Following Up: Next Stop New York!

Friday, September 28, 2007

This week Senators Barack Obama and John McCain came to New York. WNYC's Andrea Bernstein talks about what candidates get out of New York and what New Yorkers get in return. Also, presidential candidate John Edwards has decided to opt for public financing, does this mean his candidacy is in trouble?

Andrea Bernstein

Zoe from Belgium (for now)

You know, if specifics would win elections, then Bush wouldn't have beta out Gore or Kerry. People don't vote on specifics - haven't we realized that yet?. Isn't that the one of the biggest complainst about the democrats by "middle america"? You talk, talk, talk and throw out all these numbers and facts, but what do you BELIEVE is what they care about. Will you lead? The specifics are not going to make a difference (especially when they're SO similar - why are you splitting hairs that no one else will see - its either health care or not, NOT which health care plan -- we do not have that luxury in reality).

I hope I'm wrong, but we shall see.

Obama is doing something right by talking about what our values are, and talking about who we trust. Because those of us that are "progressive, liberal" need to emphasize our values, not the minutiae of pretty similar plans analyzed over and over again.

Oct. 02 2007 04:43 AM
ab from nyc

Rrrrrrgh......I hope your scenario is correct Brian....because the most frightening thing would be to have Giuliani be the presidential candidate. He would be like Bush on steroids!

Sep. 28 2007 11:42 AM
Robert from NYC

Yes Chad, Kucinich is the best in this but you won't hear that here. The media have already decided that there are but 3 Democrats in the running and need I list their names? Well, this will be the first year if all my 40 years of voting that I will not vote because I know Kucinich hasn't got a chance in this hypocritical atmosphere. Yes, seems the candidates all take the Hipocritic Oath!

Sep. 28 2007 11:41 AM
Marybeth Maida from red bank nj

just wanted to say that the clip of Obama saying what America is (and isn't) made me want to cry, as what he says we aren't is exactly, under this administration, what we've become.

I don't know who I'm going to vote for, but I think Hillary has proven during her time in the Senate that she is quite able to get what she wants as a legislator, and I think she would be very effective at implementing her health care program because she knows success will not come down in a decree from the WH, but rather comes up through the houses of congress.

Sep. 28 2007 11:40 AM
Brian from Manhattan

With regards to McCain taking public campaign financing: if a candidate refuses public funding up-front, they should not be allowed to receive it later if they find they cannot raise enough private lobby money. One strike and you're out when it comes to using public funds--take it or leave it, no 2nd chances.

Sep. 28 2007 11:39 AM
ab from nyc

Edwards says good stuff but seems like a big phoney to me

Sep. 28 2007 11:37 AM
frustrated from brooklyn

i would recommend a more knowledgeable political correspondent for future analysis.

Sep. 28 2007 11:36 AM
Sally Bader from Bronx

Brian,

What's with the callers???

You are really upsetting me.

Sep. 28 2007 11:35 AM
Brian from Manhattan

Wow! ditto u2, Sally...looks like there is a consensus among listeners about Kucinich and the exclusion of his ideas.

Sep. 28 2007 11:32 AM
Brian from Manhattan

Ditto that, Chad. I appals me how good ideas are pre-screened and excluded by the media -- even the "impartial" NPR!

Sep. 28 2007 11:31 AM
bill from brooklyn

I tried posting a minute ago but it didn't work.

Brian- why are the choices only Obama and Hillary?

I trust John Edwards on health care- he came out with his plan first and is not in bed with Corporations like the other two "leading" candidates. He was great in the debate the other night, unlike B.O.

Sep. 28 2007 11:30 AM
Brian from Manhattan

Brian, I love the way you consistently narrow your discussion to only the "Top 3" (2 in this case).

Rep. Kucinich reflects the most integrity in his healthcare reform proposal -- "no strings attached," REMOVE private insurance companies from the equation of universal coverage.

It would be nice if you would broaden your perspective and be more inclusive. Otherwise you become part of the problem and not part of the solution.

Sep. 28 2007 11:30 AM
Sally Bader from Bronx

Brian,

Why do you only talk about Hillary and Obama's plans? They are the same thing.

Dennis Kuccinich has a plan endorsed by Michael Moore and it is more in line with what Americans needs are.

Why are you denying this information?

What kind of station is this?

Sally

Sep. 28 2007 11:30 AM
Brian from Manhattan

I want to know where all the money raised for a campaign goes when the candidate is not the party's nominee?

Sep. 28 2007 11:27 AM
bill from brooklyn

Obama is short on specifics and long on rhetoric about "change". what else is new? gald the pundit are finally figuring that out based on the debate and reaction to on MSNBC the other night.

Sep. 28 2007 11:25 AM