How Much is Too Much?

Monday, October 01, 2007

Rebecca Flournoy, associate director at PolicyLink and Tracy Shelton, consumer attorney at the New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG, discuss why prices differ in supermarkets depending on their location. And associate producer Jim Colgan has results from "Are You Being Gouged?"

Rebecca Flournoy and Tracy Shelton

Leafar from Queens, NY

I am happy to announce that today I took Robert's advice and it changed my life. Yesterday I was significantly overpaid for groceries, some socks, and some parts for my broken car. This morning I have not only opened my own grocery store and sock shop, I've decided to build my own car with a jar of mayo and dental floss. I will keep you all posted.

Oct. 05 2007 10:04 AM
kevin from nyc

Yo "ab". Chill.

Oct. 01 2007 04:26 PM
ab from nyc

Easy to say if you're a yuppie living in a gentrified area.

I've got news for you: It isn't like Prospect park or Manhattan most other place! Wake up and step out of the ivory tower!

Oct. 01 2007 03:52 PM
Sunphat Yau from X-nyc-LA 4a bit

So where is the responsibility of the consumer in all of this? It seems like once again, another instance in the "age of victimization". Caveat emptor my fellow Americans. Be a smart shopper and not a blind consumer.

Oct. 01 2007 12:10 PM
ab from nyc

And you consider a "lively debate" to be "open your own store"?????????? What about the fact that the poor often wind up paying more for a variety of reasons should they "open their own store"? C'mon....

Oct. 01 2007 12:03 PM
Ryan from NYC

I do not understand the complaint on gauging. If individuals feel so much that 'monopolistic' mom & pop stores are 'gauging' prices for too much profit, then why do these individuals not open their own stores? Set the price to this 'right' level, steal their business and make more profit. This is the basic function of the entrepreneur within a market structure.

I'd strongly recommend for a more lively debate, the next time you address this topic, bring someone who advocates a free market.

Oct. 01 2007 11:59 AM
Robert from NYC

We're all being gouged. Yes folks, shop around.

Oct. 01 2007 11:58 AM
Robert from NYC

"Healthy" and "Organic" are euphemisms for rip-off too. Even the Farmers' Markets have got into the rip-off business. for folks who don't pay rent their prices have skyrocketed.

Oct. 01 2007 11:57 AM
amanda from harlem

doesn't a store have the freedom to set their prices however they want to?
if a consumer wishes to they can shop around.
thats just free market competition, right?

Oct. 01 2007 11:54 AM