Oscar Nominated Documentaries: 'Searching for Sugar Man'

Friday, February 08, 2013

Each year, The Brian Lehrer Show invites the directors of the five Oscar nominated feature documentaries on the show for an interview. Today's documentary is "Searching for Sugar Man" with director Malik Bendjelloul

Malik Bendjelloul
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Louis Sena from Jersey Shore

This doesn't make sense.No Royalties? What Label was it own? Crazy

Feb. 08 2013 01:35 PM
clive betters

"cease-toe".... not,"six toe" MR. BL

Feb. 08 2013 01:24 PM
clive betters

@hjs11211 why not suppressed by the corps? it's a viable theory. does everything have to either be an out and out conspiracy, or non-existant on the other extreme? some things can manifest out of an active indifference,that's understated yet conscious to varying degrees. why the silly zero-sum,either or,for everything in life? that's dumb.

Feb. 08 2013 01:00 PM
Susan from the Village

As an IFP (Independent Film Project) member, I went to a free showing of this movie last spring. I knew nothing about Rodriquez when I went in the door -- and I left amazed. I though Malik Bendjelloul did a wonderful job, and I'm glad the film is nominated.

Two big questions: As thatgirl asked, what's the story with the missing royalties? And, it's personal but you wonder, who is/are the mother/s of Rodriguez' children?

Feb. 08 2013 12:59 PM

Suppressed by the corps?

Feb. 08 2013 12:04 PM
Ziya Danishmend from Dobbs Ferry, NY

When this movie came out I went and downloaded the album and was totally and completely blown away. Incredible lyrics and such a 60s feel that it was hard to believe that he lived in obscurity in Detroit for so many years. He could have been as widely known as Dylan - but such is the hand of fate. And so glad that his story is indeed a Cinderella story and he has been rediscovered and is on a world tour. Awesome!

Feb. 08 2013 11:42 AM
Gary from Upper Left Side

I heard about Rodriguez on an 2012 NPR show promoting the movie. I'm a musician and was looking forward to the film. It was very disappointing. Just a low-budget bio-pic. I left 2/3 into the film. A better director could have crafted a more interesting documentary. However, listen to Rodriguez's album "Cold Fact". It's very Dylan-esque. And go see "Beware of Mr. Baker". A much better documentary on a musician--Cream's Ginger Baker.

Feb. 08 2013 11:40 AM
Bryan Kravitz from Philadelphia, PA

I was working in community organizing in Santa Cruz CA and someone in the organization played Rodriguez as much as she could. I have the whole album stuck 30 years later. Very radical. He really was a sign of the times. Glad he is getting his just dessert.

Feb. 08 2013 11:39 AM
Molly from Brooklyn

I first heard Rodriguez about 10 years ago. It was love at first listen. Being from Michigan, I was floored to learn that he still resides in Detroit. The story brought me to tears and says so much about the music industry. Not much has changed!!!

Feb. 08 2013 11:38 AM

Wow...music's best kept secret. Interesting story.

Feb. 08 2013 11:36 AM
Greg from Manhattan

He was also briefly huge and ubiquitous in Australia in the 70s. Someone should be held to account for the lack of royalties.

Feb. 08 2013 11:34 AM
Phema from NYC

Tell your audience that his music was banned by the SABC (BBC of South Africa). It was completely underground.

Feb. 08 2013 11:29 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

This was a beautiful film and story. However, there was no clear conclusion as to what happened to the artist royalties for the 500K+ albums sold in South Africa. Does the director believe that labels/distributors in the U.S. and South Africa kept those royalties, or that the artist was in receipt of them, and simply gave them away, as he did his later concert earnings? Is Rodriguez in receipt of a percentage of the soundtrack sales? Have the publishing rights to the music reverted back to the artist yet--or were they his alone all along?

Feb. 08 2013 11:07 AM