Bed-Time Blues

Monday, October 22, 2007

Ashley Merryman, attorney and writer who blogs with Po Bronson on his website, contributed to the New York Magazine article Snooze or Lose (10/15/07) is joined by Dr. Mark Mahowald, director of the Minnesota Regional Sleep Disorders Center, to talk about sleep-deprived kids and the price they’re paying for the lost zzzz’s.

Dr. Mark Mahowald and Ashley Merryman

tim from tuckahoe ny

i missed the doctors answer about when is the best time to exercise. Also, how did he treat the question from dan who runs alot but only sleeps 5 hrs a nite? is this detrimental over the long term?

Oct. 22 2007 04:03 PM
mgduke from hell's kitchen

brian keeps insisting that "we choose" the behavior, completely discounting everything the guests have said about the controlling circadian rhythms. the reason the kids are "perky" at 10 p.m. is not orneriness or greed to watch "The Daily Show" but their teenage body clocks.

Oct. 22 2007 11:33 AM
Carey from Mt. Kisco

No I'M sorry....If increased homework to meet school testing requirements ultimately affects how much sleep a child can get, then it certainly is within topic.

Oct. 22 2007 11:31 AM
Hannah from Fair Lawn, nj

I would like the speaker to comment on the relationship between sleep deprivation, obesity and nursing. I am the mother of a 2 month old and clearly sleep deprived, I am also nursing which requires greater caloric intake - how can this affect my health?

Hannah
Fair Lawn, nj

Oct. 22 2007 11:31 AM
Robert from NYC

I remember 20 or so years ago being told not to exercise before sleep because the endorphins (whatever the hell they are, sound like aliens from the planet Endorph) are aroused or stirred up and you no longer feel tired because they cause you to feel good. The Dr would say the best time is about 1 hour after you wake up in the morning.

Oct. 22 2007 11:30 AM
MichaelB from UWS of Manhattan

As to Brian's question why we do this (don't set school start times at bio-appropriate times), why do we wait until H.S. to teach foreign languages, despite the well known fact that young children are much more adapt at learning languages???

Duh!

Oct. 22 2007 11:30 AM
Brookeb from Manhattan

The guests mentioned melatonin, but what about other natural products? Valerian? Triptophan? Do these have any value for insommnia?

Thanks

Oct. 22 2007 11:27 AM
Agwuk from lONG iSLAND

Sorry, no child left behind, is off topic.

Oct. 22 2007 11:24 AM
Ana from Summit, NJ

What's a parent to do? I have a 16 year old, she can't fall asleep, even if she goes to bed at 10, until 1/2-1 hr later but needs to wake up at 6 am. With all the homework and activities that kids do they don'at have much time to sleep.

Oct. 22 2007 11:23 AM
Dan from Trenton, NJ

I'm a college senior with sleep problems. I've been running fifty miles a week for a year and a half, but still rarely get more than five hours of sleep. Believe it or not, I sometimes can't sleep even after I run a marathon! How is this possible, and how do I stop it?

Oct. 22 2007 11:21 AM
Carey from Mt. Kisco

Can we work this into "No Child Left Behind"? My kids - first and third grade - are up later than they should be because they have SO MUCH FREAKING HOMEWORK!!!

Oct. 22 2007 11:15 AM
Ron from Upper Eastside

How does caffeine and energy drinks affect our sleep?

I always feel more tired later in the week, if I drink a lot of coffee earlier and throughout the week.

Oct. 22 2007 11:14 AM
eric fluger from jersey city

do naps help?

is there a noticable effect when cultures that have traditionally had siestas as a norm start modernizing and abandon them? would we benefit from adopting siestas as a cultural norm?

Oct. 22 2007 11:12 AM
Robert from NYC

Well, loss of sleep causes stupidity, take it from me. I've become very stupid since I now sleep only 3 hours a night or less. So I advise one to correct any problem developing in this area as soon as possible: you know, nip it in the bud.

Oct. 22 2007 11:12 AM
Erin from Brooklyn

What is the appropriate time for a 3 year old to go to bed?

Oct. 22 2007 11:10 AM
Agwuk from lONG iSLAND

whats the worst thing that can happen for losing sleep what cna it do it to a persona dn alos please ask is deficits make up possible???????????????????????

Oct. 22 2007 11:07 AM
Laura from ROCKLAND COUNTY

I can't call in right now but I have a question... I often get migraines during the night, I'm not sure if it's sinus related or not. I've never been able to figure out why. I often feel like I'm a little wiped out the next day... how do the migraines affect my sleep, or my thinking the next day? and any suggestions on the problem?

Oct. 22 2007 11:02 AM