New to Congress: Hakeem Jeffries

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Assemblyman Hakeem Jeffries (Colby Hamilton/WNYC)

Hakeem Jeffries, U.S. Representative (D-NY8) from Brooklyn, talks about his new role in Congress and his legislative priorities.

Hakeem Jeffries

Bob from Westchester

to Truth From Becky: Actually, I thought the "articulate", well-informed", "intelligent" comments were contrasting Congressman Jeffires to other politicians -- George W. Bush, Rick Santorum, Rick Perry, and various Congressional regular commentators on Fox News jump immediately to mind -- rather than dredging up the old "credit to his race" stereotypes.

Jan. 24 2013 12:52 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Let's not forget that the racist david duke of the kkk/nazis, endorsed charlie barron in the election which thankfully Hakim Jeffries won.

"David Duke, a former KKK Grand Wizard and self-described "white nationalist", released a video Wednesday endorsing former Black Panther and current Moammar Gaddafi-loving New York City Council Member Charles Barron. Barron is running for the Democratic nomination for New York's 8th Congressional District.

What, you ask, could these two possibly have in common? Why, anti-zionism of course."

Jan. 24 2013 11:09 AM
john from office

Becky, have a great new year. I will keep to my resolution.

Jan. 24 2013 10:54 AM
The Truth from Becky

What you all who make that distinction about "good diction" in Black Americans don't realize is that it is a stereotypical and racist thing to make note of...THE TRUTH is you should not have commented JOHN...if everyone else jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you have done so as well? I'm just sayin'!

Jan. 24 2013 10:47 AM
john from office

I was going to comment on his good diction, but was afraid I would be called a racist. Since others noticed I will do so. I am glad we sent a well spoken, smart african american to congress and not the usual loud mouth, mumble mouth idiots. Well done!

Jan. 24 2013 10:27 AM
Stella from downtown

Great conversation, Brian. Newly minted Congressman Jeffries is insightful, articulate, progressive - and realistic. New Yorkers need leaders like him. More, please.

Jan. 24 2013 10:26 AM
Stephen from Manhattan

We need more people like Mr. Jeffries in Congress — articulate, intelligent, well informed on the issues. Based on what I just heard from him, it sounds like this man can actually make a difference in Congress. If only there were a few hundred more of him in the House. GO HAKEEM JEFFRIES!

Jan. 24 2013 10:25 AM

My wife went to Midwood High School with Mr. Jeffries and didn't even know he was into politics....I found that hilarious.

Jan. 24 2013 10:22 AM
Lois from Harlem

Wow!! Jeffries is one smart, articulate, knowledgeable congressperson. Let's clone him.

Jan. 24 2013 10:19 AM
John from Bushwick

This guy is incredibly well-spoken.

Jan. 24 2013 10:19 AM

The electorate is NOT divided. The Republicans retain control of the House by the means of ant-democratic gerrymandering. Govern like the people are behind YOU and that the holders of House majority power are mere pretenders. They are.

Jan. 24 2013 10:14 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Good riddance to Ed Towns and his ad hoc muse, Charles Barron.

Jan. 24 2013 10:12 AM