Creating the Golden Age of Television

Friday, January 18, 2013

Bill Persky, the five-time Emmy Award-winning writer, director, and producer of over 300 TV shows and films during the 1950s to the 1970s, including “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” “That Girl,” and “Kate & Allie,” talks about his life and career during the Golden Age of television comedy. In his memoir, My Life is a Situation Comedy, he shares his tales of the people he worked with and of a life well lived and vividly recollected.

Bill Persky
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

thatgirl from manhattan

Talk about "brushes with greatness," Nick from UWS!

Jan. 18 2013 01:29 PM
John A

His book got nothing but 5-star ratings on Amazon. Might be worth a look.

Jan. 18 2013 01:10 PM
Nick from UWS

As Sam Jaffe's nephew, I must take the responsibility to delineate for the record exactly what Sam says in the opening of Ben Casey: "Man, woman, life, death, infinity." That's all he says!

Great interview here!

Jan. 18 2013 12:54 PM
John A.

So who is Sam Denoff? The two of you are forever married for me in the show credit roll.

Jan. 18 2013 12:54 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

Love that you intro'd the segment with the "That Girl" theme, Leonard! Those opening notes made me run to the TV to watch it as a child, and all but guaranteed I would live here one day. To this day, I still count it as one my top three faves of all time, alongside the Dick Van Dyke Show! Is it any wonder that the Mary Tyler Moore show is the third? These truly characterize television's best era.

Jan. 18 2013 12:50 PM
deb from nyc

The amazing thing about "Kate and Ally" was that it was taped in front of a live audience at the Ed Sullivan Theater. I attended many times, but always was seated in the balcony. Who did I have to sleep with to sit downstairs?

Jan. 18 2013 12:32 PM