Rudy on the Radio

Friday, October 05, 2007

New York Times reporter Michael Powell, looks at Rudy Giuliani's comments on WABC during his tenure as NYC mayor and what it means for his presidential campaign.

Michael Powell

JHK from Turtle Bay, Midtown East, Manhattan

This says something about newspapers' unfortunate waning influence/agenda setting, and foremost, that the Powell article was, in my view ultimately a story about JOURNALISM vis a vis Giuliani and NOT the effect of these WABC recordings on the 08 race or some "eureka moment" discovery of Hizzoner's mayoral positions/policy stances.
The ultimate view expressed here is the following: EVERY politician (as well as many reporters) has an ego. Every human being, let alone Rudy G., hold political stances coupled naturally (and sometimes oxymoronically) with their own inherent PERSONALITY TRAITS/CHARACTERISTICS. What we have here is an edifying article revealing virtually nothing new, whether to New Yorkers, left, right, center, or those in "flyover country." A DISTINCTION WITH A DIFFERENCE. A DISTINCTION WITHOUT A DIFFERENCE. Rudy's views haven't so much changed, nor has his aggressive, hostile, unempathic persona. 9/11 was not everyday in NY, DC, the rest of the world, nor was it everyday in the life of Rudy G.'s mind. All voters will ultimately realize this, and if anything, Michael Powell's story shall have the effect of cornering anti-Rudyites/Dems as well as the Rudy fanatics/followers into their respective, almost "Rudyesquely" stubborn, preconceived corners.---Thank you Brian and WNYC and the Times; Respectfully

Oct. 06 2007 12:19 AM
joel hubbard from nyc

I am four time “Rudy” voter, a Republican and a life time member of the N.R.A. after moving from Wyoming during the “Crack is Wack” epidemic; to “New York is Summer Festival” in the days of Dinkins, Rudy” was urbane breath hot air. I met him with his lovely second family while my kit played in the sand box of a rat infested, drug paraphernalia strewn playground on the upper eastside. Rudy shook my paw firmly looked straight in my beady eyes and said “Hi, I’m Rudy and I would like to make a different for children and all New Yorkers if you will vote for me, I will!” Gee whiz a former Federal procurator who can take out the Mafia, who am I to withhold my vote. Rudy made a different and Mayor Mike has made New York unrecognizable, my family went from working poor to the myth of the middle class that tries to live in Manhattan on $100,000. yr.Someone said “If you can make it here you can make it anywhere” so with my tail between my hunches I’ll ferret off into the sunset with my family reassured in the knowledge that a new improved Rudy can make different for America and the world. Anyone who can wear a Yankees’ uniform as a kid in Brooklyn,dress in drag on national television is my kind of human and a fireman’s worst nightmare. As minority and former endangered species this no elephant dung I implore you. Try if you can to imagine Rudy’s trigger finger on the arsenals of democracy.
Sincerely yours in Christ,

Mustela nigripes

Oct. 05 2007 02:22 PM
Leon Freilich from Park Slope

DEEP-DOWN RUDY
The radio Giuliani of old
Was wrathful, talky, funny and bold,
A liberal down to his pedicured toes.
Prepared to laugh at callers' woes.
Today he's a gentle, stage-wise Tory--
His newfound role in the primary story.
But now that he's filled with conservative fire
Do we call him a turncoat, who's changed his attire?
Let's credit the man: he's merely a liar.

Oct. 05 2007 01:50 PM
Jim Pharo from NYC

I thought Michael Powell's piece told me an awful lot about Michael Powell and not terribly much about Rudy Giuliani.

To have chosen these clips is to gloss over some of his most prevalent themes -- his lust for publicity, his thin skin when it came to criticism, his disdain for consensus building, etc.

These were not personality tics, mere matters of style. They defined the man.

Oct. 05 2007 01:29 PM
ab from nyc

TERRIBLE Mayor. Would be an outrageously horrible president, end of story.

Oct. 05 2007 10:42 AM
Phyllis from New Jersey

How interesting that this show covered something my BFF Linda and I have been discussing for months. Both former NYC residents, we've been waiting for the Guiliani we knew - the one with the moderate case of megalomania - to surface for the country to see. This was a man who thought he was always right and who went out of his way to make anyone who disagreed with him feel like a piece of dirt. He would go to any lengths to get his way - remember his machinations to get the west side stadium?

We already have a President who is unwilling to entertain viewpoints other than his own. I don't think we need another one.

Oct. 05 2007 10:35 AM
LL from Queens, NY

People need to remember that Guiliani had no respect or feelings for other people's lives. There were a number of innocent and guilty minorities killed execution style by the police. Guiluiani would defend these actions 100% and would come down on the victims by blaming them. I remember one case of one man gunned down in midtown near Time Square. He was an average man who happened to be black who went out with his co-workers for drinks after work. On his way home he is approached by a thug trying to sell him drugs. The thug happened to be an undercover cop. The man, who had had a couple of drinks - as most average white men do on a daily basis in the City- was insulted and started yelling and beligerent against the undercover cop who had insulted him. He was immediately executed with at least 3-4 gunshots.
The mayor refused to apologize or to modify or question the tactics of the police officers. He blamed the dead man for not being submissive when approached by the stranger. And he even questioned what he was doing on the Westside of Manhattan.
This is a policy that still continues (though with a much friendly face) where men of color are supposed to act submissive when approached by aggressive men pulling gun becuase they may or may not be undercover police officers.
IF these men of color have a natural reaction to be offended or to try to run away from a stranger with a gun then its justified to gun them down the spot

Oct. 05 2007 10:30 AM
eCAHNomics from nyc

Ghouliani is your garden variety, alpha male authoritarian. In that regard, he's exactly like W. That's what he was as a mayor & that's what he'd be like as a prez. With him or against him. His way or the highway. That's why Rs love him and his (laughingly-referred-to-as) policies are irrelevant, including his stand on family values. Please read John Dean's Conservatives Without Conscience.

Oct. 05 2007 10:28 AM
Leo from Brooklyn

The conventional wisdom in politics today is to make yourself unavailable to the serious press and to unscripted public situations. Your words will only be used against you in a campaign, and won't help you.

It concerns me that this project punishes a politician for making himself available in an important format. Is Michael Powell concerned about that?

Oct. 05 2007 10:22 AM
Hillary Brizell-DeLise from NYC

If Rudy were the one who can go up against the neo-con and hard right machine, I would be behind him; however, the fact that he's already caving to the NRA bodes very poorly, (in addition to that cell call from his wife!) so he's lost me, for sure.
Hillary

Oct. 05 2007 10:22 AM
Erik Freeland from Manhattan

Giuliani reminds me of Bush. He comes of being so self assured (aka cocky) that no matter what the facts are in a certain situation, he will not bend his pre-conceived view on a matter.

Oct. 05 2007 10:20 AM
TM from Brooklyn

I used to think once the rest of the country got an earful of the real Giuliani, of his high-handed, dismissive and insulting manner, they would see the light. Once I re-heard the excerpts fron the call-in, I'm not so sure. He's scolding bleeding heart New Yorkers, exactly what I'm sure a lot of people would like like to do themselves.

The lady who called and said people outside New York won't like his manner was a little off, I think. I think people might see him as a surrogate, telling off the liberals they would like to tell off.

Oct. 05 2007 10:20 AM
Peter D.B. from New York City

What made Giuliani's performance after 9/11 so remarkable is how different it was from the blowhard Rudy we'd known before that. These tapes bring it all back.

Oct. 05 2007 10:19 AM
hjs from 11211

i remember something about rudy trying to stop the mta from carrying anti-rudy ads bought by pro-art group

Oct. 05 2007 10:19 AM
Ron from Upper Eastside

I'm probably voting Democrat this time round, maybe Hilary, but this is the Rudy I like. He puts things into context - a "water" gun at 2:30 am looks more like a machine gun; the irrationality of the NRA. Rudy's a smart, straight forward guy. We need a guy like Rudy in the White House, but maybe next time!

Oct. 05 2007 10:18 AM
Paulo from New Jersey

These radio clips solidify in my mind why he would be a bad choice for President. He was a good mayor, and he was probably a great mayor. However, he's engaged in shameless fear-mongering, vicious partisan attacks, shown signs of a real dictator, and out and out lying (not just sugar-coating). He seems indifferent to those who are killed by the government regardless of the circumstances. He might make a great Attorney General or other secretary in another President's Cabinet. But to hand over the Presidency on the heels of a massive expansion of executive authority under the past President seems to just be inviting King Rudy.

Oct. 05 2007 10:17 AM
slowereastside from manhattan

Rudy pulls no punches? Huh?

That second clip you played ('it was a machine gun') brought back the Rudy I'd almost forgotten -stubborn when wrong, to the point of almost childish absurdity.

*That* Rudy was never going to admit that what the 17 year old was holding was a PLASTIC gun. Just think what he'll never admit about Iraq.

Oct. 05 2007 10:17 AM
Hubert Herring from Dobbs Ferry, NY

I was appalled to hear your reference to Giuliani being "pro-abortion." No one is pro-abortion. People are pro-choice, or pro-abortion-rights. That is a vital distinction.

Oct. 05 2007 10:12 AM