Open Phones: Honk If You...

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

With the DOT planning to remove those "DON'T HONK" signs by the end of the year, we're asking, "Why do you honk?" and does it help? Call us (but not while driving!) at 212-433-WNYC, 212-433-9692 -- or you can leave a comment below.

emma from NYC

I wanted to call in soooo bad but I was at work.
I live at an intersection and my bedroom is right at the corner. All night, all day, cars honk the very second the light turns green. On top of that, every morning at 9 am, a facility across the street loads it's residents, VERY slowly, onto school buses, blocking the street and so cars lined up along my bedroom lean on their horns. This goes on for 20 minutes, for 2 buses! I have called DOT, 311, you name it but no relief. Oh and of course all the cars that have music blasting and the dirt bikes! I have to wear earplugs to bed. Problem is, this all scares the crap out of my cats and they refuse to wear earplugs. I have been requesting No Honking signs for years. Now I know why we haven't gotten them. I LOVE the idea of the car horns being as loud inside the cars. That would be great. Better than my idea of a paint pellet gun where I blast loud cars with lime green paint!

Jan. 29 2013 04:22 PM
ddartley from Manhattan--live AND work among the noisemaking cretins

Honking is one of the MOST selfish and inconsiderate things a person can do in NYC. Horn honkers should go, uh, "fly a kite," let's call it. Off a short pier. And into a live volcano.

Jan. 29 2013 03:55 PM
Connie from nj

Those really loud air horns that some trucks have should be illegal. If they honk when I'm close, I can feel the damage to my inner ear. Painful, and probably permanent.

Jan. 29 2013 01:43 PM
Romanie Baines from Manhattan. NYC.

I live in an apt building with 93 residential apartments, it's located on Second Avenue just two blocks north of the 59th Street bridge. Unnecessary honking really negatively impacts the quality of our lives here, and in all the many nearby buildings. It may temporarily relieve the frustration of the driver caught up in slow moving traffic, but in so doing it causes loss of sleep and other miseries for those of us having to listen to it.

Jan. 29 2013 12:14 PM
Ro Howe from Manhattan

Just returned from a week's stay in London, UK. In the whole time I was there, in and around Central London, I only heard a horn honk TWICE! Oh well - back to honk-central NYC!! Ugh!!!

Jan. 29 2013 12:04 PM
Bo

I've always wished that there was a kind of governor on the horn that allowed a limited number of honks and once you reached that number you lost your transmission or something...sort of having "skin in the game"...each honk should be an investment and it should be considered in the light of the cost.

Jan. 29 2013 12:00 PM
clive betters

yes,"animals" overreact to honking all the time..."repubs nicer than dems, around honking etiquette??" GMAB caller..

Jan. 29 2013 11:59 AM
fuva from harlemworld

But, in the south, they don't signal. Ever.

Jan. 29 2013 11:58 AM
AG

To the caller - there are plenty of honkers now in the south... not as much as NY - but they are there. This is not the 1970's that he thought of. Everywhere is busier now - so there will be more honking (unfortunately). NY is the busiest place in the country - hence the most honking.

Jan. 29 2013 11:58 AM
Allen Bank from Brooklyn > of course

I "gently" honk to wake people up while they're texting (both waiting at a tuned "green light" or pedestrians who think they're alone in the world...

In Broklyn we honk to "bravo" an excellent street stick-ball hit > a 2 sewer shot.

I agree, that the signs don't do much; if anything > but what is the price tag of removing the signs > money better spent elsewhere.

Jan. 29 2013 11:58 AM
Alan from Manhattan

I was once in a taxi that was stuck in traffic. The driver, honking practically non-stop, said, "I can't believe I'm the only car that's honking!"

Jan. 29 2013 11:55 AM
Bob from Pelham, NY

Someone has to say it - Define "a New York minute": the nanosecond between when the light turns red and the person behind you honks.

Jan. 29 2013 11:54 AM
Luke from Fort Greene

It may not be the popular thing to admit, but honking is just part of driving in New York City.

It herds hesitant drivers and stalled pedestrians and keeps the flow moving. Part of the restless vitality of the
city and one of the surviving remnants of an edgier era.
We're an aggressive, adrenaline fueled place and car horns are part of the landscape.

Get rid of the horns and try getting across town.

Jan. 29 2013 11:54 AM
clive betters

today people don't honk as much,because we've got psychos today that can't tolerate being honked at. i've noticed people are waiting longer than they used to, to honk at traffic stops.

Jan. 29 2013 11:53 AM
John from Jersey City

If NYC is taking down those anti-honk signs, I hope they consider giving them to Jersey City, where drivers consistently abuse their horns much to the chagrin of its residents!

Jan. 29 2013 11:53 AM

IDIOTS on devices. Driving, walking or riding!!!!

Jan. 29 2013 11:53 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I honk when pedestrians are busy texting and start to walk in front of my car against the light.

If the City wants to clean up the sidewalks, tell them to get all the bicyclists off them!

Jan. 29 2013 11:52 AM
Grant from New York City

Honking rules should be inforced. Why take down signs that are already there and may help remind people? There is too much noise in the city, sirens are much louder than they need to be. Noise pollution is a serious stressor.

Jan. 29 2013 11:52 AM
DickeyFuller from DC

I honk because people are fooling around with their smart phones, reading and sending text messages, and NOT driving when the light changes!

Jan. 29 2013 11:50 AM
Christine from Westchester

Seems that Carolita needs a new apartment where there is less honking and stairbob should not be allowed to drive.

Jan. 29 2013 11:49 AM
The Truth from Becky

To wake up the procrastinator in front of me!!!

LOL& ^5 @ stairbob

Jan. 29 2013 11:49 AM
Chris from New York

With regard to Stairbob's comment, I rest my case.
When the NYPD and FDNY have enough trouble moving traffic out of the way, what effect does all that honking have ? Surely only to deafen the people around the honker. Isn't this why the law against use of the horn in certain areas was passed, and the signs posted in the first place ?

Jan. 29 2013 11:39 AM
stairbob from New York City

I'm a driver. I honk pretty much non-stop. I honk whenever I have to touch the brake pedal. I also often honk instead of using the brake pedal. I honk a lot when I'm angry. I'm angry a lot because cars take up so much damn space and they are always in my way. I honk when someone's in my way, and when I think someone might be in my way in the future. EVERYONE GET OUT OF MY DAMN WAY DON'T YOU SEE I'M TRYING TO DRIVE HERE? HOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan. 29 2013 11:33 AM
Chris

The eal question is why these laws are not being enforced. Money was already spent on posting these signs. It was for a reason. Why are the laws not being enforced ?
I live near the entrance / exit of the Lincoln tunnel and honking is constant at congested times. There is always a Cop stationed at this junction to direct traffic. Why have I never seen one issue a ticket for use of horns merely to express frustation ?

Jan. 29 2013 11:20 AM
Al from Marine Park from Brooklyn

The question should not be, "Why do you honk? Rather, Why is the city spending money on this project when funds are scarce, and whose brother-in-law got the contract?

Jan. 29 2013 11:06 AM
carolita from NYC

I am SO upset about this. Where I live there is constant honking. People honk as soon as the light changes during rush hour, for no reason at all, just to express their impatience that a car can't roll before the light changes, I guess. It's completely useless and aggressive behavior. And all spring and summer long living in our apartment is like being bleeped all day and night. This is us: "Pass the [BEEEEEEP]. What's for [HOOOOOONK]? Have you seen the [BEEEEEEEEP!]"
We can barely watch the news for all the honking and we constantly miss key bits of dialogue in movies we're trying to watch.
When we first moved in I would count the honks and multiply them by the fines that would have been imposed if anyone had bothered to enforce the "NO HONKING" signs, and I can tell you, it was thousands and thousands of dollars every morning rush hour and every night. Weekends would be a bonanza for this city, in terms of money they could have taken in as fines. You could finance a lot of infrastructure improvements just with the fines the city could collect on my block in a few years.

Pathetic! Now it'll be worse than ever.

Jan. 29 2013 10:31 AM