Neil Shubin on the Universe Within

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Science writer Neil Shubin discusses a scientific mystery as big as the world itself: How are the events that formed our solar system billions of years ago embedded inside each of us? In The Universe Within, Shubin explains how fossils, the Earth’s position, and the universe’s fourteen-billion-year history can be seen in the human body.

Neil Shubin

Heather from Wilton, CT

I usually turn off the show when Leonard is out but Alicia Menendez's interview was well done and very thought provoking. I can't wait to read Mr. Shubin's book.

Jan. 10 2013 02:13 PM
Joan Saslow from Chappaqua, NY

Excellent show. Alicia Menendez is one of the best interviewers I've heard. Simple yet straightforward questions led one to the other and permitted Dr. Shubin to really educate listeners.
Thanks for having her.

Jan. 09 2013 08:43 PM
Jim

@Tony from Canarsie

That is an interesting observation. Especially when you consider how esoteric the Lopate show often gets on matters of art and culture.

Jan. 09 2013 01:36 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Interesting segment, but it brings to mind something I've noticed over the years: Why does the media, including WNYC, almost always present information about science on a basic introductory level?

Jan. 09 2013 01:29 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Wow, about all of this. So many questions I'd like to ask, but I'll stick to this: Why does the development of tectonic plates depend on a planet's position in its star system, & how does this effect happen?

Jan. 09 2013 01:22 PM
Henry from Manhattan

Carl Sagan would always famously say that we’re all star stuff.

Jan. 09 2013 01:16 PM
John A

I don't know if this is Mr. Shubin's track at all, but it fascinates me greatly that matter itself evolves, that our bodies' Carbon-Oxygen-Nitrogen all came merely from Hydrogen, gravity, and time.

Jan. 09 2013 10:14 AM