Martin Luther King Day 2013

Monday, January 21, 2013

On this Martin Luther King, Jr. day, highlights from yesterday's event at the Brooklyn Museum, co-hosted by Farai Chidaya. Featuring:

Peter Bailey, Brenda Greene, Peniel Joseph, Dr Khalil Gibran Muhammad and Britta Waldschmidt-Nelson

Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

The original is still the best.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

That means no preferences, set asides, affirmative action based on race AKA skin color.

Learning does not stop when students leave the school building for the day. Learning and studying to reinforce what was presented at school that day must continue and be reinforced in the home.

Jan. 21 2013 12:05 PM
David from Fredericksburg, VA

@ Christine from Westchester

Just what did George W Bush do to achieve his wealth? What great accomplishment, other than being born the son of George H W Bush, did he perform to obtain his wealth?

Jan. 21 2013 11:41 AM
Christine from Westchester

David makes note of "white privilege" that somehow suggests that some people have things just handed to them. Maybe. Or could it be that some of achieved something you simply haven't. We have to stop the envy for what others have in our country. This divide is tearing us apart. Why not be happy with what you've got or work for what else you think you need? What's that commandment? You shall not covet they neighbor's goods. I think there's a reason for that. I don't live in a mansion but happy for my books and the house I have. We should all be a little less worried about what the other guy has.

Jan. 21 2013 11:11 AM
David from Fredericksburg, VA

I have a dream that everyone realizes "white privilege" is for a very select sub-group of whites. All whites don't go to Harvard and work in finance or as CEOs of major corporations.

Most Americans are without power - especially if we keep breaking ourselves up into separate groups.

Jan. 21 2013 11:03 AM
Christine from Westchester

I have a dream that parents take some ownership of their kids education: it goes beyond school. Don't look only at what the school offers but access opportunities in this wonderful city: museums, galleries, libraries. Look not at only our teachers: parents need to be teachers too. The more they know, the better our kids are as citizens and better equipped to work in the world.

Jan. 21 2013 10:55 AM
deborah from Brooklyn

I have a dream that Americans, especially young people, will read and contemplate the entire text of Dr.King's "dream" speech, and his speech to the strikers in Memphis on March 18, 1968.

Jan. 21 2013 10:49 AM
Susan from nyc

I have a dream that everyone will watch the video at the following link. and learn from it and be a pert of it.

Jan. 21 2013 10:45 AM
kent from Hell's Kitchen

I have a dream that children will not kill themselves because they are taunted, bullied, thrown out of their homes. I have a dream that one day children of all gender identifications will sit down together at the table and be judged by the content of their character, not for whom they love.

Jan. 21 2013 10:43 AM
Robert from NYC

I have a dream that one day you all will stop tweeting, facebooking, blabbing about your dreams and get off your butts and make your dream no longer a dream.

Jan. 21 2013 10:41 AM
Christine from Westchester

Any dream that starts with "income redistribution" is set on the wrong foundation. It shouldn't be taking money from people who earned it to hand to others; what then is the motivation for anyone to improve their lot? A better dream is for education for all so that our young people are ready to face the world and are prepared for jobs and able to earn a living.

Jan. 21 2013 10:40 AM
April from Manhattan

Could you cover the massacre at Attica as well? Cover white Southerners in the Civil Rights Movement? Like me. There were folks from every Southern state, including Alabama and Mississippi.

I'd add to the mindset of glorifying violence, the misogyny of much Hip Hop and Rap. (By the way, what's the difference? One guy told me Hip Hop is commercial Rap.)

Jan. 21 2013 10:30 AM