The Other "F" Word

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Feminists young and old gather at Hunter College this weekend for "Freedom on Our Terms: From Houston 1977 - New York 2007" commemorating the 30th anniversary of the first National Women’s Conference. Liz Abzug, president and co-founder of the Bella Abzug Leadership Institute and Jerin Alam, president of the Hunter Women's Rights Coalition (HWRC) talk about trying to "pass the torch" from one generation of feminists to another.

Liz Abzug and Jerin Alam
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Owen from Rochester

I was so disappointed with Liz Abzug. She came to this interview as if she were going on Fox News--or, for that matter, entering a boxing ring. She was completely defensive from the first question, as if Brian and the callers were out to trick her into discrediting feminism or something. The conference sounds great, but it needs a less paranoid spokesperson.

Nov. 08 2007 10:13 AM
Miss or Ms

Thanks, Anne.

EXCELLENT POINTS.

Nov. 07 2007 11:44 AM
MichaelB from UWS of Manhattan

Guest on Brian's show just said that if there were better child care choices....

This somewhat implies that all women who decide to stay home with their children are not capable of making a decision for themselves. In other words, women who make the "correct" choices are to be respected, those who make the incorrect choices are condescended to.

BTW, what choices do men have in this regard?

And one question I NEVER hear asked is if a father told the mother that HE wanted to stay home with the kids and not go back to work rather than her, how many women would accept this?? Some number yes, but how big or small would that number be?

This reality is ignored.

Nov. 07 2007 11:41 AM
Anne Fernald from Jersey City

This is very exciting news. I'm a feminist and proud to be so. I have grown tired of the dominance of upper-middle class white college-educated women's issues being consistently depicted as the burning issues. (Should I stay at home with my baby?: That's not a choice even for me, and I have a Ph.D. We need my income. It's not the most important issue.)

When feminists unite on issues effecting women in the developing world, non-white and underclass women, the feminist movement is absolutely relevant, powerful and inspiring to me.

Anne Fernald
English & Women's Studies
Fordham

Nov. 07 2007 11:37 AM
Miss or Ms

If you believe men and women are equal value, you are a feminist.

You do not have to "hate men" or hate wearing makeup to be a feminist or have feminist values.

Yo do not have to be female, to be a feminist.

I think a lot of women and girls do not identify as feminist because ironically, they want to appeal to men and boys.

And being identified as a ball, busting, bra burning, man hating feminist is unappealing.

Nov. 07 2007 11:35 AM
daniella from nyc

I am waiting for there to be more balance for time off for mothers. When the laws apply to men too maybe there can be a more balanced work place.

Nov. 07 2007 11:33 AM
Gaines from Knoxville, TN

Oh, ok. She just brought it up, nevermind then.

Nov. 07 2007 11:33 AM
Gaines from Knoxville, TN

I'm disappointed that something isn't happening here: men aren't being identified and aren't acting as feminists. What happened to Betty Friedan's (sp?) view of feminism being something for men and women to support?

Nov. 07 2007 11:32 AM