Open Phones: The O Factor

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Do celebrity endorsements matter? Oprah Winfrey has endorsed Barack Obama, how does that endorsement, or any endorsement, affect your vote?

hjs from 11211

i love bill moyers Friday night show on channel 13 9pm

Nov. 27 2007 11:59 AM
eric fluger from jersey city

while it wouldn't necessarily sway my vote, i'd be very interested in what senator byrd has to say.

Nov. 27 2007 11:57 AM
Brian Hasbrouck from New York, NY

Whomever The Economist picks usually holds great sway w/ me...

Nov. 27 2007 11:56 AM
hjs from 11211

any stater has a right to share their opinion. can't beliver some of these callers off their rollers

Nov. 27 2007 11:55 AM
JJ from NYC

I would vote for Al Gore in 2008, because he endorsed Howard Dean in 2004. (Anti-Iraq stance).

Nov. 27 2007 11:54 AM
John Eiche from queens ny

Brian, I would be influenced by your endorsment of a canidate, if you explained it.

Nov. 27 2007 11:53 AM
judy from manhattan

I would trust your endorsement, Brian.
Neither Oprah nor Barack are moral authorities.

Nov. 27 2007 11:52 AM
H.G. from Brooklyn, NY

If you had asked how many people would have been swayed by the Swift Boat Veterans, would anyone have said "yes"? And yet that "counter-endorsement" had a big affect. People aren't good at detecting what influences them.

Nov. 27 2007 11:50 AM
Chad Harris from Ridgewood

Brian, why don't you just shut-up with your jaunts at Oprah?

Is it me or do you out right hate Obama? If it was Hillary I could hear the difference in your tone.

If he moves up and is the candidate then Oprah could rally the black community and they could take this election.

Well unless it is stolen and it probably will be because you and Fox are supporting Giuliani.

Nov. 27 2007 11:48 AM
Gaines from Knoxville, TN

Oprah's endorsement doesn't hold weight for me.

The only endorsements that I could be influenced by are those from political figures. If Lee Iacocca or David Brooks endorsed someone, that'd be influential. If an entertainer does it, like Oprah or Jerry Springer, I won't care.

Nov. 27 2007 11:48 AM
JVM from westchester

this is what's wrong with america-- people forget what a privilege secret balloting actually is. keep your vote to yourself and be glad for the right to do so.

Nov. 27 2007 11:47 AM
Linda from Queens

I can't believe this is even a discussion. Is this NPR or Entertainment Tonight?

Nov. 27 2007 11:47 AM
Bernie from Brooklyn Carroll Gardens

Oprah's endorsement doesn't necessarily influence me — I respect her but am not among her worshippers. If anything, Oprah's endorsement of Obama makes me respect *her* more. To me, Obama really does represent the best chance to steer our country away from the hubris of empire and its inevitable, tragic impact. He'd be the most exciting choice, even if the Republican candidates weren't advocating endless war and Mrs. Clinton weren't mired in political calculus.

Nov. 27 2007 11:07 AM
RC

Unless she gets up and says "Everyone free healthcare!!!" "You get free healthcare!.... You get free healhcare!.... "You get free healthcare!!"

Nov. 27 2007 10:32 AM
CH from NYC

Al Gore's endorsement may be the tie breaker for me. I would also be interested in knowing whom Robert Reich backs.

Nov. 27 2007 10:28 AM