Name Your Price

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Andrew Beveridge, chair at the sociology department at Queens College joins Robert Frank, Wall Street Journal columnist and the author of Richistan: A Journey Through the American Wealth Boom and the Lives of the New Rich, to talk about Frank's recent column about how many Americans are willing to marry for money . . .for the right price.

Robert Frank and Andrew Beveridge

Ivan Berger from Fanwood NJ

There are also wealth-driven shackups. These are common among seniors for whom Social Security income is important, as two separate people can draw more than a married couple can.

Dec. 18 2007 02:27 PM
elizabeth from monmouth county nj

I married a penniless but very talented jazz musician 11 years my senior first time around, and for about 15 of our 17 years together, we were very happy; but as I made more and more money and he stayed where he was, financially and emotionally, the relationship failed. During 6 years of singledom in the city, I dated many rich men, 2 of whom proposed to me, but the truth was I didn’t love them, and though ALL my friends and relations exhorted me to marry for money (since I’d already had love) I just couldn’t bring myself to settle for a big ring, a big house, a big car, etc. Then I met a man one day while eating lunch in City Hall Park who was divorced, seriously in debt and without a doubt my soul mate. We got married, had kids and you know what? I’ve got a big ring, a big house, a big car, no debt, lotsa money and most of all a very happy heart and home. The Beatles had it right: money can’t buy you love, and if you don’t love your mate, what good is all the money???

Dec. 18 2007 11:00 AM
Jane from NJ

I did it and money was not worth it. You become just another object.

Dec. 18 2007 10:58 AM
IC from NY/Montreal

I had opportunities to marry for money, but I chose to be with someone for love. We have a sonderful son, but the realtionship and family went bad....ending in financial ruins and continual difficulty. Still I have no regret living a very meaningful & full albeit difficult life raising a wonderful boy who I feel will go on to doing good for others. Money would be a comfort and solving lots of matters, but it can disappear and expedite loss to the meaning to life.

Dec. 18 2007 10:56 AM
Marianna Azar from Toronto, ON

To tag on to the comment regarding marrying for health care...

I've recently began contemplating marrying my current Canadian boyfriend for the sake of obtaining all the wonderful benefits (including health care) Canada provides for its citizens.

Dec. 18 2007 10:56 AM
Sue from North Salem, NY

Marry for love, but keep the real estate in your name.

Dec. 18 2007 10:56 AM
Jake from Barrytown

This is insane! Once you've had true love you'd never consider marrying for money! You and your love can always make enough to nourish what's really important in life - your bond.

(written by a 23 year old).

Dec. 18 2007 10:54 AM
Caroline from Garrison NY

I would rather share a cardboard box with my husband than a mansion on the hill with most of the rich guys around here.

Dec. 18 2007 10:53 AM
Rachael from New York

Yes! And I'm not ashamed. Love is a cultural construction. Couples fight over money more than anything else. Doesn't money factor into the realistic expectation of a happy marriage?

Dec. 18 2007 10:52 AM
CH from NYC

2 questions about the report:

1) Is there a difference between those who would marry for money the first time and those who are thinking about subsequent marriages (whether widowed or divorced)?

and 2) How many of the subjects were already married?

Dec. 18 2007 10:52 AM
chestine from NY

hasn't anybody here ever read Jane Austen?

wouldn't a prospective mother want someone who could support children as opposed to an iffy person who would not contribute enough? is this "marrying money" per se?

Dec. 18 2007 10:51 AM
Jenna from Brooklyn

I think there's a big difference between saying you'll marry for money, and actually doing it! These people surveyed may say they would do something in theory, but when confronted with the reality of that choice, might make a different decision...

Dec. 18 2007 10:51 AM
Anna from New York

I'm not sure I would love only for money - but I can honestly admit that it has factored into decisions where I had to choose between two boyfriends.

But lets be real - its not money - it's security, its the home you've ever dreamed of, its the ability to send your kids to school.

Dec. 18 2007 10:51 AM
Anne

How ironic this is coming up on your show! I make great money (well over $100K/year). But I don't have a lot saved because I'm from a blue collar family. I paid my way through college, etc.

Now I'm marrying the love of my life. He happens to have a couple million dollars (which I didn't know when I fell in love with him). And his mother is making my life hell! She is certain I'm just marrying him for his trust. And I think the whole concept is just disgusting.

Dec. 18 2007 10:50 AM
Miss or Ms

1.99 per minute.

Dec. 18 2007 10:50 AM
Hope Killcoyne from Greenwich Village

I recently read this pungent warning in a book of aphorisms:

If you marry for money, you will earn every penny.

Dec. 18 2007 10:49 AM
Robert from NYC

Huh! I wouldn't even buy a LOTTO ticket now if the prize under $10 million. As for my price for marriage? I'd rather die than get married, that's how much.

Dec. 18 2007 10:49 AM