM
ab

"It doesn't matter if he was serious or not."

Actually it DOES matter that he wasn't running a serious campaign! Nothing matters more!

Feb. 05 2008 10:54 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

its leaning towards McCain is cause MSM points the way the want people to go...Brian you have given RP .05% of the time you should...he is and has always been a viable candidate for President.

Feb. 05 2008 10:53 AM
Andre from Westchester

I voted for John Edwards even though he suspended his campaign. I think Edwards shaped the tone of the democrats campaign and he should continue exercise influence albeit indirectly.

Feb. 05 2008 10:53 AM
Chad Harris from Ridgewood

aphgan irakson - even though your post was racist, I will respond.

A vote for Hillary is a vote for republicans. She is neck to neck with McCain. Obama would blow him out of the water. The thing you don't understand is that there are far more democrats in this country than Republicans. They will get off their asses and vote for him.

Feb. 05 2008 10:53 AM
adsf

BL Show -- these message boards are getting a bit juvenile and mean -- ie waste of time

(I get it, most listeners think America is dumb except for them and old people are ignorant.)

Feb. 05 2008 10:52 AM
Chad Harris from Ridgewood

"He wasn't running a serious campaign, was he?"

It doesn't matter if it was serious or not. You can't vote for him.

Brian of course never mentions it.

oligarchy much?

Feb. 05 2008 10:51 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

RP will be around till November...I will support him to the end...BTW i do know my history...I am from Boston and know all about the Kennedy's(I have shaken as many Kennedy hands as possible I love them)...but what does JFK have to do with the state of the world right now...if they are talking about Obama having the same supeficial charm granted...we need more than charm...

Nice a RP caller!...i support RP cause I believe in liberty or more correctly we NEED to have liberty!

Feb. 05 2008 10:51 AM
ab

Oh and yes i don't like that Bill would be back in the white house. Don't get me wrong, I think he was the best President in my lifetime (I'm a Gen X'er though so that isn't really saying much!) However I don't like the idea of the dynasty factor either...it seems very undemocratic to me and we are not a monarchy so in principle, the idea that Bill would be back in the White House, probably running a lot of things behind the scenes..is also a very disturbing precedent to me.

Feb. 05 2008 10:51 AM
aphgan irakson from brooklyn

geneal salutations from the real world,
You all know it but too PC to say it:
anybody who thinks a black candidate can win a general election does not understand the country we live in.
then its simple if YOu vote for Obama, you're really voting for ARepablican.
Yes what i am saying is rasist, reactionary and absolutly true.

brooklyn

Feb. 05 2008 10:49 AM
ab

Gravel? LOL!
He wasn't running a serious campaign, was he?

Feb. 05 2008 10:47 AM
Dick Hubert from Rye Brook, New York

As a registered independent (a "NON" on the voter rolls), I would have had to register as either a Democrat or a Republican AFTER THE LAST GENERAL ELECTION in order to be able to vote today in New York.

My eldest son, who lives in Georgia, can go to the polls and declare as a Democrat or a Republican on election day!

Give me the freedom of Georgia (or New Hampshire) any day of the week!

New York is a state heading down the tubes, and its treatment by the official Democratic and Republican parties of independents is not just a national disgrace, but indicative of a power-grabbing duoply that is detroying the state - its economy, and its spirit.

Feb. 05 2008 10:47 AM
Marcia from Long Branch, NJ

Yes, I also hate "Are you the one?" I couldn't bear to listen to that until November.

Feb. 05 2008 10:47 AM
MaryS-NJ from New Jersey

I was planning to vote for John Edwards, and was still tempted today when I voted. However, when Edwards suspended his campaign, I felt it made most to choose one of the two viable candidates.

Clinton and Obama have similar platforms and want to do the same things for international relations and healthcare, although the devil's in the details. They have similar voting records. Neither has a perfect progressive voting record but both have done much more good than harm in office and I try to take their records as a whole.

Ultimately, it came down to pragmatism (Clinton) or Idealism (Obama). I think Obama's message is the right one going forward for our country and our party, but right now we need someone who will focus on the problems we're facing immediately. I wanted to vote for the one who I feel is best focused on what needs fixing.

That's why I voted for Hillary Clinton.

That being said, if Barack Obama wins the nomination, I'll be happy to support him. Honestly, we're very lucky to have such good candidates this year.

Feb. 05 2008 10:46 AM
Chad Harris from Ridgewood

I voted this morning, why isn't Mike Gravel on the ballot? I had to vote for Obama.

Feb. 05 2008 10:45 AM
ab

Proudly voted for Obama because Hillary is too far to the right and her explanation for her vote for the war is ridiculous, stubborn and shows a lack of judgement. Her inability to apologize and take responsibility for her actions is extremely disturbing to me. We already had several years of a president who is stubborn, shows a lack of judgement and has an inability to apologize and say he was wrong...do we really need another?

I will vote for Hillary enthusiastically against any Republican but I am worried that she is too divisive (yes the ability to inspire people DOES matter-a LOT in fact) and that she sacrifices her principles for political expediency way too easily. In the end, in my decision between her and Obama, the war vote and her continued lame explanation for it illustrates what concerns me about her (also that i think that vote was immoral and idiotic). If she had taken responsibility for it,like Edwards and said "I made a mistake" I would have had a harder decision but that put me in the Obama camp.

Feb. 05 2008 10:44 AM
hjs from 11211

joe Corrao,

know your history and u will know your future!

Feb. 05 2008 10:43 AM
MAB from Brooklyn

Joe Corrao. I'm curious, who will you vote for if Ron Paul drops out of the race before November?

Feb. 05 2008 10:43 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

did I tune in to the senile voting bloc call in?

Feb. 05 2008 10:42 AM
BORED

Stop using HRC and progressive in the same breath for that matter don't use it with Obama either. Making everyone pay for insurance and then allowing the insurance companies to deny people life saving treatment( why doesn't anyone talk about this)IS NOT PROGRESSIVE.

Feb. 05 2008 10:41 AM
David A. from Brooklyn

48 years ago, in first and second grade I was in an elementary school that was segregated-- it was "white". An hour ago I voted for an inspiring, brilliant Black man, not as a "statement" but because he is the most qualified candidate. And he will be the next president of the United States. We are starting to overcome.

Feb. 05 2008 10:41 AM
Jamie from Pelham,NY

Obama 08
I had also supported Edwards before, proud to vote for Obama today.

Feb. 05 2008 10:41 AM
anne from new jersey

I decided late last night to vote for Obama...
just came back from the polls.

I re watched some speeches/appearances by both Clinton and Obama and I based my decision on these re-viewings.
They are both brilliant,caring,knowledgable hard working.But I feel that Obama will be a better listener than Clinton.
I will definitely vote for Clinton if she gets the Democratic nomination though,without reservation.

Feb. 05 2008 10:37 AM
Marie Mitchelle from Connecticut

I OFFER A VERY DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE. I JUST MOVED BACK HOME AFTER HAVING LIVED IN EUROPE AND THE MIDDLE EAST. THE GENERAL SENTIMENT ABROAD IS FOR OBAMA. MOST PEOPLE FEEL THAT HILLARY IS NO "MAGARET THATCHER" OR FOR THAT MATTER "ANGELA MERKLE." IN A WORLD WHERE IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN AND IRAN ARE UNSTABLE, I HAVE A HARD TIME SEEING MRS CLINTON STAND UP TO HUGO CHAVEZ. ALSO, EUROPE WILL BE MORE LIKELY TO BACK OBAMA OR FOR THAT MATTER, MCAIN THAN THEY WOULD CLINTON. I BELIEVE MRS CLINTON WILL MAKE A FINE PRESIDENT, BUT THIS IS JUST NOT THE TIME. I ALWAYS WONDER HOW BILL CLINTON WOULD HAVE ACTED IF HE WERE PRESIDENT AFTER 9 11. TIMES ARE CHANGING AND SO MUST WE. I AM A WOMAN EXPECTING TWINS AND I FEEL THAT IT IS MY MORAL OBLIHATION TO VOTE FOR OBAMA.HILLARY'S HEALTHCARE PLAN SEEMS ALMOST GREAT, BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. THE PEOPLE WHO GO INTO THE WHITE HOUSE COME OUT AS VERY DIFFERENT PEOPLE... I TRUST OBAMA

Feb. 05 2008 10:37 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

Ron Paul btw

Feb. 05 2008 10:35 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

it takes Obama 10 minutes to tell you the time

Feb. 05 2008 10:35 AM
Laura from NJ

Hillary!

6th person to vote! Only one Republican had showed up at my poll when i went. Democrats are out in force. booya!

Feb. 05 2008 10:35 AM
joshua from Manhattan

Clinton looks to the future with progressive and realistic policies - how to end the war, bring universal healthcare, etc.

Obama keeps living in the past talking about how he opposed the war years ago.. when he wasn't even a sentator

Feb. 05 2008 10:34 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

The Brian Lehrer show responds: Please try and keep the discussion within the confines of the WNYC posting guidelines.

Feb. 05 2008 10:34 AM
hjs from 11211

joshua, 45

amen!!

Feb. 05 2008 10:34 AM
Darrell from Queens, NY

I'm an independent so unfortunately I can't vote. But I would vote for Obama. I'm not sure why everyone says he has no substance. He has a healthcare plan that will be the most affordable saving americans $2,500 a year on average. (Clinton hasn't announced an estimated savings). He has the largest tuition tax credit of $4,000 to Hillary's $3,500. He's the only candidate in the race that has a plan for saving social security of taxing wages up to $200k. Clinton promises to build a commission to discuss it (which does nothing). He promises to elect a Cheif Technology Officer to handle updating our government's tech programs to run better and smoothly. Anyone who see's how well his website works can see the beauty in that. There is substance.

Feb. 05 2008 10:32 AM
Tony from Brooklyn

Voting for a woman because you're a woman is rather absurd. I'm a black man and was looking forward to voting for Edwards because he had the most well thought out platform.
Imagine running a candidate who provokes such a visceral negative response from so many people left and right against a centrist leaning republican like McCain. That's just not a chance we can take. Hillary isn't just running in NYC. She's running in NASCAR country. She's running in Jena. She's running in suburbs where women vote the way their husbands tell them. And if she's elected against the odds, "I blocked Hillary's agenda" will be what republican congresspeople run on for the next four years.
Look at the Supreme Court. Look at the state of the military. Look at our sinking position in the world morally and economically. We can't afford to elect symbols(or do you not make the connection between Nadar and the 2000 election). We need to elect the democrat with the best chance to win, and the best chance to get his progressive agenda through congress. We MUST vote for Obama.

Feb. 05 2008 10:32 AM
Chris O from New York

#47 - It seems gramatically correct to call them the Democrat party, no? I know they don't like the terminology, it sounds bad. But if Sue is a Republican and Jim is a Democrat, then Sue is a member of the Republican party and is not Jim a member of the Democrat Party?

Feb. 05 2008 10:31 AM
Ash in Manhattan from Manhattan

No one has mentioned how much CLASS Obama has! He is bright, charismatic and he oozes class! It's high time America had a statesman/stateswoman at its helm. I could live with a Hillary nomination, but it is Obama who makes my heart (and my head!) sing!

Feb. 05 2008 10:30 AM
Linda epstein from Tribeca

My daughter went with me to the polls before school. She wanted to make sure that I voted for Hillary.

I have a lot of admiration for Barack Obama.It took me a long time to make up my mind. I think Hillary is the most qualified and we need a woman in the White House.

Iron my vote!

Feb. 05 2008 10:28 AM
Chris O from New York

I voted for Hillary once in 2000 and feel totally let down by her vote for the war. That was a horrible choice, and obviously so at the time. September 11 was exploited by Bush and his enablers (in this case Clinton) to start a war against a nation that posed no threat, had no links to alQaeda and had nothing to do with September 11. We became just like those terrorists when we attacked Iraq.

Feb. 05 2008 10:28 AM
Grant from Brooklyn

Hey Brian. When did you start calling the Democratic Party, the "Democrat Party". Cut it out, okay? That's not its name.

Feb. 05 2008 10:28 AM
slowereastside from manhattan

Gawd, these people are frightening.

Anyone deciding at the last minute, or like the first caller 'who closed his eyes and voted,' really should NOT be voting. People like this are the reason why democracies bounce across history like a drunk driver racing to get home to watch her favorite television show. It's amazing we haven't done more damage to the world...aye-yi-yi.

Anyway, I voted for Obama because Hillary has crazy eyes.

Feb. 05 2008 10:27 AM
joshua from Manhattan

42:

this is an election for who YOU want to be president.. you're not placing a bet on a horse

Choosing the person you think will win is called gambling

Choosing who you think will be the best president is called Democracy

Feb. 05 2008 10:27 AM
ericf from jersey city

i just wanted to point out that we are in the process of nominating a candidate for president not for chief of staff.

Feb. 05 2008 10:26 AM
Kristy from Morningside Heights

Actions speak louder than words. Clinton.

Feb. 05 2008 10:24 AM
Roberta from Brooklyn (now at work in Jackson Heights)

I decided today to vote for Obama because I think he has a better chance of winning.

I think that Hillary might make a better president, but it's close--I am happy with Obama and pleased to have 2 great candidates from which to choose. And I think McCain will not be as strong a candidate as he might look now--he is very old, and the war issue is a huge negative. The Democratic candidate will have lots of time to point out the war and McCain's willingness to spend decades in Iraq.

But I think we have to keep our eye on the prize and make sure a Democrat wins.

Feb. 05 2008 10:24 AM
joshua from Manhattan

Obama Supporters:

Please turn ON your B.S. detectors

Barak Obama is just as partisan as every other candidate, he's just espousing bull stuff when he says he is post partisan

Feb. 05 2008 10:24 AM
BORED

Since when does HRC make good decisions. How quickly we forget about that vote in 2003.

Feb. 05 2008 10:23 AM
MAB

Obama is not just about inspiration. I also prefer his policies. I also think he would bring better people into office. He is the meat and potatoes along with the gravy.

Feb. 05 2008 10:22 AM
Chris O from New York

Bad news #32 - the election will not be held for 9 months.

Feb. 05 2008 10:22 AM
Betsey from Northampton, MA

I voted for Obama, but I would have voted for Edwards.

Feb. 05 2008 10:22 AM
Niles from Manhattan

Obama! No more Clintons or Bushes. End the partisan war. And don't get hung up on the healthcare plans. Whatever plan eventually gets through will look nothing like what the candidates are proposing now.

Feb. 05 2008 10:21 AM
Marcia from Long Branch, NJ

I was helped in making up my mind by sitting down to dinner with my friend April. She's African American, and I'm Jewish and white, and we had a lot of the same thoughts and concerns. I voted for Hillary Clinton, but I won't be upset if Barack Obama is the candidate.

I voted on the side of preparation: I know Hillary's been preparing herself for this moment since high school. I'm not so concerned about "charisma," but I will be really eager to vote for Obama in 2016!!

Feb. 05 2008 10:21 AM
levinejj from nj

Feels so good to follow through on a promise I made to myself so many years ago:

"Whichever Congressperson absolves their powers and gives Bush the blank check to invade Iraq is banned from my list."

It also feels good to take a chance on someone rather than vote out of fear.

Obama.

Feb. 05 2008 10:19 AM
Jackie from Brooklyn

OBAMA 08

Feb. 05 2008 10:19 AM
Miss Or Ms

I am so tired of this "stuff" already and the election won't be held for 7 months.

the endless hand wringing and OVER analysis, it's all very wearying.

Feb. 05 2008 10:19 AM
Dolores from Woodside

Brian how could you laugh at the "teary eyed breakfast" comment. I expected you to rise above the sexism......

Feb. 05 2008 10:18 AM
hjs from 11211

anyone still voting for edwards?

Feb. 05 2008 10:18 AM
kK from stamford, CT

I'm in the same boat!!! I can't decide! I'm 44 years old, I would have voted for EDWARDS and now I don't know where to turn.

Feb. 05 2008 10:18 AM
John Hahn from NJ

An edwards supporter who still can't decide. i have a few hours.
I vote NO for 'Are you the one?' I agree with Harriet Hill in Brooklyn.
Obama possibly, Hillary Maybe...
The Billary idea is a factor against.
I don't feel Obama can win the national election.
I am not sure Hillary can either.

Feb. 05 2008 10:18 AM
amanda from astoria

i voted this morning before work... after supporting edwards for the past seven years it was not easy to decide. i think that clinton is the safe choice... her ideas are great. but i voted for obama because this country is in trouble and i cant pray for change without voting for someone that just might help.

Feb. 05 2008 10:17 AM
Louis Steinberg from new jersey

My feelings are well expressed by this cartoon http://frankandernest.com/images/archive/92/921104.gif

Feb. 05 2008 10:17 AM
joshua from Manhattan

Inspiration is great.. but short lived
I don't want a canditate that can inspire me this week but 2 years from now drop the ball in a crisis, or be ineffectual in passing legislation once the 'honeymoon' is over

Go Hillary!

Feb. 05 2008 10:15 AM
Carol from Rockland County

I am a registered Democrat and was heavily leaning toward Obama. After Gloria Steinem's piece in the NYTimes, I started rethinking my views. I became increasingly aware of the blatant, blatant sexism at play. Even in today's paper, the NYTimes David Brooks mentions Hillary's crazy eyes (in a quotation). I just feel that men never get this type of illogical scrutiny. Her ankles are thick? Give me a break! People "arent ready" to watch a woman age on television? Insanity! I have wrestled back and forth with who I would vote for. I have decided to vote for Obama in the primary because I disagree with Clinton's votes concerning Iraq. BUT I have to tell you that I would LOVE if she wins and I will actively canvass for her in the general if she is the winner.

Feb. 05 2008 10:15 AM
Susan Brand from Maplewood, NJ

I voted for Obama after fretting for the last three days. I am a woman and wished I could vote for Hillary, but I went with my gut.

Feb. 05 2008 10:14 AM
Jacob

Brian,

Mike Gravel is not on the ballot in New York!

Feb. 05 2008 10:13 AM
Suzanne from New York City

I recognize the longing for change and can see how Obama characterizes that. However, experience counts. I didn't realize how I felt until talking with a friend, who is working in the Obama campaign ... in terms of historical disenfranchisement, changing rules / mores for "women" has done more for equal / civil rights, than arguing for race or nationality. Women hold up half the sky. It's time. I think there is a small part of many men that, however well meaning they may be, is fearful of this change. Again, it's time. I think a Clinton - Obama ticket would be amazing!

Poll in Harlem where I live was fine, records fine, no lines. Lots of Obama signs in store windows!

Feb. 05 2008 10:11 AM
LIsa from Brooklyn, NY

Obama

Feb. 05 2008 10:11 AM
Melanie from Cold Spring, Putnam County

I still cannot decide who to vote for. I will wager however that Hillary will lose the state.

I've been angry with Hillary since her vote to allow Bush to go to war, which I repeatedly begged her not to do through phone calls, written letters and e-mail.

However, she is truly committed to national health and her plan seems the stronger of the two. I think she will be able to break through the inevitable impasses that will arise in Congress and the Senate better than Obama.

I don't think I'll know who I will vote for until I pull the lever tonight after work.

Feb. 05 2008 10:10 AM
Jennifer from Brooklyn

I have to say I went into the polls today I was largely undecided. Seeing Hillary's name on the list for president was so moving, however, that I couldn't vote for Obama. What a day! Her experience and her commitment really won out. Obama has spent as much time campaigning as he has serving our country!

Feb. 05 2008 10:07 AM
DB Lampman from Staten Island

I am supporting Hillary because I feel like she is the most qualified candidate. Obama is charismatic, but it is so typically American to be swayed by charm and good looks over real experience. We've already suffered through 8 years of inexperience and arrogance. Go Hillary!!

Feb. 05 2008 10:06 AM
a woman from manhattan

I'll be voting for Obama today, but have my fingers crossed that Bloomberg will jump into the race before it's too late. You want to see party-wide change? Get an independent into the White House, maybe give him a democrat VP and republican secretary of state.

Feb. 05 2008 10:06 AM
Gaines Hubbell from Knoxville, TN

A lot more are still on the ballot in the states than those that you named, Brian. I'm in Tennessee, and I voted for Biden. I don't care if he dropped out; he best represents my political views in this election. Not that it really matters who is on the ballot besides the front-runners...

Also, it might be interesting to know if someone has done any research on the effect of polls on undecided voters. Does hearing a poll change someone's opinion of a candidate? I think so, but I haven't heard any research to support my opinion.

Feb. 05 2008 10:04 AM
Stephen from Brooklyn

The booth was completely confusing. I was not aware that I had to vote for delegates in addition to the candidate. What happens if I did not vote for delegates? Does my candidate get the delegates?

Stephen

Feb. 05 2008 10:02 AM
michelle from POLING PROBLEM, DITMAS PARK WEST

Brian,
The volunteers that check you in at our polling location were too busy socializing to give out the correct precint information.

Many people from my building including myself were told the incorrect precinct number and 5 of them were turned away.
Fortunatly, myself and another voter from my building were able to identify the problem.

Too little too late for the others that gave up and left..

Please make your listeners aware.
Thanks,
Michelle--> Brooklyn

Feb. 05 2008 09:57 AM
Gerri from Bedford-Stuyvesant

I voted this morning via paper ballot at Election District 1 in Brooklyn at 7:20 am. I was told that if you wanted to vote for Barak Obama the machines would not turn. Interesting. A lot of people were very annoyed.

Feb. 05 2008 09:35 AM
Grant from Brooklyn

I popped in to vote this morning at 7 am. No lines! Count me in for Obama. I was torn between Obama and Hillary until last night when dinner and conversation with friends gave me the little nudge I needed. Just want to make a clean break from dynastic presidencies (although it wouldn't hurt me by any means if Hillary was president!).

Feb. 05 2008 09:29 AM
David from NYC

oops! make that "hear" in my comment above

Feb. 05 2008 09:23 AM
David from NYC

I continue to be baffled by the support for Obama. He is a great orator, but I have yet to really here anything of substance from him. Feeling good becomes meaningless without real results. Sen. Clinton has produced results. Her tireless efforts on behalf of 9-11 victims, her real efforts for universal healthcare, and her articulated understanding of foreign policy are just three reasons why my wife and I took our 5-month old daughter with us to the polls this morning at 6 and pulled the lever for Clinton.

Feb. 05 2008 09:22 AM
Barb ara from Staten Island

I'm leaving to vote right now- for Obama. I just missed the Kennedy election and have not been as excited by any race since. I thing it's a win-win situation whoever takes the Democratic nomination.
Barbara

Feb. 05 2008 09:05 AM
adam from Inwood

Well, we *tried* to vote this morning, having registered as Democrats just before the deadline (in order to VOTE OBAMA). But of course the lists at the polling place were not updated, meaning we cast our votes into those special provisional envelopes. Meaning that the only way our voices were heard in this primary was on Sunday, shouting out the windows to cheer on the Latinos for Obama motorcade....

Feb. 05 2008 09:04 AM
Jim from New York

I voted for the future -- Hillary.

Experience matters, and a more nuanced and considered decision - from healthcare to immigration -- she knows all the details and makes decisions based on facts and research! She has plans and can get it done.

Feb. 05 2008 08:58 AM
Patricia Watwood from Brooklyn

I voted for my two daughters, for my five sisters, for my mother --

Hillary!

Feb. 05 2008 08:30 AM
Ella from NJ

When I voted this morning at six A.M., the first person to go in the booth knocked out the machine. The election worker said she pressed the "yellow button" (how did she even find it?!) and shut down the machine. We all had to wait while the officials were called and the machine was rebooted. All was well in about 10 minutes.

Feb. 05 2008 07:44 AM