Open Phones: Presidential Hopefuls and 9/11

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Thomas Friedman's latest New York Times column laments that some candidates are exploiting 9/11. Listeners discuss how 9/11 will affect their vote for President.

"9/11 is Over" by Thomas L. Friedman
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Roy Phillips

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Oct. 02 2007 03:31 PM
ab from nyc

Though I must add one thing: I find it funny and highly disappointing that Brian dismissed the guy who spoke about the video and said he couldn't take him seriously

YET, he'll have on Judy "traitor to democracy" Miller on and William "war-monger" Kristol- two people who have been completely discredited and yet he takes them completely seriously. I don't see the difference between them and the video guy except that they are right-wingers.

Sorry Brian...your bias clear as day.

Oct. 02 2007 12:28 PM
ab from nyc

Paulo,

I agree. i just went to look for this video on Youtube and believe me, I'd love to find more damning evidence against Giuliani in addition to the other legitimate stuff out there about the bunker and radio equipment,etc but this seems like a nothing.

Clearly in the video he is talking about getting warning about the collapse not the attack itself.

There is enough legitimate stuff out there that makes Giuliani look bad...let's concentrate on that and not half-baked conspiricy theories because all that does is make his opponents look silly.

We just can't let this guy become president!

Oct. 02 2007 12:12 PM
Paulo from New Jersey

I don't buy into the demolition conspiracy theory about 9/11, but the caller WAS right about Giuliani saying he got warning that the buildings were going to COLLAPSE. He didn't say warning that they were going to be ATTACKED.

Although I think this is more indicative that Rudy was trying to trump up his involvement than that he really did have knowledge ahead of time that the buildings were going to collapse. But upon reflection, such an exaggeration makes him look worse because it suggests that he did nothing rather than that he had complete control over the situation.

Oct. 02 2007 12:06 PM
Hillary Brizell-DeLise from NYC

False sense of security that we haven't been attacked in 6 yrs. 1993-2001 was 8yrs...from first WTC attack to 9/11.

We are so egocentric; many other countries have been attacked but we act as though we're the only ones.

We must get past the fear, anxiety and milking of 9/11. Even if it happens again, we have to be forward thinking; we are so much more likely to die from car crashes or disease or accident than from a terrorist act. Move on, people!

The self-pity is so paralyzing and unproductive! This is what has weakened us as a country, weakened our vision.

Hillary

Oct. 02 2007 12:02 PM
hjs from 11211

terrorist win when we are terrified and we are terrified.

Oct. 02 2007 12:01 PM
Edwina from Briarwood Queens

Shame on you for ignoring that caller about Guliani and Peter Jennings. Check it out - He was right.

Oct. 02 2007 12:00 PM
Sue from Bronx

I am not usually a follower of Friedman but this time I totally agree with him and everything he said in that column. He did not endorse anyone, but many people swear by him and I am very happy he wrote this and how thoughtful he showed himself to be. I hope people listen to him.

Oct. 02 2007 11:59 AM
Ron from Upper Eastside

I enjoy Friedman's spirit for getting America back on track, as I believe we have been put on the defensive since 9/11. However, I do believe he is a bit naive in saying that "9/11 is over", as 9/11 was just a continuation of the bombing of the WTC back in 1993. I believe the terrorists are planning other iniatives, and it is imperative that the next candidate address that on some level, without ignoring other important issues at home such as healthcare and our aging population.

Oct. 02 2007 11:58 AM
ab from nyc

Giuliani has no respect for democracy and I fear he will be Bush 2 on steroids. He had clear dictatorial tendencies when he was Mayor and unfortunately because he made the trains run on time so to speak (though the main thing he is credited with such as the crime rate going down did so under Dinkins and was a national trend during his administration) a lot of people prone to following people like that think he's a hero. He's worse than Bush and this country will be frightening if he comes into power.

And I find the way he has exploited 9/11 is just disgusting.

Oct. 02 2007 11:57 AM
Wendy Fabrizio from Paramus, NJ

I say we take the date off the calendar. Benchmarks like AD and BC serve as purpose. If a presidentail even mentions that date, I would not cast a vote for them. Start frying bigger fish, and move on.

Oct. 02 2007 11:56 AM
hjs from 11211

it won't effect my vote. my fears are healthcare's future, our children are poorly educated and our infrastructure is falling apart and we are not economically competitive on the world stage.

Oct. 02 2007 11:51 AM
Michael from Boerum Hill, Brooklyn

I've been trying to move past 9/11 since 9/12/2001! The exploitation of that terrible day by Bush, Cheyney and Giuliani only serves to keep us mirred in a politics of fear. That's no way to solve problems or to face the reality of a complicated world with diverse and often cross-cutting interests. I also give Thomas Friedman credit for writing that his own initial response to those events had been wrong.

Oct. 02 2007 11:45 AM