Do Violent Video Games Cause Violent Behavior?

Monday, January 28, 2013 - 11:00 PM

Cheryl Olson is a researcher and co-author of the book Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games And What Parents Can Do.

Olson has conducted research on violent video games and examined other studies in detail. She says no one has done the type of study needed to determine the true links between violent games and violent behavior.

"The games are changing all the time. One of the things you would like to do in research is follow people over time, what you call a longitudinal study. Because that's the only way you can really tease out cause and effect," she said. "And it's very hard to do that because of the constantly changing games."

Olson also discusses some misconceptions about violent video games and explains how eighth graders in one of her studies described "killing" people on screen.

Cheryl Olson

Hosted by:

Manoush Zomorodi

Produced by:

Daniel P. Tucker

Tags:

More in:

Your Moms Back Nipples from Your Vagina Dick

SUCK ME

Apr. 25 2014 10:23 AM
me

this was no help whatsoever

Apr. 14 2013 01:58 PM
josh from in your dad pants

thank you for the talk show you blond suck it

Apr. 10 2013 02:42 PM
jz ya from your mom

this was no help you guys are retarded suck it

Apr. 10 2013 02:38 PM
jim kim from newyork

hey im 14 and i pla video games all day my average is a 95 and i go to stuy so stfu about how children shouln't play violeent video games i play gta at least 2 hours a day and im fine ok so stop making up bullshit kids who play gta and kill pple have some mental problems from the dat they were born ok so really stfu !!!

Mar. 18 2013 06:22 PM
4 the VIOLENT games from ngg

i dont think that video game mess with the mind, i mean i rember one time me and a friend played called of duty and halo for like the whole christmas break...now i know christmas break was some tome ago but i think i would remeber feeling some type of urge to kill thousand of thousand of people because it was ok in the video game... i think only DUMB WEAK A*S MINED people do this but are the type of people that see any violent and want to do it in real life

Mar. 11 2013 01:29 PM
Me

Ok, this article is WRONG playing video games does not affect anything I play and I'm perfectly fine I don't go around SHOOTING people and screaming PREPARE YOURSELF THE ZOMBIES ARE COMING now do I? My point exactly.

Mar. 08 2013 12:35 PM
Jazzy from Los Angeles

I agree with this article. Very good :)

Mar. 06 2013 10:09 PM
jake from 86040

i....have a large...pp

Mar. 06 2013 06:14 PM
Altiar from 86040

FUCK YES VIDEO GAMES

Mar. 06 2013 06:12 PM
Aiden from N.J

Elijah, I agree with you, and I too am doing a reasearch paper, but, it is not playing video games alone that can cause violence, it is obsessive videogame playing, like playing for 12 hours straight, that will cause some mental damage!

Mar. 06 2013 04:28 PM
davie from New Jersey

Does practice on a flight simulator make better pilots ?

Mar. 06 2013 08:16 AM
Elijah

I am doing a research paper for school, and the person who wrote this book is an idiot. I have been playing video games since I was 3, and not once have I, or any of my many normal friends who play video games, ever had the urge to take the game "Grand Theft Auto" and go out and steal cars because we learned it from that game. Not once have I ever wanted to go murder thousands of innocent people or go on a killing spree because I play "Call of Duty". This is ridiculous.

Mar. 04 2013 02:24 PM
Sam

This was a very good article, thanks.

Mar. 01 2013 10:07 AM
bryor from derby public

how dose halo and killing games cause violnt couses

Feb. 26 2013 02:44 PM
MCPON John 117 from Requiem

We should not allow children to play rated M games. nuff said

Feb. 26 2013 12:08 PM
nick from middleburg ,florida

dear Dr.Cheryl Olson i'm also doing a paper for school like James did.and so I want to tell you something I play video games every day and peaple don't see shooting peaple with my toothbrush.and if you think me playing black ops2 black ops1,MW1,MW2,and MW3 will make me go on a killing spree screw you!

Feb. 21 2013 07:05 PM
sdfsa from jsfnas

me

Feb. 21 2013 04:02 PM
black guy from your house

i got a big pp

Feb. 18 2013 10:57 AM
john from oklahoma

i like turkey :)

Feb. 18 2013 10:52 AM
69'er from you mom

Feb. 11 2013 03:08 PM
Peter

Soooo Aaron... i guess you forgot to listen. Olson sites multiple studies that she conducted and each one she mentioned showed no correlation. and of course she says there needs to be more studies. that’s how she gets paid. besides you missed my point. I was commenting on journalistic integrity and I think the host fell short this time.

Feb. 07 2013 04:40 PM
bob

you suck

Feb. 05 2013 03:14 PM
Aaron

Sooooo Peter... you are an idiot... It doesn't matter that Manoush Zomorodi is biased or not... this article does not say that video games are the cause of violence. it says that there has been no studies taht have proven whether or not it is. "She says no one has done the type of study needed to determine the true links between violent games and violent behavior." read a little before you go off on a rant

Feb. 04 2013 11:52 PM
James

I am doing a research paper for school and you have to be the stupidest person I have ever heard talk about video games. First of all are you a doctor no I didn't think so anyway let the DOCTOR talk she knows what she is talking about so shut up and listen and just to let you know I don't think anyone has tried to shoot someone with their toothbrush you idiot. Secondly have you ever been hunting and shot a deer with a bow and had to rip the arrow and hear the flesh tear then have to field dress the deer right there, stab your knife right in the stomach and watch everything just fall to the ground, and you think me playing a little bit of call of duty black ops 2 and shooting people on the enemy team with weapons that don't even exist yet is going to make me a violent person.

Feb. 04 2013 11:25 AM
Alistair from Inwood

Is there any research on how children in 1st, 2nd & 3rd graders react to video game violence? I recently bought a wii and have been surprised by violence, albeit rather cartoonish, in a lot of "E for Everybody" games.

Jan. 30 2013 08:45 AM
Peter

Manoush Zomorodi should not have been involved with this article. she is obviously extremely biased. time after time the guest used scientific research to show that there is no evidence that video games cause violence. over the past 20 years almost all my friends and acquaintances have played violent video games. exactly zero of them have committed violent crimes. the few that have been violent were abused as children. Manoush’s implication that video games cause violence implicated literally millions of young men and women of being ticking time bombs about to be involved in the next aurora Colorado shooting. Frankly I am offended. after a very leading biased question the host gave a very logical and meaningful response and Manoush's mocking response was "but I don’t try to shoot someone with my toothbrushes." one could only conclude either she was not listening to the first 8 minutes of her own interview or that she was too stupid to understand. but I know neither of those are true because I have enjoyed many though provoking articles from her in the past. Manoush, I recommend playing some violent video games for a few hours and see if you feel like going on a killing spree. I bet you won’t. In the future if you are covering a topic where you have such blind conviction at least pretend that you think there are two sides to the story.

Jan. 29 2013 08:52 AM