Film Studies: New York Movies

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Film critics Dana Stevens of Slate and Entertainment Weekly’s Owen Gleiberman discuss the quintessential New York films, the classics, the recent classics, and the forgettable ones. What's your all-time favorite New York movie?

Owen Gleiberman and Dana Stevens

BC from Flushing

The French Connection!

Nov. 22 2007 12:00 PM
david brinn williams from ditmas park, brooklyn

i think that "American Psycho" is a notable ny film within the last 10 years. Written in the late eighties by brett easton ellis, it is an inditement on the greed that was pervasive on wall street during that period, which has extended and reached epic proportions in more recent times

Nov. 22 2007 11:58 AM
Liz from Brooklyn

I have two favorites:

The Naked City, directed by Jules Dassin. The most incredible chase on the Williamsburg Bridge. A real on location scene that could never be done again in this day and age.

Next, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, the best "underground" film about New York.

Nov. 22 2007 11:55 AM
Lou da Silva from Old Greenwich, CT

Favorite New York Movie:

Martin Scorsese's "After Hours" is my favorite surreal New York movie.

Nov. 22 2007 11:53 AM
Jessica Wakeman from Fairfield, CT

Only the the last scene of the film does it become a "New York movie," but the 1999 Camereon Crowe film, "Almost Famous," has a beautifully touching scene filmed with Kate Hudson and Patrick Fugit in Central Park. I just love that film, and I just love that scene.

Nov. 22 2007 11:53 AM
BC from Flushing

When this segment began I instantly thought of a great New York movie that's really a Boston movie: The Verdict, directed by Sidney Lument (I think), with Paul Newman.
Why's it a New York movie? Just by virtue of a couple of scenes in New York -- one instantly knows, just from, I don't know, the light, the character of some buildings, the way one brief, silent shot of two men talking on a sidewalk, shot from high above, but above all that amazing New York winter light -- we're now in New York. It's brilliant.

Nov. 22 2007 11:52 AM