A History of Peanut Butter

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Jon Krampner talks about the history of peanut butter in his book Creamy and Crunchy: An Informal History of Peanut Butter, the All-American Food.

Jon Krampner

tom LI

Tom from astoria - uh, the reason you liked those old brands was due to the added trans fat. While the author says there is no taste reason, there is some and then there is mouth feel, etc...

If they took out the tranfat, they'd not be like when you so enjoyed them...they'd not be Skippy, Jiff, etc...they be quasi-Skippy, Jiff, etc...

Jan. 03 2013 05:17 PM
Amy from Manhattan

The environmental problem associated w/peanut growing I called about wasn't about nitrogen--the person who told me about it said it was very water-intensive & caused desertification.

Jan. 03 2013 01:28 PM
Sophie from Rockland County

My brother used to eat PB and Mayo sandwiches- I guess it really does go with everything.

Jan. 03 2013 01:25 PM
Joel from nyack

There are all natural, and organic peanut butters available at many super markets. You don't have to go to a health food store to find good peanut butter.

Jan. 03 2013 01:24 PM
Ken Braun from Nutley, NJ

On the contrary, peanut butter is very popular in Africa. I have traveled in many parts of West and Central Africa and have seen and eaten a lot of peanut butter, usually in sauces or cakes. There isn't much commercial jarred peanut butter; most households roast and grind their own peanuts, sometimes adding salt and even chili peppers. Peanut oil is also used for cooking.

Jan. 03 2013 01:16 PM
tom from astoria

SInce learning about trans fats I find it very irresponsible that my old favorite brands have not changed to a not trans fat recipe, FOr the convenience of not having to stir it millions of children are eating a regular diet of trans fats? Not so nice.

Jan. 03 2013 01:11 PM