Are You the One? The Independent Voter

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Mark Halperin, editor-at-large and senior political analyst for Time Magazine and the author of The Way to Win: Taking the White House in 2008 (Random House, 2006), discusses the role the independent voter will play in the New Hampshire primary and the 2008 election in general.

Mark Halperin
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Lara Kay from nyc

I agree with the sentiment expressed about Mr. Halperin being a "hack". Mark Halperin is part of the problem with today’s political discourse. I look to Brian’s show for alternative, thoughtful, and oblique takes on today‘s issues. Don't people like Halperin already take up enough media space. It is a disturbing trend which has already made NPR’s political news programming at times so disappointing (ie., Cokie Roberts, Juan Williams, Maira Liasson). It’s similar to the NYT giving valuable op-ed space to Bill Kristol—it's disheartening.

Jan. 08 2008 01:30 PM
roberto from nyc

Yeah Yeah #11, what the hell are you doing in Brooklyn, if you so dislike this place go back to whatever 'enlightened' dump you came from! As for a liberal who stands for principle, berate HC for her pro war vote, but we will ignore BO's vote for the Patriot act...very principled!!

Jan. 08 2008 11:29 AM
P from Brooklyn

Halperin is a hack who has been wrong about basic trends time and again. I don't know why you bother talking to him.

Jan. 08 2008 11:14 AM
roberto from nyc

Re #9 refer to#5...thats where "change" got you, 8 defeats in forty years, every one of those poseurs were for "change", every one got their arse kicked. Obama and/or Edwards will lead the party to a miserable defeat..Republican rats are loving this!

Jan. 08 2008 11:05 AM
Hugh from Brooklyn

The myth that Americans live better.

As was recently pointed out by an essayist in the New York Times (perhaps Tony Judt, can't remember), it is simply FALSE to claim that Americans have the best standard of living in the world.

Europeans live longer, have more accessible health care (and just as good), are better educated and more literate, have better prospects post-retirement, better care in early years, more vacation time, more job safety, etc. etc. etc.

Americans need to get over their delusions regarding free markets and the "American Success Story". It's hokum.

Then, perhaps, they can rationally vote for a liberal who makes some effort to stand by principle -- like Obama.

Jan. 08 2008 10:44 AM
J.C. from Minneapolis

Re: Partial-response to Comment 1

Most of the importance of Iowa and N.H. comes from the hype of being first (my personal opinion).

Both states have relatively small numbers of delegates to the national conventions. On the Democratic side, Iowa has 56 delegates and N.H. has 30. California, by means of comparison, has 441. N.Y. has 280. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these delegates are usually distributed somewhat proportionally to the election results. A handful of delegate slots--at least for the Democrats--are reserved for Democratic officeholders.

Also, I think this show might have pointed this out, but Iowa's caucuses were to elect delegates to the Iowa state convention. It's unclear to me if those delegates have to elect national delegates in the same proportion as the results of the Iowa caucuses (i.e. if Obama got 38%, must he get 38% of Iowa's national delegates? I don't know).

I couldn't find delegate counts for the Republican convention in my cursory internet research.

Jan. 08 2008 10:44 AM
hjs from 11211

edwards is for real change!

Jan. 08 2008 10:42 AM
Doug from New Hampshire

I'm an Independent!
When I go to the poll after work I will either be voting for Ron Paul or John Edwards. I'll know for sure when I arrive.

Jan. 08 2008 10:40 AM
Robert from NYC

See all the other comments here? That's why we get the people we get in office. Americans haven't got a clue and seem to be self-destructive to me. You got W because you voted for him!! Duh! LOL as I cry.

Jan. 08 2008 10:36 AM
Steve from Brooklyn

I'm turned off by Edwards' accent.

Jan. 08 2008 10:26 AM
roberto from nyc

Democrats, call Dr Kevorkian!"change" = left of Democratic party = massive defeat, ghosts of Humphrey, Mcgovern,Carter 2,Mondale, Dukakis, Gore,, Kerry, all losers big time, only exception , Bill,[centerist] best 8 years since WW11. Nominate Obama/Edwards and you will go on to defeat in an election which you should win in a landslide!!

Jan. 08 2008 10:26 AM
Waldo from Manhattan

So Obama's more likable than Hillary? Wow! We got GWB because more people wanted to have a beer with him than wanted to have a beer with Kerry. Now we're going to get Obama because he's such a nice guy. Bah, humbug.

Jan. 08 2008 10:26 AM
slowereastside from manhattan

Do we know how long the woman who asked Hilary the question (in the clip) has been working for the campaign yet? ;-)

In all seriousness, why doesn't anyone simply ask Hilary how she came up with the number 35 -as in, '35 years of experience'? Or are the Dems supposed to wait until the Republicans ask the question?

Jan. 08 2008 10:22 AM
jamesH. from NJ

Bloomberg is now (thankfully) irrelevant, since Obama and McCain have the independent vote covered.

Jan. 08 2008 09:31 AM
rohan lewis from Manhattan

Could it be explained on the show the difference between the Caucus(Iowa) and the Primary(New Hampshire). Which is more important and why? I know the difference in the implementation of the vote, secret voting vs. caucusing, but what is the political difference?

Jan. 08 2008 08:36 AM