Cuomo's Budget Plans

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Governor Cuomo unveiled his 2013 budget yesterday, with a call for increased minimum wage, higher gambling revenue, and cuts to various programs. Albany Times-Union capitol bureau chief Casey Seiler discusses the proposals.

Casey Seiler

Whenever there's a discussion about education, we need to start talking about the high costs of administration. Money is continually being stripped from the classroom (teachers and students) yet the number of Directors, Coordinators, Consultants, Public Relations and other non-educational positions continue to increase.

Jan. 23 2013 11:28 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

With perpetual increase in all costs – property taxes, surcharges and so much more- and lower or stagnant wages what we will see is higher migration out of New York State in the “out years.”

Jan. 23 2013 11:24 AM
RJ from prospect hts

I am *so* tired of legislators using every euphemism possible for taxes--fees, fares, surcharges (I'm sure I';m forgetting a few)--just so they can say they "didn't increase taxes." But when real, direct "taxes"--what we pay as a community to live together--they (i.e., Bloomberg) won't ask for higher taxes where it will actually bring in substantial enough amounts to make a difference (rather than nickle and diming working working people): a .0125% income tax increase, a stock transfer tax--heaven forbid! they'll all leave!!!

Cut the euphemism, folks--let's have a *real* conversation about these things.

Jan. 23 2013 11:20 AM
yosif from manhattan

No progressive millionaires tax, and a highly regressive parking ticket surtax. The gay marraige shine has rusted.

Jan. 23 2013 11:13 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

30 minute lines @ the DMV? I'll believe it, when I see it.

I like Coumo's allocating funds for upstate tourism. New York State is so dependent in NYC's appeal, tourists - both foreign and domestic - forget how beautiful the rest of the State is.

Jan. 23 2013 11:13 AM
Alejandra from Nassau

I really wish Cuomo would focus on reducing the budget of the state (this budget shows and increase, but I mean a real decrease, not just a reduction in growth) so that taxes could be brought down on families. I am begging for this and I am by no means rich. We have one of the highest income taxes and far more importantly the highest property taxes (Nassau, Winchester, etc) in the nation and it has become completely unaffordable. Even after the supposed tax cap my taxes went up by double digits again!

My sister left a year ago because her company moved out (citing taxes and local costs as one of the major drivers). I am the last hold out of my family, they've all moved on to states with better qualities of life at far lower costs. Once I get a buyer for my home I will soon be doing the same.

It's sad to have to leave the place where one grew up and long time friends not because of decisions you have made, but because the government is pricing you out of your own home.

Jan. 23 2013 10:50 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Cuomos speech, tone of voice, sounds just like his father. That creeps me out.

Jan. 23 2013 10:31 AM
Ed from Larchmont

Governor Cuomo is trying to pass a more radical statement about abortion, that it's a protected right, etc., going beyond Roe v. Wade. Governor Spitzer introduced this bill a few weeks before his untimely demise.

Jan. 23 2013 06:02 AM