Green Lining on a Silver Tree

Monday, December 17, 2007

Simran Sethi, Professional-in-Residence at the University of Kansas School of Journalism, host of The Green on the Sundance Channel, and environmental reporter for NBC News, answers the question: how green is your Christmas tree?

Simran Sethi
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

CK from NYC

You really need to plan in advance if you are going to plant a tree outside. I am a horticulturist and completely advocate the idea of getting a balled and burlapped tree or a potted one but I very strongly advise against keeping them indoors. Even if you know what you are doing, it is going to be next to impossible to keep a tree inside until the ground thaws. Plus, if you have it inside and then put it outside after xmas, it will have acclimated to the warm temps indoors and will be likely to go into shock when it goes outside. A live tree should just be used outside to save yourself a lot of problems.

Dec. 17 2007 11:02 AM
Andrea from NYC

Give me a (*&(*&_(*& break! I get a real tree every year, happy knowing the farmers who grow the trees have a living and I have a nice Christmas.

Dec. 17 2007 10:59 AM
Paulo from Paterson, New Jersey

mark, that's a GREAT idea... I'd never given that a thought. Perhaps something for next year.

Dec. 17 2007 10:57 AM
CH from NYC

Don't forget about buying "balled" trees to be planted after the holidays. It can be done, but be sure to get the re-planting tips.

Also, cut trees after the holidays make good "clean fill" for land fill use and there may still be groups that offer to take the tree for off-shore reef building.

Dec. 17 2007 10:56 AM
Paulo from Paterson, New Jersey

I volunteered last year to help pick up old christmas trees for proper disposal. It was definitely a good work out and a good bit of fun too.

I debated this year over a fake tree or a real tree, and I ultimately decided on a cheap fake tree mainly because I didn't really expect that we (my roommates and I) could maintain the real tree.

Dec. 17 2007 10:56 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

a show on christmas trees...wow

Dec. 17 2007 10:55 AM
mark from new york

they maybe small, but we get a sapling christmas tree each year, and plant it out in the garden in the new year.

Dec. 17 2007 10:54 AM
tom from NYC

How about buy a small, live tree then plant it somewhere when you're done 'enjoying' it. And just because you live in the city doesn't mean you can't do this. Plant it in a friend or family's suburban or country yard. Perform an act of 'e c o-terrorism' and plant it secretly in a public place...

Dec. 17 2007 10:54 AM
isaac

I got my tree from a farmer who grows his trees sustainably. I live in Maryland, where development is encroaching on land everyhwere, so supporting small holiday tree farmers is a great way to keep land from being developed.

Dec. 17 2007 10:53 AM