Romney's Kennedy Moment

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Mark Halperin, editor-at-large and senior political analyst for Time Magazine and author of The Way to Win: Taking the White House in 2008 (Random House, 2006), analyzes Mitt Romney's speech on his faith.

Mark Halperin

Phyllis from New Jersey

I believe that a candidate's religion is significant only insofar as it influences his or her opinion on pulbic issues. For example, if a candidate's religious beliefs leads them to take a stand against abortion choice, as a pro-choice advocate, I reserve the right not to vote for him. In this case that vote would not be based on the candidate's religion but on a fundamental disagreement on a public issue.

In that context, understanding a candidate's religion may provide some insight into the direction he or she may take on certain issues.

Dec. 06 2007 01:17 PM
Mark Victor from Queens

With the Republicans, it's All About Religion -- Giuliani's self-centered version of Catholicism, Rommney's defense of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and Huckabee (sp?), the Baptist minister. Only Romney has really had to defend himself, I feel necessarily and badly.

George Romney, the former governor of Michigan (Mitt's father), gave the keynote address at my graduation from high school. His obsession with family issues and how he handles them within made for a strange commencement speech.

Mitt has a tendency to follow his father's example, not a good thing. Huckabee, on the other hand, has hardly mentioned his past as a minister. (Rudy avoids religion and God-talk at all costs!) Huckabee doesn't wear religion on his sleeve and allows for secularism (although he's starting to stray, probably getting bad political advice). The clip you just played of Romney shows a man who wants to abandon our secular society and make our government more like a theocracy.

One other thing: Kennedy defended his faith but discounted religion's role in government. Contrariwise, Romney seems to want religion to be (part of) our government. His faith should remain with him and his family. Period.

Dec. 06 2007 12:01 PM
John Celardo from Fanwood, NJ

I can’t be the only person who is put off by the over emphasis of religion by the Republicans. Romny is not Kennedy, and his speech was more an affirmation of Republicans need to coddle the religious right, than to ask that he be judged on his merits.

Dec. 06 2007 12:01 PM
ab

I think it does matter when it's a religion with some pretty racist ideas as the caller points out. As a person of color..you are damn straight that matters to me!!!
Sorry...I don't find racism "irrelevant".

As a secularist, it also matters to me whether the President allows his religious beliefs to interfere with the secular democracy that was formed by the "founding fathers". And yes I do think Bush's extreme views concerning religion (such as god talking to him and that god wanted him to be president,etc) does at least partially inform his extreme black&white, good vs. evil view of the world that has made his presidency such a complete disaster.

Dec. 06 2007 11:58 AM
Dan from NJ

Anne,

Just as an example, the NAZIs had Germany running like the well-oiled engines in the trucks that brought their victims to the furnaces.

Let us hope that ideology is not overlooked.

Dan

Dec. 06 2007 11:57 AM
Robert from NYC

I don't want any candidate who is over religious as is W. I certainly do not want Huckabee. Religious folks are evil in my book and it seems the most vicious and hateful wars throughout history are for religious purposes.

Dec. 06 2007 11:56 AM
James from DUMBO

I agree with Bill Maher: He has a right to wear his mormon magic underwear and we have a right to NOT vote for him for doing so.

Dec. 06 2007 11:55 AM
Dan from NJ

Two points:

-Did he mention atheists or nonreligious voters?

-Why do people care when his beliefs are no more ridiculous than those held by most people of faith?

Dan

Dec. 06 2007 11:52 AM
anne from NYC

What does it matter what religion a candidate believes in? This country (and especially the media) makes too much of insignificant details.

As long as he runs the country like a well-oiled business, that is all that matters. The rest is garbage.

Dec. 06 2007 11:51 AM