The Future of Food and Farming in America

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Wenonah Hauter, executive director of Food & Water Watch and organic farmer, argues that the local food movement is not enough to solve America’s food crisis. In Foodopoly: The Battle Over the Future of Food and Farming in America, she takes aim at what she sees as the cause of our food and public health problems: the consolidation and corporate control of food production.

Wenonah Hauter

Jim ~

Congats. You completely missed the point.

Jan. 10 2013 10:03 AM
Jim

@dboy

If you choose to live in NYC you have no business complaining about the cost of local food. Funny how people in the most economically and ecologically unbalanced communities place so many economic and ecological conditions on the methods by which the rest of the world labors to keep them alive.

Jan. 10 2013 05:16 AM

The "locavore" movement is, for the most part, insufferable and elitist. This from someone who ONLY shops the NYC Green Market - has read all the Pollan, Berry, Petrini etc.

I shop the Green Market because I believe the food to be better tasting and much better for you. I also believe in the politics of eating local and supporting my farmer...

However...

...this "local" food needs to be accessible to more for the politics of the movement to be successful. I believe that food needs to be "good, clean and fair" and this means food should cost more. However, price of this food is EXPONENTIALLY more expensive than it's industrial counterpart. I understand the mantra, "Well, you know... industrial food production is subsidized and therefore artificially cheap."

True.

But, even under this criteria it does not justify the WILD pricing of food at the market and at hipster food venues. Bacon alone can range in price from $8/lb to close to $20/lb!! Hipster bearded butchers in Williamsburg charge $32/lb for a product touted as "house cured guanciale"!!

You can get actual imported DOP Italian guanciale produced from the rare Cinta Senese heritage breed, endangered pig imported all the way from the place where guanciale was "invented" for $25/lb!!! http://www.hqf.it/cinta-senese-biologico-dop

I'm down with paying more. I believe in a better product AND supporting the movement but, this kind of price gouging is CRIMINAL.

Jan. 09 2013 02:45 PM
Henry from Manhattan

So, organic producers don't use chemicals, pesticides, or herbicides?

Actually no, they do.

An accurate statement could be made that organic generally use less.

I care far less about synthetic versus natural descriptions of pesticides and herbicides (organic vs. conventional) and far more on actual data of health and environmental impact.

Some natural substances are dangerous, some synthetics are benign, and of course, it's all dose dependent.

Jan. 09 2013 02:01 PM
MG from Manhattan

After all this...... you are making excuses for your farm not being ORGANIC?? Cheeez !!!!!
what a pie in the sky bunch of dribble ! (except for the truth of monopolies) but you cant feed 350 million people on "Local " wake up people... we can take the centralization need and put it where it should be .. Coops
Socialism that benefits the many instead of the few ( the rich are all for centralized profits as long as they are making them) ! It is always a matter of economies of scale ..... we want economic freedom and that means EVERYONE has a stake in the economy and production nit just an elite 1%

Jan. 09 2013 02:00 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Not the genetically-monified food scare again? Who's on tomorrow, an anti-vaxer?

Jan. 09 2013 01:57 PM
Jeb from Brooklyn

GMO safety is well-established. Wish public radio would, I don't know, respect science? This is shameful anti-science. Ever wonder how conservatives can deny climate change? Look in the mirror.

Jan. 09 2013 01:55 PM
john from office

dboy how can we give up KFC or popeyes, come on, its unamerican! I just loves that chicken!

Jan. 09 2013 01:55 PM

Tyson made much money distributing Cocaine transported on its chicken trucks.
Pritchard, The Secret Life of Bill Clinton: The Unreported Stories, http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-Life-Bill-Clinton/dp/0895264080

Jan. 09 2013 01:54 PM

Let's not forget the negative impact on agriculture by the Nixon administration.

Earl Lauer "Get Big or Get Out" Butz singlehandedly destroyed small family farms and was the captain of the meteoritic rise of ENORMOUS Korporate Agribusines®.

These monopolies have dangerously compromised our food supply through species consolidation and catastrophic environmental pollution.

GO MONSANTO™!!

Jan. 09 2013 01:51 PM
Robert from NYC

I'm so sad to hear that what I thought is true that they use bleach. Often I ask friends if they notice a faint odor of bleach on chicken and they think I'm crazy!! I have a very sharp nose and the chicken that smells that way I don't buy.

Jan. 09 2013 01:50 PM
john from office

This woman can barely contain her zeal for this subject. I hope she takes a breath.

Jan. 09 2013 01:47 PM
Cathy from glen ridge, nj

Ditto Henry from Manhattan's question about anti-GMO activist and environmentalist Mark Lyna's change of heart/mind re: GMOs... What is Hauter's counter-argument or refutation of Lyna's new position (pro)on GMOs.

Jan. 09 2013 01:20 PM
Henry from Manhattan

What is Hauter’s reaction to long-time environmentalist Mark Lynas’s Slate article recanting on his, and many activists, anti-scientific advocacy against GMOs?

Source: