Mike Daisey's 'Faster Better Social...'

Friday, February 08, 2013

Mike Daisey talks about his latest theater work “Faster Better Social Click Like Touch Tweet Yes Yes!!1! (or, Our Slavery is Rich and Full),” which explores how new technologies and smartphones have transformed how we see and interact with the world around us. Daisey also addresses the controversy surrounding his This American Life piece on Foxconn factories in China. Mike Daisey is performing “Faster Better Social” at Joe’s Pub at the Public February 11 and 26 at 9:30 pm.

Mike Daisey

I tried to find the "YouTube" videos of Daisey performing the "Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs" - I couldn't. Can you?

Feb. 10 2013 10:56 AM
j276

Add me to the list that considers Daisy's appearance on the show a travesty, at least when the interviewer treats him with undeserved respect.

The fact that it is unavoidable to bring opinion and perspective to "stories" does not alter the fact that objectivity is the goal, not outright fabrication to suit one's purposes. I listened to the apology segment on TAL with disgust as Daisy rationalized his dishonesty.

Why would anyone ever allow him a non-fiction platform? Oh yes....There is no such thing according to Daisy. Perhaps listeners should bear that in mind when listening to anything he writes or says.

The man is a liar.

Feb. 10 2013 03:10 AM
Leslie Tucker from East Village, Manhattan

I thoroughly enjoyed Daisey's first Apple monologue. However, I think his mission was to expose Apple's infuriating ways vs. exercising journalistic rigor. However, besides FoxConn's HR problems, Daisey also talked about Apple's many many many updates which I think could have been a much needed head's up for Apple Corporate. I mean, do we really need an iPad Mini? or an iPhone 5 ?? Is Apple relying too much on line extensions vs. innovation? Mike Daisey could be the best thing that ever happened to Apple, if they're listening of course.

Feb. 09 2013 09:00 AM
Jennifer

This man is an amazing performer/storyteller and I admire him despite the "factual errors" in his piece "The Agony and Ecstasy..." That was one of the best one-man shows I've seen in New York in ages! Thank you, Mike Daisy, for being so incredible.

Feb. 08 2013 04:16 PM
S. Donahue from Brooklyn

I had coffee with Steve Jobs some time in the 90's. My friend Christine & I saw him steal a dollar from the tip jar on the counter.

I had coffee with Steve Jobs sometimes in the 90's. My friend Christine & I got the sense when we were looking the other way, he stole a dollar from the tip jar.

There really a difference between the two.

Feb. 08 2013 02:07 PM
Morgen from NYC

Leonard,

I was really surprised to hear Daisey come on your show. Regardless of whether his FoxConn story was a work of journalism or fictional theater, this man lied to the staff of This American Life and intentionally interfered with their fact-checking procedures.

Some things in journalism are sacrosant. Why invite someone who has disrespected these principles? There are so many other people out there to talk to...

Feb. 08 2013 01:15 PM

What I wrote about your station's monetary interests in booking guests did not mention your personal integrity at all. (Do I resist the observation that it is usually as noticeable factor in your confabulations as in Mr. Daisy's monologues?) It's there for all to see. They will judge for themselves.
And maybe, perhaps, wonder: What is your station's/show's policy on accepting financial contributions from "guests". (When music was the main product showcased on the radio, they used to call it "payolla".)

Feb. 08 2013 01:09 PM
Henry from Manhattan

I read Ayn Rand’s The Fountain Head. I enjoyed it in a pulp fiction sort of way, like reading a comic book; I enjoyed the architecture angle of the plot. But while I’m hardly an expert literary critic, it’s fairly obvious that it can’t be considered good literature.

If Atlas Shrugged is anything like it, I can’t understand how people turn Rand’s writings into a political religion of absolute Truth.

From what I've read on objectivism (summary articles), that's junk too.

Feb. 08 2013 01:05 PM

I'm disappointed in Leonard Lopate (I've already gotten over being incredibly disappointed in Mike Daisey; that's old news.)

This powderpuff interview didn't ask any of the questions it should have. No, we are not all corrupt. Yes, journalists should be held to a higher standard of truth, which means, at the most basic level, not deliberately lying, and on higher principle, exposing one's own biases to allow the audience to judge for itself.

Daisey harmed his (good) cause by his chicanery; it allowed people to ignore his message. Leonard Lopate, you undermined not only that cause but the whole institution of journalism by not calling him out on his dishonesty.

HUGE fail.

Feb. 08 2013 01:04 PM
Simon from Manhattan

Regarding the brief mention of Ayn Rand: Why does Lopate have to be so condescending towards Ms. Rand? He only shows his small mindedness with his dismissive quips and attitude (especially in light of his guest stating how important Rand is.) Grow up, Leonard.

Feb. 08 2013 01:02 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Anyone who thinks Rand is deserving of being considered "important" is a dumb crank.

Feb. 08 2013 01:01 PM
John A

Glad to hear all's well, Mike.
Just never become a politician...

Feb. 08 2013 01:00 PM
Sue

I heard the original Steve Jobs on the Ira Glass show. When I found out that it was not jounalism but dramatic license I lost all respect for the man and his "act".

Feb. 08 2013 12:58 PM

It's absolutely preposterous to think that such a well publicized show, well executed show would be this "improvised organic experience." Of course he works from a script.

Daisey Inc. is a business and his utter disengenuousness about the way he deceived his audience is clear, as is your bias Mr. Lopate.

Feb. 08 2013 12:55 PM
Henry from Manhattan

Regarding the storm, It's called Winter Storm Nemo.

Apparently, It's the first snow storm to receive a name.

Feb. 08 2013 12:47 PM
John A

Ira Glass had one hell of an overreaction, that's what I observed.
Be proud that you caused social change, Mike, at 'This American Life', even.

Feb. 08 2013 12:47 PM
john from office

If he had done the "Steve Jobs" stage play as a work of fiction it would been fine. The work was good.

Feb. 08 2013 12:28 PM

Admittedly, I'm a little obsessed over this Daisey thing.

I'm wondering what his appearance on Mr. Lopate's show portends for next week's guest schedule. Are we going to hear from some salesperson of mortgage backed bonds, well compensated from the government's TARP monies, who seeks to be rehabilitated as he launches a new investment vehicle? Does this show or WNYC have a policy about airing interviews with persons who have made financial contributions or donations to WNYC or public radio? Is Joe’s Pub somehow arranging this "puff" piece as a way of ginning up the gate for for Daisey's upcoming prevarication? "Semper sic ad imposturis."

Feb. 08 2013 09:57 AM

I thought other listeners might like have some truthful (what a strange concept) information about Daisey's fraud. This is, I believe, damming:

Feb. 08 2013 09:35 AM

How does Daisey explain the way he exposed his Chinese translator to jeopardy by leaving her in China, while using her real name in his personally lucrative, albeit bogus, theatrical "performance", which purported to describe the acts of fraud he committed, with her assistance, against a powerful institution of the Chinese economy. Did he get her permission to use her real name? Did he initially promise her anonymity in China, but later, when he himself was ensconced in the relative safety of the United States, decide that the "artistic narrative" require that he reveal her true identity? (N.B. I saw early copies of a notice that advised that some of the "names" in Daisey's prevarication might be change.) Did she share any of the proceeds of from the "show"? Since escaping the jurisdiction of Chinese law has he returned to China to follow-up on his "stories"? Has he contacted the Chinese translator? BTW: How much did the show actually earn? "Semper sic ad imposturis", eh?

Feb. 08 2013 09:10 AM