Fashion Month: New York's Fashion Industry

Thursday, February 07, 2013

New York Fashion Week (Michael Hurt/flickr)

As Fashion Week gets underway, Hazel Clarka professor in the MA Fashion Studies Program and research chair of Fashion at Parsons The New School for Design and the co-author of The Fabric of Cultures: Fashion, Identity, and Globalization  (Routledge, 2008) kicks off the February series on New York's place in the global fashion picture.

Tell us the story of the most recent article of clothing you've purchased --

splurge or too-cheap-to-pass-up; a minute or a year ago; from a department store, boutique, or thrift store; online or in person; and why.  Call us at 212-433-WNYC, 212-433-9692, or post your story here.  Or tweet a picture:

Hazel Clark

Amaka okeh from Nigeria

I luv it

Feb. 09 2013 05:57 AM
Amaka okeh from Nigeria

I luv it

Feb. 09 2013 05:52 AM
Pam

My latest fashion acquisition was actually from my own closet! I've had a dress for many years that I grew tired of. I hemmed it and it is now a very attractive and fashionable tunic top. I'd much rather recycle and update my own clothing than go shopping. It saves time, money and is environmentally friendly.

Feb. 07 2013 12:05 PM
Bob from Pelham NY

Next big fundraising drive giveaway - WNYC baseball hat with ear flaps!

Feb. 07 2013 10:59 AM
john from office

WOW, we went from Drones, life and death questions, Africa at war and now meaningless fashion, that no one really wears.?? Maybe we are decadent.

Feb. 07 2013 10:58 AM
bernie from bklyn

i want to let you all know that i bought gloves from a guy on 14th st. yesterday. they're black. each glove has a space for 5 fingers, which i possess. i bought a hat too. it's black w/ grey lines and i put it on my head when it's cold. i bought both for $10. what do you all think about my latest clothing purchase? riveting radio, huh?

Feb. 07 2013 10:57 AM
Karen from Park Slope

My partner gave me a stylist session for Christmas. With help of my wonderful personal closet purger and shopper, I was able to replace 90% of my wardrobe (which we lovingly threw out - some items were 20 years old), with 6 or so wonderful pieces from Anthropologie. It took took my stylist singing the theme song from "The Brady Bunch" to point out that we needed to update my acutal retro look into a current retro look! My two favorite pieces are the skinny jeans I never thought I could actually wear and a wonderful red and black blazer - that just seems to go with everything.

Feb. 07 2013 10:55 AM
Susan from Manhattan

GET FASHION WEEK OUT OF LINCOLN CENTER!!!!! THEY HAVE RUINED DAMROSCH PARK AND THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR ALL OF THE RESIDENTS IN THE AREA!!!! (Go to the piers, jacob javits, etc., etc.)

Feb. 07 2013 10:55 AM
Jane from South Slope

I'm part of a group of Brooklyn public school moms who haunt the various Brooklyn Salvation Army shops to find amazing fashion treasures, sometimes for as little as 99 cents. I can't reveal which locations, or our secret will be out! We look fabulous.

Feb. 07 2013 10:54 AM
Jf from Ny

The fashion industry is c.exclusive guilds.ontrolled by a monopoly like the art industry

Feb. 07 2013 10:50 AM
Sam from Astoria

I think a lot of people would tell you the last piece of clothing they bought was their Nets hat or jersey. Sports apparel is a funny way of declaring your individual style while also joining a hive of thousands of people wearing the exact same thing!

Feb. 07 2013 10:49 AM