Judge Rules Against NYPD's Stop & Frisk Program

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Michael Aronson, member of the Editorial Board of the New York Daily News, talks about federal judge Shira A. Scheindlin's ruling that declares part of the NYPD's stop and frisk program unconstitutional.

Michael Aronson
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

David from NYC

Of course I know every kid with his pants around his knees and baseball cap on backwards is not a criminal and the police are wrong for even looking at him the wrong way.

however if you take that argument and apply it to gun control every
one should be able to buy a gun.

this is simply not a "black and white" issue.

And yes there are plenty of a-hole cops.....but there are enuff
a-holes in this town to go around..(I'm looking at you Donald T. )

Jan. 09 2013 03:51 PM
tomLI

Yes, cops are people and yes there are criminals lurking....but to imply that the average beat cop is trained, much less savvy enough to spot them with little to no surveillance is the height of absurdity. Federal officers/agents, like the Secret Service go thru extensive trading to learn how to "read" people in a crowd or in one on one situations - and they still get it wrong a lot of the time. So for some rookie cop, or one with 10+ years on the job with little to no training in such skills to be making these random calls is...well crazy.

And for the Cop family folks - me to - and let's admit that Cops have an extreme Us versus everyone else mentality that I know has turned normal guys into paranoid, aggressive, abusers of their public trusted power. Let's stop the blind adoration of a group that often profiles as similar to criminals in mentality and attitude who think they are special and above the rules of society. Sycophancy serves no one.

Jan. 09 2013 12:53 PM
fuva from harlemworld

...buy-in...

Jan. 09 2013 11:11 AM
The Truth from Becky

DAVID What??? Are you nuts or are you confusing the "defend myself" comment BY A PUNK ROBBER numbskull obviously not the police...SMDH

Jan. 09 2013 11:10 AM
David from NYC

Really ??
You seem to have little to no understanding who is on the NYPD.
But hthats another issue for another day

Jan. 09 2013 11:06 AM
The Truth from Becky

David from NYC - 1st, my entire immediate family is in law enforcement in some capacity from correction officers to detectives HOWEVER they are not going to be the one to stop me and 2nd I don't have to walk I have a car, hopefully I will not have to but I will defend myself if accosted.

Jan. 09 2013 11:03 AM

Cops are MEATHEADS.

They LOVE to harass. There is no better harassment then citing a pedestrian or motorist for ANY reason they feel like and force the accused to deal with the legal fallout.

Sure, try to say "Leave me alone."

NYPD is OUT OF CONTROL.

Jan. 09 2013 10:52 AM
David from NYC

Becky, remember that when your walking home at night
and are being followed by some stranger.

Cops are people...some good some bad
Don't use broad stokes to paint everything

Jan. 09 2013 10:49 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Ah, John - I was waiting for you.

Yes, another judge that actually believes that young working class people of color, have rights under the constitution, in spite of what YOU, self-righteous garbage newpapers, and an arrogant mayor think.

Jan. 09 2013 10:49 AM
The Truth from Becky

Waah Waah they have a tough job, well so do I, I just don't get to shoot people or stop and violate their person with a pat down! I also don't appreciate having my 70 year old mother stopped for not signaling a lane change, gun drawn in her face by skittish cops, EXTREME. Oh wait, too late already happened!

Jan. 09 2013 10:46 AM
Kat from Astoria

The judge is a numbskull. The working people who live in NYC housing benefit from Stop & Frisk. Just ask them. If you're a working person, you don't want to put up with drugs, violence, and other residents just hanging out in the halls. Who in their right mind does? Let the police patrol the most dangerous neighborhoods and buildings and stop obvious vagrants. Let's face it, it takes guts to do this, and most Brian Lehrer listeners wouldn't put themselves in the ways of such harm. Can Stop & Frisk be improved? Of course! There is always room for advances in community relations, public education, and police training. What about those two teenagers who were stopped and frisked, turned out to have loaded guns, were arrested, and then set free by the judge recently? That was madness. What would you have done? Take the guns away!

Jan. 09 2013 10:44 AM
Bob

Not enough time spent on this issue, Brian! Should have cut the Chris Christie segment. He takes up enough hot air.

Jan. 09 2013 10:44 AM
fuva from harlemworld

For the record, we don't like to be stopped or questioned by the cops for walking while black/latino either. Frisked or not.

There's a way to patrol and preserve the human/civil rights and dignity of innocent citizens. It will require restraint and advance by-in from the community -- both of which are lacking in the current policy.

Jan. 09 2013 10:42 AM
The Truth from Becky

Correction Aronson, I want to be safe and I have the RIGHT, not to be hassled!

Jan. 09 2013 10:41 AM
Mick from NYC

This morning, on WNYC's feature dealing with children murdered by gunshots, the mother of a 17 year old who died leaving a party on December 31 said that the police said he had been a gang member. But she was not in a gang and his only arrests had been for trespassing IN HIS OWN BUILDING. How can you "Trespass" in your own home, and how is that not a false arrest?

Jan. 09 2013 10:41 AM
Bob

I agree. Stop and Frisk is out of hand.

Hey Michael, try telling a NYPD officer, "hey, leave me alone" and see what happens. Silliness.

NYPD needs higher standards and much better training how to treat people.

Jan. 09 2013 10:39 AM
Joshua from Crown Heights

I live in an 8 family apt. in Crown Heights and the cops have lied to us saying they have the permission of the landlord and do vertical patrolling in our building. I have a roof garden and more then once they have rudely approached me and giving me a hard time. I have read blogs about them giving tickets to people on their own roofs.

Jan. 09 2013 10:39 AM
David from NYC

I live in Flushing Queens and I have not ever seen a stop
and frisk...ever ! and I'm not a shut in.
I live in a rental building and we are lucky if the front door lock works.
Please bring it here ! We have crime and drug use, car break ins and
vandalism.

Jan. 09 2013 10:35 AM
john from office

Another federal judge that after her ruling returns to her home in some white enclave, leaving the people that actually live in these areas to live lives of crime and violence.

Jan. 09 2013 10:34 AM
jmurphy from long island

According to Chris Bilal: "...2010 record of 600,000 stops. 52,000 of those stops took place in a single 8 block area of Brooklyn where only 1% led to arrest."

Really? THAT is an effective use of police resources? All of those thousands of police hours just in that one area could be used getting to know all of the residents and working WITH them instead of stalking and violating them, which to me is the only way to define 52,000 stops in one year in one eight block radius.

Jan. 09 2013 10:28 AM
oscar from ny

Applauding federal judge Shira A. Its about time someone defends us from this metro sexual whos delusion and zealousness have humiliated hundreds of people in N.Y...and I'm so grateful that this person doesn't have much time left...good riddance!

Jan. 09 2013 10:16 AM