Change to Spitzer's Plan

Monday, October 29, 2007

Michael Goodwin, Daily News columnist, Pulitzer Prize winner and the News' former executive editor and editorial page editor, and Chris Smith, contributing editor from New York Magazine, discuss the changes to Spitzer's drivers license plan.

Michael Goodwin and Chris Smith

Davide-NYC from Manhattan

I suspect the governor knows that this is an insoluble problem in NYS, and presenting it now is intended to force the federal government's hand to begin reforming immigration policy nationwide.

Oct. 29 2007 11:29 AM
GM from Westchester

One of our employees “bought” a North Carolina drivers license for $5,000. He needed to go to NC twice to take the tests. This is a common practice in our area and our employee had no trouble hooking up with someone to “sell” him an address in NC and give him all the info he needed.

Oct. 29 2007 10:24 AM
I Love Garrett Popcorn from Midtown

This is definitely a scarlet letter plan. I'm a temporary worker in this country and on my ID, there's this red bold line 'temp visitor exp: (expiration date)' in capitals. What would the illegal immigrant's license look like?

Oct. 29 2007 10:22 AM
Joann

I've entered this country legally when I was 6 years old and have overstayed my status due my parent's not legalizing our status. I am now 23 years old, educated with a college degree, working full time without a social security number, I cannot work on salary basis, cannot get health insurance, cannot travel, get financial aid, and worst of all: I cannot get a driver's license. I'm not too familiar about Spitzer's plan but if there was a way to obtain a license without a social security number, he would be considered my godsend.

Oct. 29 2007 10:21 AM
David from Brooklyn

Why is something that is existing, working well in other states so controversial here? Why don't people simply look if the practice in other the other states doing it (Oregon, New Mexico) is causing problems as at least ONE valid argument in the debate?

Oct. 29 2007 10:19 AM
Jack Green from Manattan, NY

I have some undocumented relatives in different states. I have a cousin that was pulled over as a passenger in Vermont and due to his foreign status and lack of proof of citizen ship was imediately arrested, transported to federal prison in Arizona with the general prison population and deported within 2 weeks. The "special" drivers liscence will mean that illegal immigrants from new york will never be able to leave the state at the very least.

Oct. 29 2007 10:18 AM