The View From the Ethnic Press: Russians

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

How do New York's immigrant communities view the presidential election? Ari Kagan, Senior Editor of the Russian language weekly Vecherny New York, gives his perspective on the issues.

Ari Kagan
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

iFaqeer from Silicon Valley, California

You don't cross-link segments? If I wanted to hear all the segments in the "View from the Ethnic Press" series, what do I do?

Jan. 15 2008 09:45 PM
smedley

Bedreeya -- "Jewish Community?" That's about as genuine as the "Business Community" -- or the "Bedreeya Community."

I give as much credibility to the Russian guest's' opinion as I do your own -- but no more.

In reality it appears that Brian (as Jewish and Eastern European as thousands of other Floridians/NYorkers, BTW) is feelin the love for Obama and is exploring this sentiment by exercising it via these segments.

Good practice for everyone I'd say.

Jan. 15 2008 06:38 PM
Dmitry from New Jersey

For the record, I am a "Russian Jew" from Ukraine and I am supporting John McCain. My second choice is Rudy. However, if I were a democrat I would have preferred Obama over Clinton and Edwards. My parents are democrats and will probably vote for Obama, although a NY Senator should win NY anyway.

Jan. 15 2008 11:48 AM
alistair from london

russians in general are not the most progressive lot on race relations. african, asian and middle eastern people are attacked by roving bands slapheads in the capital 6 to 7 times of week.

Jan. 15 2008 11:44 AM
Bedreeya from New Jersey

It's no suprise that the Jewish community loves Guiliani as he has always been very outward about his love & support for that community. The fact that he is in Florida most of the time (where there is a very large Jewish community) demonstrates that he believes that he will get the nomination based on that community. Or perhaps he doesn't expect thta nomination but has something else in mind. Time will tell.
I agree that Russian guest's remarks of how that community feels is very biased, but that his not suprising.

Jan. 15 2008 11:44 AM
sarah from Williamsburg

Why would it be a problem if Obama did have any ties to the Muslim faith? Logically thinking, it would be a GREAT advantage if he understood what powers the middle east. How do we expect do negotiate with Muslim countries is we don't even begin to know what their morals are really all about.

Ps...what's so scary about being Muslim? Every religion has it's extremist. In most other countries people would be scared of Christian Fundamentalists.

Jan. 15 2008 11:43 AM
Rory from Manhattan

Dear Brian,

What is up with your guests bashing Barack Obama, one after the other?

First of all, Shelby Steele says "we don't know Barack Obama." This is either disingenuous or intellectually lazy, unless detailed policy proposals and a 480-page memoir chronicling the successes and failures of a thirtysomething's life are somehow a concealment of who its author is. We "don't yet quite know" Barack Obama? What more do we need to see of this guy to get to know him? His chest x-rays?

Secondly, you might want to tell Mr. Kagan about Obama's trip to Donetsk, Ukraine and his leadership on securing nuclear materials and on issues related to nuclear proliferation with Senator Richard Lugar.

I am tired with this willful ignorance about Obama's candidacy.

Jan. 15 2008 11:43 AM
slowereastside from manhattan

Brian, what's going on man?

Seriously: after hosting the anti-Obama black pseudo-intellectual, you're going to follow it up with a Russian-Jew who has 'questions' about Obama's Indonesian CHILDHOOD?!?!?

C'mon...why not just say you're behind Hillary and allow us to continue to respect (and really enjoy) your show while leaving the politics elsewhere.

Jan. 15 2008 11:41 AM
RCTNYC from New York City

My middle name is Mary, but I am not the blessed virgin. Nor was that my parents' intention in so naming me. Conversely, the IRA was a terrorist organization, but no one is gazing with suspicion at Cardinal Egan.

Jan. 15 2008 11:39 AM