Don’t Call Me Shirley

Friday, November 09, 2007

Alleen Nilsen, professor of English at Arizona State University and co-president of the American Name Society, talks about gender and names.

Alleen Nilsen
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

David from Brooklyn

I was almost named Shirley, but my parents played it safe. My maternal grandfather was named Shirley--friends called him Shirl--and he was, by all accounts, a "man's man." I think I would have had a "Boy Named Sue" kind of childhood if I had been named Shirley, but now that I'm older (37) I sometimes wish I hadn't missed out on a unique name. After all, how many "David"s are there in my generation? (Answer: many.)

Nov. 09 2007 11:28 AM
JT from New Rochelle NY

Evan Rachel Wood.

The reason for the girls named Evan in the early 21st century.

Nov. 09 2007 10:59 AM
FREDERIC

If I recall correctly..
wasn't King Arthur's Sister named Morgan?

Morgen Le Fea.

Nov. 09 2007 10:56 AM
Joe Boucher from NY, NY

I wrote a crossword a couple years ago called "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)" featuring "crossover" names like Joyce Cary, Shirley Povich, and Evelyn Waugh. It's still online at http://www.thehighhat.com/Detritus/005/xword.html .

Nov. 09 2007 10:54 AM
Emily from Manhattan

I wonder what Ms. Nilsen has to say about names from other languages/cultures adopted by Americans to name children of the opposite gender, e.g. Kristen, Andrea, etc. That seems interesting to me.

Nov. 09 2007 10:54 AM
Mike from Rockefeller Center

Besides the Census website, people should consult the Social Security Administration who have a great name database: http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/.

Nov. 09 2007 10:52 AM